February is here! We LOVE our parents and families!
Thank you for all you do to support our school! We are able to accomplish so much because of the generosity, support and encouragement of our families! From our PTO volunteers, community mentors, area churches and the Weaverville Police Department we have so many people working to make our school a wonderful place for your child to learn and grow! Thank you for sharing your hearts with us and allowing us to teach your children in a loving environment!
This week is National School Counseling Week! If you and/or your child has been positively impacted by Mrs. Benfield's work, consider sending her a message! Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Love the Bus Week is February 10 - 14
Here are some ways you can show love to your bus drivers:
- Throughout February, students who ride school buses nationwide are encouraged to submit testimonials on behalf of their favorite bus driver explaining why their school bus driver is so special. Submissions can be sent via email to email@example.com and will be uploaded onto the ASBC Love the Bus Web site.
- Children are also asked to give their bus driver a Valentine on February 14th to thank them for the care they take each day driving students to and from school safely. Students can complete the phrase: ‘I love the yellow school bus because…” or “I love my school bus driver because…”
- We are working to reschedule our 3rd Grade Hawk Achievement Awards and Student-Led Conferences. We will share this date as soon as it is rescheduled.
- Due to student and staff sickness, we are not going to be ready to present our 3rd and 4th grade evening program originally scheduled for February 12th. We have decided to reschedule this evening musical event until Thursday, April 2nd. Thank you for your understanding.
Poetry Writing Contest
All students who submit a poem will be placed into a drawing for a chance to participate in a special writing workshop with Mr. Allan Wolf on March 4th.
Students must turn in their poem by Thursday, February 6th.
Mr. Allan Wolf - Poet Visit on March 4th
Two time winner of the North Carolina Young Adult Book Award, as well as Bankstreet College’s prestigious Claudia Lewis Award for Poetry, Allan Wolf is the author of picture books, poetry, and young adult novels. Booklist has named his historical verse novel, The Watch That Ends the Night, one of “The 50 Best Young Adult Books of All Time.” Also a skilled and seasoned performer of 30 years, Allan Wolf’s dynamic author talks and poetry presentations for all ages are meaningful, educational and unforgettable. Florida Reading Quarterly calls Wolf “the gold standard of performing poetry.” Wolf believes in the healing powers of poetry recitation and has committed to memory nearly a thousand poems. Wolf has an MA in English from Virginia Tech where he also taught. He moved to North Carolina to become artistic and educational director of the touring group Poetry Alive!. Wolf is considered the Godfather of the Poetry Slam in the Southeast, hosting the National Poetry Slam in 1994, forming the National Championship Team in 1995, and founding the Southern Fried Poetry Slam (now in it’s 27th year).
Wolf’s books for young people showcase his love of research, history, science, and poetry. His latest YA novel, Who Killed Christopher Goodman?, is based on the murder of a high school friend during the summer of 1979. His latest book of poems for kids, The Day the Universe Exploded My Head: Poems To Take You Into Space and Back Again, is now in bookstores, just in time for the 50th Anniversary of the Landing on the Moon! Wolf’s fifth novel, The Snow Fell Three Graves Deep: Voices from the Donner Party, is due in bookstores Fall, 2020.
Read Across America Week - March 2 - March 6
Here's what you need to know:
- Students will dress up like one of their favorite book characters. The School-wide Book Character Parade will start at 8:15 on Friday, March 6th.
- Please have your child bring the book that matches their character to school this day (or coordinate with the classroom teacher to borrow a copy).
- All students will participate in the parade.
- If you’d like to watch our parade, please sign in at the Title I table in the main lobby and then proceed to the cafeteria.
- NO props that look like weapons and no full face masks.
- Last year, student wore the same costume for Leadership Day. We are NOT doing that this year.
Final 4th Grade Field Trip - Behavior Counts!
Please do not drop off students by the cafeteria in the morning and allow them to walk to the front of the school by themselves. We do NOT supervise this area in the morning and if your child is hurt, then staff members will not be aware. Car riders should be dropped off in the main car rider drop off circle for safety reasons.
Please remember to use Yost Street to access our car rider line even when picking up your child from an afterschool club.
We want our students to be at school everyday but we don't want to share germs! Check out the information below for a quick reminder about sickness.
February 3 - 7 - National School Counseling Week - Thank you, Mrs. Benfield!
February 3 - 3rd Grade ELA County-wide Benchmark
February 4 - PTO Meeting at WvES - 8 AM
February 5 - 4th Grade Math Check-In #2
February 6 - Deadline for students to enter the poetry writing contest
February 6 - BCS Board Meeting - recognizing Allie Snyder as BCS Beginning Teacher of the Year
February 7 - No School - Teacher Work Day
February 10 - 14 Love the Bus Week! - Thank you, to all of our Bus Drivers!
February 10 - 3rd Grade Math Check-In #2
February 13th - 3rd and 4th Grade/Chorus Program "We Have Heart" - CANCELLED
February 20 - Midterms Go Home
February 21 - STREAM Clubs - 8:15 - 9:15
March 2 - 6 - Read Across America Week!
March 4 - Poet Allan Wolf visit to our school!
March 6 - Book Character Dress Up Day and Parade!
March 13 - Early Release Day
March 13 - BCS Math Competition
March 16 - No School - Teacher Work Day
March 19 - Dine Out for Weaverville Schools Event
March 20 - STREAM Clubs - 8:15 - 9:15
March 26 - WvES Advisory Council Meeting
March 27 - WvES Leadership Day - My Poem, My Passion, My Voice (Poetry Cafe Theme) - 12:45 - 1:45
April 2 - 3rd and 4th Grade/Chorus Musical Performance
April 6 - April 10 - Spring Break!
April 22 - Billy Jonas Concert at school
April 24 - Spring Fling at WPS - Mark Your Calendar!
May 4 - May 8 - Buy One Get One Book Fair