The Mustang Minute
January 18, 2019 - Issue 18
Celebrating and Learning
- In 6th grade English class students read a synopsis of Dr. King's life, chose one of his quotes and were given a variety of options to demonstrate their knowledge about his work and how the quote they chose would impact their life. Student could create a Prezi presentation, a Flipgrid video, write an essay, or choose another option. They were in the middle of this process on Friday and will complete the activity on Tuesday.
- 6th grade social studies watched videos of the Civil Rights movement, learned about Dr. King's role and then chose a quote to pair with a picture for a Google Slides display. The students with share their "quote slides" explaining why they chose the quote and photo and what it means to them.
- In 7th grade English, students chose a quote from Dr. King and wrote about how his words could impact others. A few were read aloud while I was there and will be posted to my Twitter Account.
Connected to Martin Luther Kin Day and our Social Emotional Learning Program was a lesson on kindness. Students learned about the scientifically proven benefits of kindness by watching a video, discussing the effects of kindness on a person's health, and finished up with an exercise where students walked around writing compliments to each other on a star or holding hands worksheet. Being kind is especially important at the middle school level where kids often find it easier and "cooler" to be funny, rude, and hurtful. Please ask your children how a little more kindness might benefit us all both in and out of school!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Response to Vaping Concerns
The PTO Meeting on Social Media is FEBRUARY 13th at 6:30 - sorry for the misprint in the connectEd
New Club at CMS
Entering and Leaving during Drop-Off and Pick-up
Chromebook Tips Update
- Remind students that NOTHING should be stored inside their Chromebook case (except their Chromebook) when they close it with other items inside, it cracks the screen.
- Try to keep the battery level above 10% dropping below can cause a hard shut down which can be difficult to restart and recharge.
- Bring those earbuds!
- Charge EVERY night!
After School Activities
Friendship Club: The club meets once a month on Tuesdays in room 107 from 2:10 - 3:00
Cartoon Club: Mondays 2:10-3:05 in room 105
Artist Circle: Meets on Wednesday and Thursday afternoons in A1
Drama Club: Meets on Mondays at 2:15 in 101
Lego Club: Tuesday, February 26th at 2:15 in the cafeteria
CMS Dance: Mondays and Wednesdays 2:15 in the cafeteria
Gay Straight Alliance: Thursdays at 2:15
Student Council: Meetings are announced
SEARCH Mondays 2:10-3:05
Yearbook Club: Meets every other Thursday at 2:15
Honor Band: Mondays 4:00-5:30
Honor Orchestra: Tuesdays 4:00-5:30
Jazz Band: Wednesdays 5:30-7:00
Honor Chorus: Thursdays 3:15-4:45
The PTO meets the second Thursday of each month to hear an update from the principal and discuss planning related to enrichment, fundraising, activities and other topics of interest. You can also stay up to date with the CMS PTO by following us on Facebook. You can contact the PTO at email@example.com.
Our Next Meeting will be WEDNESDAY, February 13th at 6:30 pm. Will will have a special presentation on social media and our kids by John Greeley and Anthony Freeman.
Thursday, January 10: 6th Grade Chorus and Honor Ensembles Winter Concert
Thursday, January 24th: Festival of Bands Concert at NHS (6-8 band)
Wednesday, January 30th: Nation History Day Parent Night 7:00-8:00pm
Thursday, January 31st: All Town Orchestra Concert at NHS (6-8 orchestra)
Thursday, February 7th: LaLa-Palooza Choral Concert at NHS (8th grade chorus and Honor Chorus)