Tashua Family Weekly Update
Mrs. Neumeyer, Principal
January 21, 2022
Dear Tashua Families,
This week, our students learned all about Dr. Martin Luther King and his famous “I Have a Dream” speech. These four words spoken by Martin Luther King Jr. have inspired hundreds of thousands, even millions of people, to this day. Dr. King pushed for equality, kindness and acceptance for all, no matter a person’s race, religion or economic status.
Mrs. McKenna, our Media Specialist, shared the following resources with teachers to support their instruction:
We are pleased to share a list of our students who have submitted an entry to Senator Chris Murphy's annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Essay Contest! Thank you to these students who have taken the time to participate (if we missed anyone, please let us know):
Mrs. Kimberly's class: Knyla Brunson
Mrs. Farr's class: Logan Mahendran
Mrs. Preman's class: Cora Bowcock, Aishwarya Maddukuri
Ms. Kenler's class: Riley Welch
Mrs. Lynch's class: Hannah Cartell, Blake Damast, Trey Lewis, Alyssa Rizzetta, Stella Schempp, Haley Sineglasov, Olivia Zentz
Mrs. Pierce's class: Sara Antihi, Chloe Lewis, Alisha Mahendran, Logan McDonough, Alexis Sineglasov, Sarika Nair, Shireen Vellanki, Parker Zentz
The students were thrilled to receive a surprise visit from Thunder last Friday! As they passed through the hallways at dismissal time, Thunder gave them "high fives" and complimented them for demonstrating positive T.I.G.E.R.S traits.
Please be reminded, we are currently in the process of the budget season. It is important to take some time to familiarize yourself with the budget requests that are being proposed for the 2022-2023 year.
- Budget Page on TPS Website – https://www.trumbullps.org/boe/budget.html
- Dr. Semmel's PowerPoint Presentation: https://www.trumbullps.org/Attachments/boe/budgets/22-23/Presentation-1-11-22%20PDF.pdf
- January 11 BOE Presentation; including High School, Athletics, Technology https://www.facebook.com/TrumbullCommunityTelevision/videos/660802131623401
- January 13 BOE Presentation; including TECEC, Elementary School, Middle School and Special Education https://www.facebook.com/TrumbullCommunityTelevision/videos/600165267744119
We truly appreciate your ongoing support and active involvement in your child's education!
As always, if you have any questions, concerns or good news to share, please feel free to email me at NeumeyeJ@trumbullps.org or contact me at school by calling 203-452-4433.
A Few Highlights from the Classrooms
First Grade Students
In first grade this week, students are starting a new unit focused on adding and subtracting on the number line! Here, students worked together to place themselves in the correct number order 0-10. Later, they placed these on the life-size number line and practiced counting forward and backward by “hopping” number to number.
Fourth grade students have been thinking about goals for the new year. They came up with new things they’d like to try, areas in which they’d like to improve, and ways that they can make a difference. Bring on 2022!
Spotlight on Social Emotional Learning
This week in Social Emotional class lessons, students have learned about:
Grades K- Grade 2: Continuing with lessons on Tattling vs. Reporting
Students read A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue by Julie Cook.
They also learned the difference between Tattling and Reporting in the school setting.
Reporting is appropriate when: someone is sick, hurt, or there is danger.
Tattling is when everyone is okay, it was an accident, or it doesn't involve you.
In addition, they learned the 4 Rules of Tattling:
- Be a Danger Ranger
- Be a Problem Solver
- It is a Now nor Not Now Problem
- MYOB- Mind your Own Beeswax
Grade 4 and 5: Friendly vs Hurtful Teasing
- You are friends with the person
- Nobody gets upset
- Nobody is ganging up on a person
- It is done with good intentions and a friendly tone of voice
- Topics of teasing is not things that are out of a persons’ control
- Topics of teasing are not sensitive subjects that can hurt feelings
- You don’t know or are not friends with the person
- Someone gets their feelings hurt
- One person is targeted by many
- Topics of teasing is about physical or mental ability or appearance
- Topics of teasing is about sensitive subjects: politics, religion, culture, race, grades
- Teasing is done to show off or make others laugh
- Teasing continues even when asked to stop
Delayed Opening Hours:
1 ½ hour Delay – 10: 05 AM – 3:20 PM
2 hour Delay – 10:35 AM – 3:20 PM
2 ½ hour Delay – 11:05 AM – 3:20 PM
Early Dismissal Hours:
8:35 AM – 1:00 PM
Warm Clothing for Recess:
Please be sure your child comes to school with a warm jacket or coat, hat, and gloves. We try to get our students outside, even in the cold weather, so it is important that they are dressed properly.
School Community Initiatives
Tashua's Got Talent 2022
What is your special talent? Singing, dancing, playing an instrument, or comedy? We want to see it! Sign up to participate in this year’s variety show. We will be virtual again this year, so start thinking about your act over the break and sign up here: Tashua’s Got Talent 2022. A link to access the complete Tashua's Got Talent 2022 show will be emailed on Thursday, February 17th.
