Panther Parent News
Keeping our parents in the know
Important New Afterschool tutoring offering with transportation
Hunters Creek Middle School
After School Tutoring
Hunters Creek Middle will offer afterschool tutoring for Math and English Language Arts on Tuesdays and Thursdays starting January 10th. This hour and 45-minute session is designed for students to get support on content that has already been taught during their regularly scheduled class time. This time can also be used for students to ask questions and get support with assignments/projects. Teachers will provide additional activities aligned to the state standards to help where students have weaknesses.
Thursdays-English Language Arts Tutoring
All students will meet in the cafeteria before reporting to the tutoring location.
? Frequently Asked Questions ?
- Do I have to sign-up before staying? No-no sign-up required. Students can stay if they wish or at the teacher’s direction. Students MUST have parent permission to stay afterschool and should be prearranged BEFORE school.
- Is there a BUS that will take me home? YES-students will be provided transportation. There will be a small number of buses used for tutoring. Students may have a lengthy ride home when using the buses. Students will sign-in each day for their transportation needs. The White Oak transportation office will arrange bus stops each afternoon.
- What are the times? Tutoring will run from 2:30-4:15. There are no check-outs from tutoring. The office closes at 3pm and contact will be limited with the student’s afterschool. Please make your plans BEFORE school to ensure transportation is arranged, if not using provided transportation.
- Where is pick up? Students who are getting picked up may do so in the front circle at 4:15pm. Any students that is picked up more than 10 minutes late may lose the privilege of staying for after school tutoring.
- Out of District students? Currently, students who are out of district are not able to utilize the afterschool bus transportation. Students ARE able to attend but will need to provide their own transportation.
- How do I check-in? Each day, students will meet in the Cafeteria to check in. Students will then be split up by grade level and content area.
NC Checkins Tuesday and Wednesday
Way to GO!
CONGRATULATIONS ALL – COUNTY HONORS BAND PARTICIPANTS!
We would like to congratulate 12 Hunters Creek Middle School students for their selection to participate in the All-County Honors Band Clinic to be held at the end of January! These students have worked very hard to earn the opportunity to participate in this event. We are proud that they will be representing Hunters Creek Middle School in this awesome ensemble!
Yearbooks are currently on sale for $25. Orders can be placed online at www.strawbridge.netuse Online Code 105592 or given to homeroom teachers. Additional forms are located in the front office. After March 1st, yearbooks will be $30.
8th grade yearbook ad information has been sent home. Please ask your 8th grade student for the flyer if you are interested in purchasing one. 8th grade ads are due by February 1st.
Potential Onslow Early College Deadline
Any potential OECHS students that their CCCC applications are due by Friday, January 11th. Parents and students have been instructed to turn them in to their middle school guidance counselors. Mrs. Padilla (Career and College Liaison) will come by the middle schools during the following week to pick up all of the applications.
Students also need to sign up for placement testing. The link is listed below and can also be found on the OECHS website. Taking the placement test during one of the designated sessions is required for all applicants!
Welcome to HCMS Military Liason
HCMS would like to welcome Lontonia Bryant, Military and Family Life Consultant. Mrs. Bryant is here to help us serve our military families at HCMS. Here is the contract afforded HCMS this position and some information on how Mrs. Bryant can help.
Effective in the summer of 2007, the DoD contracted with MHNGS to provide licensed professional clinical counselors to augment the child behavioral services offered through the Child & Youth Services (CYS) Program. The program provides non-medical counseling services and addresses short-term problem resolution such as school issues, deployment and reunion adjustments, and parent-child communications. The MFLC-CYS services supporting military children are provided both CONUS and OCONUS. This program not only offers support to military families and their children but also to school personnel and the installation. Everything discussed with the child and/or family is confidential (no paper trail) unless there is a duty to warn incident.
Please request a consent form from the front office.
Free Meals Extended 1/31
FREE MEALS FOR STUDENTS THROUGH JANUARY 31, 2019
Students in Onslow County Schools will all be eligible to receive breakfast and lunch free of charge through January 31, 2019.
The OCS Department of Nutrition has been granted an extension from the USDA to continue to offer our students meals at no cost -- and you do not need to fill out an application for your child to enjoy this benefit. However, beginning on February 1, 2019, all students will return to pre-storm status. This means students who paid for or were provided meals at a reduced cost will be charged from that time forward. Students who were receiving meals at no cost before the storm will continue to receive them for free.