Did you know ?
Hispanic Heritage Month is this month
The day of September 15 is significant because it is the anniversary of independence for Latin American countries Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua. In addition, Mexico and Chile celebrate their independence days on September 16 and September18, respectively. Also, Columbus Day or Día de la Raza, which is October 12, falls within this 30 day period.
Some important facts
- The U.S. Hispanic population now stands at over 54.1 million, making them the nation’s second-largest racial or ethnic group.
- The number of young Latinos has rapidly increased. From 1993 to 2013, the number of Latinos younger than 18 in the U.S. more than doubled (107% increase)
- The number of Hispanic-owned businesses in 2007, up 43.6 percent from 2002.
- The number of Hispanics or Latinos 18 and older who are veterans of the U.S. armed forces.
- Percentage increase in the Hispanic population between 2013 and 2014.