8th Grade Language Arts Newsletter
Monday and Tuesday, February 3-4: In-class review of STAAR Reading Simulation
Tuesday, February 4: Tutoring begins for second semester. We will have tutoring every Tuesday from 3:40-4:15. WOW buses will run in the afternoons for any students signed up for the WOW program. Tutoring letters were sent home at the end of last week/early this week for students who did not receive a passing grade on the STAAR Writing Simulation that was taken in January. If your child received a letter requesting that they attend tutoring, sign this form and check whether or not they will participate. Please return these yellow forms as soon as possible.
Wednesday, February 5: Test over Act II of "The Diary of Anne Frank"
Friday, February 7: One-pager report over "The Diary of Anne Frank" due
Friday, February 14: Valentine's Day--commit random acts of kindness! <3
Monday, February 17: President's Day/No school for students/Teacher In-Service Day
Monday, February 24: Westwood Multicultural Night 6:30-8:30 pm (more details will come soon!)
- Poetry Analysis using TPCASTT
- Elements of Poetry including: Figurative Language, Imagery, Irony, Symbolism
- Elements of Non-fiction texts; understanding and summarizing non-fiction
- Comparing, Contrasting, and Connecting texts across genres
- Author's Purpose for writing and communicating ideas and information
- Spelling and Vocabulary building using Greek and Latin roots and affixes
- T = title: Make a prediction about what the title might mean.
- P = paraphrase: Write each stanza of the poem in your own words.
- C = connotation: What words has the author chosen to create mood? What words have positive, negative, or neutral connotations/feelings/meanings?
- A = attitude: What is the speaker's attitude about the topic (tone)?
- S = shifts: Does the poem make shifts in tone or stay consistent throughout?
- T = theme: What message is the author giving about life, the world, people?
- T = title: Examine the title again for meaning.