Room 9 News
MAP Testing Schedule
Tuesday, January 20 from 10:35-11:50- Language
Wednesday, January 28 from 9:00-10:15- Math
Your kids will know what they scored and what their goal was, so ask them if you'd like to talk about it with them. I will share these results with you at our Spring Conference.
30 Day Plank Challenge
t's been a powerful lesson in sharing what makes the child, "Just Do It" and how they attain their goal that day, and how much our thinking and environment has to do with our performance. The kids and I write in our Reflection Journals for about 10 minutes afterward and usually share a couple-few each day. So far, they've taken pictures of their journal writing and will share these with you via an Educreations presentation, which they will upload to Google Drive in the near future. It's a work in progress, just as this challenge is.
Here is the link if you'd like to join. We are on Day 13 as of Sunday, which is our day of rest this week.
Biography Book Report
On Thursday, we discussed in length, while taking notes on our Biography Notes Packet (green), what is expected of this reading and note taking at home. They brought their packets home the same day.
- There are 4 major areas that they will be concentrating on during and after reading their book.
- The kids will read their book and take notes in these 4 areas as they read. If they have already finished their book, then they will go back and retrieve information needed from the text to take their notes.
- Be sure to address all questions asked for each of the 4 areas by taking notes.
- Bullet each note so that it is separate from the previous and next one.
- SOLID notes are due on Monday, February 2nd. (The kids are making a Keynote in class as their final product.)
- The other part of homework, besides the notes, is to make a Bottle Buddy to accompany their learning of this person. The Bottle Buddy directions are in the back of the packet and is due the following week. The Bottle Buddy will be completed at home. Enjoy!!
Memorizing Math Facts
For the kids who have mastered all and Mixed Facts (100 mixed facts within 7 minutes), then, they will be studying division facts. Good luck!
The paperwork (information and pledge) was thoroughly discussed in class and the kids brought it home on Friday. Please take a look at it and complete the pledge information on the back. It is not due until the day of our jog-a-thon, which is Wednesday, January 28th. This is happening during your child's lunchtime, so if you are in the neighborhood, please stop by and see a lot of goodness happening at SSF!
**This event is during our school-wide Kindness Challenge week, too. What a kind act to do for others. :)
After just being together and following this routine for over a year, the Professor collapsed and died at work from an aneurism. From that day forward... and for the next 10 years, Hachi returned to the train station to meet his master. Give me a break!! I cried the other day in class as I read because it hit me, as things do at certain and unexacting times, the beauty of an animal and the devotion to goodness in his life.
** Hachi teaches the kids about loyalty, devotion, faith and hope, patience and responsibility and most of all... love and friendship. We learn so much from reading about others and the beauty they possess.
We will be documenting this learning on an App of choice as well.
My request: We would like anything you would like to give away!! Items up for bid can be ANYTHING that kids would like to call their own. Items from the past have been: books, DVD's, board games, clothing, picture frames, costume jewelry, bookmarks, paper products, balls, etc. Please send in at least 1 item with your child by Monday, February 9th to make our auction a success. Feel free to unload as many items as you want to get rid of. We thank you for your effort!