Laurel Ridge Elementary
Updated January 2016
- During drop-off and pick-up please be patient, move all the way forward and watch for people in the crosswalk.
- If you use the playground after school, please ensure that your are providing close supervision as the aftercare program is only responsible for those students enrolled in the program.
- We have numerous students with pet allergies and fears. Please refrain from bringing pets on campus during school hours and to the playground during aftercare hours. Additionally, we are having issues with people cleaning up after their pets so if you are on campus with your pets please be sure to pick-up after them.
- Parents are asked to remain outside the building during dismissal starting at 1:45 pm. This is for the safety of all students and staff. Student checkout ends promptly at 1:45 pm. If you need to visit the classroom or teacher(s) after dismissal, you can enter the building at the conclusion of dismissal.
- We are not able to accept transportation changes over the phone. We need to ensure that we can verify the person making the request is authorized to make such a change. There is no way for us to do this over the phone.
- In case of inclement weather, decisions about school closures and/or delays will be made no later than 5:00 am. Check the DeKalb Schools website or media outlets for details.
From the Counselors' Office: Attendance Protocols
One of the most important things your child can do to achieve academic success is also one of the most basic: coming to school every day. Attendance matters for doing well in school and life starting in kindergarten and in pre-kindergarten. Our goal this year is to ensure that every student attends school regularly.
Excused absences are defined by law and in the rules of the Georgia Board of Education. Students enrolled in the District shall be excused from attending school in the following circumstances:
1. Personal illness;
2. Death or illness in the immediate family;
3. Religious holidays;
4. Instances where attendance by the student will be hazardous;
5. Tests and physical exams for military service and the National Guard;
6. A student whose parent or legal guardian serving in the U.S. military may be allowed up to five days per school year to visit with the parent or legal guardian either prior to the parent or legal guardian’s deployment or while the parent or guardian is on leave from deployment.
Per DeKalb County School District Attendance Protocol, students with three or more days of unexcused absences will be placed on an attendance contract. Dr. Thomas will be contacting parents to review absences and sign contracts as needed.
REDISITRICTING MEETINGS *EFFECTS DRUID HILLS CLUSTER BUT NOT LRE DIRECTLY*
DeKalb County School District will be holding three (3) public meetings to present redistricting options to address overcrowding in the Cross Keys Cluster. The community will have an opportunity to voice their comments on the proposed options at these meetings. The affected schools include Briar Vista ES, Cary Reynolds ES, Chamblee HS, Cross Keys HS, Dresden ES, Fernbank ES, Montclair ES, Warren Tech, and Woodward ES.. Final recommendations on redistricting will be presented for approval at the March 2016 Board Meeting.
Meetings will be held:
Thursday, January 14th 2016, 6:00 pm at Sequoyah Middle School – 3456 Aztec Road Doraville, GA 30340
Tuesday, January 19th 2016, 6:00 pm at Druid Hills High School – 1798 Haygood Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30307
Thursday, February 11th 2016, 6:00 pm at Cross Keys High School – 1626 N. Druid Hills Road NE Atlanta, GA 30319
DCSD Board Meeting. Work Session 2 pm and Board Meeting 7 pm. Meetings are held at 1701 Mountain Industrial Blvd. They can be streamed online and watched on Comcast 24.
4:30-6:30 Parent-Teacher Conferences. Watch courier for sign-up sheet.
6:30pm - PTA Meeting
January 13 - 6pm in the Ms. Hammer's room.
Ms. Hammer will review how to read the score reports as well as how student qualify for the gifted program. Score reports for 1st, 3rd and 5th were just sent home. Come understand the next steps.
Redistricting Meeting. 6:00 pm at Sequoyah Middle School – 3456 Aztec Road Doraville, GA 30340
Honors Day. Watch courier for details.
Lego Robotics Super Regional Competition.
Clarkston High School
6:00 pm at Druid Hills High School – 1798 Haygood Drive NE, Atlanta, GA 30307
Emory Lavista Parent Council Meeting. 8:45am – "Legislative Update" - Oak Grove Elementary School