Common Infectious Diseases
By: Sarah Miller
- Strep Throat- Symptoms include sore throat, swollen lymph nodes, headache, and fever.
- Lyme Disease- Contracted by a bite from infected tick, symptoms are red rash, fever, chills, and body aches.
- Bacterial Meningitis- Infection near spinal cord and brain, high fever, headache, vomiting, and a stiff neck. Very serious
- Tuberculosis- infection of the lungs, fatigue, weight loss, mild fever, constant cough.
An antibiotic might be used. Some bacteria have developed a resistance to antibiotics so it is important to take all the medication prescribed.
- The common cold- Many different symptoms that usually last 3-7 days.
- Influenza- Upper respiratory system, symptoms are high fever, sore throat, headache, and cough.
- Pneumonia- Flu can develop into pneumonia, it is a serious infection of the lungs.
- Hepatitis- A group of viruses that infect the liver. Symptoms are fever, nausea, pain in the abdomen, and yellowing of the skin. Types incluse A, B, and C.
Not many medications, the best treatment is rest, well-balanced diet, and plenty of fluids.
- Wash hands often
- Do not share items that can transfer diseases
- Cook and store foods properly
- Avoid contact with sick people
- Stay home when you don't feel well
- Learn to manage stress and get at least 8 hours of sleep
- Eat well-balanced meals
- Exercise regularly
- Avoid unhealthy substances like tobacco, alcohol, and illegal drugs