The Bibb County School District Newsletter
Sept. 22, 2017
Revised Academic Calendar for 2017-2018
On Thursday, September 21, Board members approved a request to amend the 2017-2018 academic calendar to include Friday, October 6, 2017 and Wednesday, December 20, 2017 as make-up days. To view the action item, click here.
Find the revised academic calendar posted online at https://www.bcsdk12.net/cms/lib/GA01000598/Centricity/Domain/1/17-18%20Calendar%20Revised.pdf.
Due to the impact of Hurricane Irma, the District was forced to cancel all classes for the week of September 11-15, 2017. The District’s Strategic Waiver School System (SWSS) partnership contract does not currently include flexibility from O.C.G.A. § 20-2-168 or State Board of Education (SBOE) Rule 160-5-1-.02. SWSS districts that did not include the O.C.G.A. 20-2-168 waiver in their SWSS contract are held to the rule of four emergency days provided in state statute, plus relief for each school day during a declared State of Emergency. As a result, the District must now make up for instructional time that was lost during the week of September 11-15.
The issues listed below were considered in the decision-making process for make-up days.
- The District recognized the need to afford students as much instructional time as possible.
- The District is leveraging its Pay for Performance Plan to drive high-quality implementation of key initiatives and processes around instruction, attendance, technology usage, and teacher/student performance.
- District high schools are now awarding half-credits each semester, meaning lost instructional time this semester impacts credits for this semester.
- The Fall Break (October 9-13) is too close in proximity for many staff-change plans.
- The Winter Break (February 2018) is being set aside in the event of future school cancellation(s).
- There are currently five days of break in the month of November, as opposed to eight days in December.
- Historical data indicate that student attendance drops when there are less than three days per week.
- All instructional staff are slated to work on Professional Learning Days (October 6 and January 3) and the District is willing to sacrifice one of these days, but not both.
Additionally, Board members approved a resolution authorizing the District to submit an amendment to its SWSS partnership contract with the SBOE in order to add the following waivers: School Day/Year for Students and Employees O.C.G.A. 20-2-168 and SB Rule 160-5-1.02. To view more information about this resolution and request for amendment, click here.
Bibb County School District Superintendent Dr. Curtis Jones Jr. has updated his blog on the District’s website. To view his recent blog entry, in which he discusses the make-up days, visit www.bcsdk12.net/superintendent.
Bibb County School District
Each student demonstrates strength of character
and is college or career ready.
The Bibb County School District will develop
a highly trained staff and an engaged community dedicated
to educating each student for a 21st century global society.