Social Media in Education
What is Social Media?
FACEBOOK IN SCHOOLS
Facebook is a great tool for using in the classroom or as a school for things like:
*promoting home-school communication
*promoting special event nights
* posting reminders about big assignments, tests, report cards, etc.
* reminding parents about or showing off field trips
* showcasing events at school, ie: Awards Ceremonies, graduations, PBIS celebrations, class project presentations, robotics projects, etc.
* students can create a fictitious account for someone while completing a biography unit
* conduct surveys for classrooms to use real-time data when teaching graphing
* keeping families informed of important news concerning the school (sharing newspaper articles following school board meetings)
To the left is a picture of a recent event I posted pictures for our ROES school community to see.
Here is a link to my school's Facebook page that I maintain.
EDMODO IN SCHOOLS
* having a "social hallway" and a "classroom", where students can practice proper grammar (capital letters, ending punctuation, complete thoughts, etc.) vs a more relaxed form of discussion (BRB, L8TR, etc.)
* teachers can post assigned homework and remind of upcoming quizzes or tests
* students can ask questions about homework, while peers or the teacher can respond
* students can have dialogue about books being read in class
* post pictures and videos for classroom activities
* take a poll
The picture to the right demonstrates how a teacher can create an assignment that can be accessed from anywhere with internet access.