The Cougar Connection
Weekly Update for Families - September 7, 2023
From Dr. Gruman
Dear Northwest Community,
We have enjoyed some competitive matches and games since the opening of our fall sports season! We are excited to host our first home football game tonight at 7 pm at Shawnee Mission District Stadium North Location. Our Marching Cougar Pride will be taking the field to help us open the event and then at halftime to share their show Fade. Our talented KUGR crew will broadcast the game through the NFHS Network tonight. We recognize that Chief’s Kingdom will be loud and proud tonight and we hope to see many of our fans to show our Cougar Pride!
We have the opening performances of our theater season with the Repertory Theater Show Crazy 8’s on Friday, 9/8, and Saturday, 9/9 at 7pm.
Here are the updates for the upcoming week:
- Monday, Sept. 11th is an Odd Block Day (not a 7-period day).
- Wednesday, Sept. 13th – PTSA meeting in the Library at 6:00 pm.
- Thursday, Sept. 14 is our first Late Start of the school year. Class begins at 8:40 am with 2nd block.
- Friday, Sept. 15 is No School for our students. Teachers will be engaged in professional learning on this day.
- Looking ahead – The Week of Sept. 25th is our Homecoming Week. On Thursday, Sept. 28th we have an assembly, parade at 1:00 pm, concluding with the game that night.
We hope you have a wonderful weekend!
All the best,
From our Northwest Counselors
Check out the scholarship flyer for scholarship night for all grades hosted by the Shawnee Mission School District.
College Now enrollment DEADLINE is September 15th
Students needing help should meet counselors in the mall area during seminar—September 12th or September 14th. Enrollment steps and links can be found on the the SMNW Student Services website!
Zach Cash A-D email@example.com
Barb Legate E-J firstname.lastname@example.org
Katie Cole K-Pe email@example.com
Jessica Andrade Pf-R (ELL) firstname.lastname@example.org
Jordan Landis S-U email@example.com
Erica Jablonski V-Z (RWL) firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow this link to purchase items, support fundraisers, volunteer or become a PTSA Member! Please see the link below for JUNIOR families:
Visit the SMNW PTA website for details on all upcoming events and activities
Click Here to see what's planned for September Staff Appreciation (provided by Junior Families)
September 13 - PTSA meeting at 6 pm in the library. Please join us!
Homecoming Donations / Volunteers needed - Snack donations and volunteers are needed for the Homecoming Dance on September 30! See the sign up here
Planning for After Prom '24 is already underway! We are looking for parents of ANY GRADE students to jump in and be a part of this amazing, long-standing NW tradition with the overall goal of keeping our junior and senior students and their guests SAFE in the hours after prom. There are many committees to choose from, so pick something that matches your time and talents! Our first full committee meeting is Wednesday, September 20. Check out the committee sign up here.
Yard sign sale - orders are due Saturday, September 9.
NW Athletic Links
Parents, athletes, and others throughout the community, here is the latest edition of “EVERYDAY CHAMPION” Newsletter We hope you enjoy. You can click the link below for the September 11, 2023
DS Bus Lines
Shawnee Mission School District 2023-24 Busing
It is hard to believe another school year has come to an end and it is time to start enrolling for 2023-24 school year bus service. Please note the following important information for 2023-24 busing:
- Bus registration opened Monday, June 12, 2023 for riders in eligible service areas. Bus registration may be found at the following link: DS Bus Lines registration
- 2023-24 bus fees will remain the same as the prior year.
- Early bird discount of $160/semester/student or $320/year/student if paid by July 21
- Paid after July 21 will be $185/semester/student or $370/year/student
- Any student attending their home school and living 2.5 miles or more from the school qualifies for free busing. Registration is required.
- Students who qualify for the Child Nutrition Meal Benefits – free and reduced priced meals may also qualify for free transportation, and enroll to ride existing routes. When registering, please provide a copy of the Child Nutrition Meal Benefits Eligibility letter to DS Bus Lines to complete the enrollment process. SMSD families can apply for Child Nutrition Meal Benefits after July 1st on School Café - https://www.schoolcafe.com/SHAWNEEMISSION.
- Transportation changes put in effect during the 2022-23 school year will remain in effect for the 2023-24 school year. This includes limiting high school routes to students residing over 2.0 miles from their school.
- Bus routes and stop locations will be determined based on those who register for busing. A minimum number of registrations (50 paid) is required in order to offer a route.
- Annual transportation registration is required for students to receive bus service.
For more information on Shawnee Mission School District transportation, please visit https://www.smsd.org/families/transportation or call DS Bus Lines at 913-384-1190.