From the Desk of Nurse Chamale
Reminders from the Health Office...
Anyone (regardless of vaccine status) with the following symptoms may have COVID:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
For the updated isolation, quarantine, testing and return to school guidelines please click here
To report a covid positive student please go to the link below to report the case
Please use the following link to upload your child's completed Vaccination Card: Tashua Vaccination Upload Form. You must be signed into your child's @trumbullps.net google account to complete this form and upload the card. If you receive an error message, "you need permission" it is because you are not signed in to your child's google account.
Testing and vaccination resources:
Covid Testing Locations
Covid-19 Vaccination Registration:
Friday, January 28th
- Spirit Day - Wear your TASHUA PRIDE Gear
Tuesday, February 1st
- Chinese Lunar New Year - "Year of the Tiger"
- First Day of Black History Month
- Fathers' Club Meeting; 8:00 PM
Wednesday, February 2nd
- Groundhog Day
- Read Aloud Day
Thursday, February 3rd
- Virtual parent presentation sponsored by the PTA; Dr. Rebecca Shrag-Hershberg will be presenting on childhood anxiety; 8:00 - 9:00 PM - Meeting link is provided below.
Friday, February 4th
- Winter Olympics; Feb. 4th - Feb. 17th - Kickoff for "Heart of a Champion"
- Wear Read - Healthy Heart Awareness Day
Tuesday, February 8th
- BOE Meeting; 7:00 PM
Friday, February 11th
- Favorite Sports Team Day - Wear TEAM Gear and donate $2.00 to our Grade 5 Student Activities
- Valentine's Day Luncheon for the staff hosted the PTA
Sunday, February 13th
- Super Bowl
Monday, February 14th
- Valentine's Day
Thursday, February 17th
- PTA Meeting; 7:00 PM
- Tashua's Got Talent - Virtual Show
Friday, February 18th
- No School; Presidents' Weekend
Monday, February 21st
- No School; Presidents' Weekend
Tuesday, February 22nd
- BOE Meeting; 7:00 PM
Friday, February 25th
- Spirit Day - Wear your TASHUA PRIDE Gear
Sunday, February 27th
- PTA sponsored Tashua Day at Xperiment Virtual Reality - 100 Hawley Lane in Trumbull; 11:00 - 3:00 PM - details are listed below
Updates from our PTA
The Tashua School PTA is excited to sponsor a parent workshop about child anxiety with Dr. Rebecca Shrag-Hershberg. Please save the date to join on Thursday, February 3rd from 8-9pm:
Virtual on Google meets: Video call link: https://meet.google.com/ubv-mrtr-hji
Or dial: (US) +1 636-334-6944 PIN: 763 497 915#
SAVE THE DATE
Tashua Day @ Xperiment VR - Come join your Tashua friends on Sunday, February 27 from 11-3pm at Xperiment Virtual Reality at 100 Hawley Lane in Trumbull. Sign up to play for 30 minutes or 60 minutes and a portion of all proceeds will go directly back to our school! Enter to win a $50 VR gift card too by purchasing a raffle ticket. More details to follow!!!
We have limited amounts of vintage (2020) swag. Order on Membership Toolkit:
Pura Vida bracelets are still available! Order on Membership toolkit: https://tashuaschoolpta.membershiptoolkit.com/packet/4337
UPDATES FROM OUR GRADE 5 ACTIVITIES COMMITTEE
Our first 5th grade fundraiser in December was a huge success!
Here are a few others we have coming up....$2 to participate.
· Favorite Sports Team: Friday, Feb 11th
· Mismatch Day: Friday, Mar 11th
We are excited to announce that yearbooks are on sale!
Herff Jones will be our new yearbook company this year. Please place all orders by no later than 4/1/22!
Softcovers are $27 and hardcovers are $35 (these prices include the service charge).
5th Grade Activities (for 5th graders only):
Here are some of the events we have lined up.
Please be on the look-out for flyers/sign-ups!
· Escapology: Jan 30th
· Mohawk Mountain Snow tubing: Feb 13th
· Bridgeport Islanders Game: Mar 5th
· Rockin Jump: Mar 25th
· Board & Brush: April 10th
· Insports: Parent/5th Grader Game Night- TBD
· Adventure Park- Climbing & Zip-lining- TBD
UPCOMING PTA DATES
PTA General Meeting Dates:
IT’S NEVER TOO LATE TO JOIN THE PTA
Some of things that membership dues pay for include:
• Recognition of staff throughout the year with breakfasts and lunches
• Activities and goodies for staff during staff appreciation
• Grade level activities, including a number of activities for the 5th grade
• Supplies for Teachers
• Professional Development for Teachers
• Folders and assignment books for students
Our PTA registration for the 2021-2022 school year is already up and running! Please use the link below to join and access your membership: