The East Siberian Taiga

A travel guide to introduce the taiga

The taiga biome

The taiga/boreal forest biome is a mainly cold biome with many deciduous coniferous trees, as well as many animals you don't see very often in the northern hemisphere. The East Siberian taiga is in eastern Russia. It gets heavy snowfalls in winter, which makes the soil freeze, and the the tempature can get as cold as -65 degrees Fahrenheit, so only the toughest plants and animals can survive there. The summers are short and cool.
Big image

Flora

Many dense forests cover the taiga biome. This is mainly because there are only a few trees and bushes that can survive the hard winters. Among these tough plants are the cranberry bush, Dahurian Larch, and the Siberian Larch.

Fauna

Although the taiga biome is certainly not the most species rich biome, it provides a home for a lot of creatures that don't anywhere else in the world. The brown bear, moose, and reindeer all live in the taiga biome.

Interactions

Animals and ants intertwine in many ways. Here are some examples of communications and relations between the species that live in the East Siberian taiga.

-The lynx eats the snowshoe hare. The hare is one of the lynx's main prey.

-The moose eats the low hanging branches of willow trees for a winter snack.

-The wolf is a predator of moose everywhere as they are not very fast. Wolf populations are growing, and the moose has started to be threatened.

What To Do

The taiga isn't just nature. There's many amazing and unique activities that you can join in on to be surrounded by the taiga's beauty. You can't have some of these experiences anywhere else, so coming to the East Siberian taiga is a great way to get outdoors!

Interesting Facts

There are some things that not many people realize about the East Siberin taiga. One of these things is the Siberian tiger, which is an endangered species. It lives on the Kamchatka Penninsula and it became endangered because it's old home, almost all of Russia, was victim to logging and pollution.

The other thing that people don't know about the taiga biome is that only 12% of taiga's are protected. The other 88% is used for logging, and it is growing increasingly hard for some species to survive. Taiga's are a major source of lumber, and it is not likely to stop soon. We either need to protect more taiga's, or stop logging so much.

Big image

Weather Report

The East Siberian taiga gets about 300-500mm of precipitation per year. The cool summers usually climb to around the 60's or 70's, but the average is 50 degrees Fahrenheit. In the winter the average temp. Is around -10 degrees Fahrenheit, but it often gets into the 10's.

If you plan to go on a trip to the East Siberian taiga, you want to bring fall clothes, like jackets and pants, and summer clothes, like shorts. You can also take camping, because there are many camping sites open. If you go in the winter, you'll want to bring heavy winter clothing, like sweaters boots snow pants, and coats. You can go skiing in a few places, so bring along your skis and maybe even some sleds.

Threats to the Taiga

The taiga is in danger of being over-logged. Although there are many, many trees that are great for lumber, the tree population has started to decrease. We need to protect more taiga areas, or else the taiga will start losing its tree abundance. Other threats are coal mining and pollution. The pollution is mostly coming from China, but people are trying to save the wildlife there.

Endangered Species

Global Importance

The taiga biome is globally important because it covers half the northern hemisphere. It is a huge source of lumber and there would be a much smaller furniture production without it. Also the taiga is home to many animals that only love in this region. The taiga is important because it is natural and beautiful. It contains some of the only intact forests in the world.