February 22, 2016
Welcome, Matthew Hayes Eller!
Congratulations, Mrs. Hampton!
Coming Next Week...
Learners encounter an array of grammar skills based on writing instruction, as well as the learner. While many lessons are intentional, skills are often taught according to the learners.
We have seen great improvement in our learners’ writing skills! Sentences have capital letters, end marks, and details! The kids are even doing a better job using various spelling strategies! We appreciate what you are doing at home to support the writing process here at PRS!
Learners are finishing up with point of view and moving towards informational reading. While exploring the reading informational text standard, learners will…
- “Determine the main idea of a text; recount the key details and explain how they support the main idea.”
- “Use text features and search tools to locate information relevant to a given topic efficiently.”
- “Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, distinguishing literal from nonliteral language.”
This week we will continue working on equivalent fractions. In the language of math, there are lots of ways to express the same number, especially when it comes to fractions.
Identifying and generating equivalent fractions is key to the conceptual development of
learners' understanding of fractions. The best way to think about equivalent fractions is
that they are fractions that have the same overall value. Essential vocabulary for this standard includes: equivalent fraction, unit fraction, greater than, and less than.
Note: Grade 3 expectations in this domain are limited to fractions with denominators 2,
3, 4, 6, and 8.
Here are some resources to help your leaner practice:
Patriots at Work!
PRS HEALTH AND WELLNESS EQUIPMENT DRIVE
Suggested Items: Basketballs, Soccer Balls, Footballs, Volleyballs, Kickballs, Yoga Mats, Wiffle Golf Balls, 14 foot jump ropes, Ping Pong Balls, Bean Bags, Hula Hoops, and Stacking Cups.
Donated items can be delivered to Coach Klinger in the gym! - Thanks so much!!!!!
*Don't forget to always wear appropriate footwear to Health and Wellness!
Wide ruled line paper
Lunch Menu for February
Chicken Alfredo, Sweet Peas, Breadstick
Beef Tips w/ Rice, Buttered Carrots, Assorted Veggies
Baked Chicken, Steamed Broccoli, Fresh Roll
Chicken Nuggets, Corn on the Cob, Salad Bar
Ask Me About...
- What is the difference between a simple sentence and a compound sentence?
- Share some of the characters from the stories/books that you read this week. Explain his or her point of view in the story.
- What does it mean if two fractions are "equivalent"?
- Can you name or show a fraction that is equivalent to 1/2?
Updates to Fresh Grade
Community Three - Pike Road Schools
Our Mission: To create a culture of intellectual curiosity where all students have ownership over their learning and are inspired to think, innovate, and create.
Our Vision: Our students are lifelong learners who use their knowledge, skills, and influence to make the world a better place.