Board of Education
An update from Barrington 220: Jan. 16, 2019
Board to hold referendum information sessions
At its Jan. 15 meeting, the Board of Education discussed ways to inform the community about the $185 million referendum question on the April 2, 2019 general election ballot.
The Board plans to hold three information sessions, in which community members will be able to ask questions about the referendum. All community members are encouraged to attend. Dates and locations will be announced in the next couple of weeks. In addition, more information will be made available on the district website in the coming weeks.
In December, the Board approved placing the $185 million referendum question on the April 2, 2019 general election ballot. Taxpayers will be asked to vote whether to reinvest in our schools and have Barrington 220 issue bonds for $185 million to improve facilities across the district. The Board’s decision was made after a two year community effort called Blueprint 220. This Included many community engagement sessions, which led to the development of a $500 million master facility plan for the district. The master facility plan identifies a variety of Barrington 220's needs over the next 20 years. A $185 million referendum would address those needs which the community has indicated are most critical at this time.
In general, the bonds would be issued to support the following projects:
- Improve safety and security at all Barrington 220 schools
- Eliminate mobile classrooms at BMS-Station, BMS-Prairie and Grove Avenue Elementary
- Repair and renovate aging building conditions such as heating, air conditioning, electrical, plumbing and roofs
- Update and improve classrooms in all schools by creating STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) spaces, adding flexible furniture
- Expand parking lots to improve safety and traffic flow at pick-up/drop-off zones at Barrington High School
- Expand parking lots to improve safety and traffic flow at pick-up/drop-off zones at Countryside, Grove, Lines and North Barrington (pending approval by IDOT, villages and counties)
- Create classroom space at all elementary schools to support students with special needs and students who require movement/sensory breaks throughout the school day.
- Build new 800 seat fine arts center/auditorium at Barrington High School
- Improve PE/athletic facilities at Barrington High School
- Renovate kitchens and cafeterias at all schools
- Renovate Student Services spaces (counseling, attendance, health services, dean’s office) at Barrington High School
If the referendum passes, it is estimated that the owner of a $500,000 home would pay an additional $100 more in annual property taxes, which amounts to 27 cents per day, or less than $2 per week.
Board recognizes National Board Certified teachers
At its Jan. 15 meeting, the Board of Education recognized two Barrington 220 teachers who have received their recertification as National Board Certified teachers.
The credential is considered to be one of the most respected nationwide among educators. Teachers earn the certification through a rigorous process and must renew every 10 years. Barrington 220 currently has a total of 40 educators who have earned National Board Certification. Congratulations to the following teachers on earning their recertification this year:
- Joslyn Katz, an instructional coach at Roslyn Road Elementary, has been with Barrington 220 for 14 years.
- Glenn Miller, a 2nd grade teacher at Lines Elementary, has been with Barrington 220 for 15 years.
Save the Date: Into the Woods
At its Jan. 15 meeting, BHS student council representative Delaney Nelson gave the Board an update on upcoming events at Barrington High School. The BHS Fine Arts Department is proud to present "Into the Woods" for the 2019 BHS spring musical. Shows will take place during the following days and times at the Richard C. Johnson Auditorium at BHS:
Thursday, Feb. 21: 7pm
Friday, Feb. 22: 7pm
Saturday, Feb. 23: 2pm and 7pm
Sunday, Feb. 24: 2pm
Tickets go on sale on Feb. 7. Visit the Barrington 220 Box Office to purchase.