Helping your child succeed

Q&A for parents of English language learners

Q: What does it mean to be an ELL?

A: When your child is identified as an English Language Learner (ELL) he/she receives additional support in English. The school wants to provide English language support so that your child can succeed in his/her classes.

Q: How is my child tested as an ELL?

A: Because of education laws your child must take the same state tests as his/her classmates. He/she also has to take a test to measure English language skills.

Q: Why do they need to take two tests?

A: Both of these tests are required by law. The first test helps us learn how much content they have understood from class. The second test helps the school know how well your child is doing in English and how much support they need. We want your child to succeed!

Q: What support is given?

A: For part of the day your child goes to a separate class just for ELLs. This class is focused on English language learning. The teacher knows the best ways to help your child.

Q: Will my child always get this support?

A: When your child does really well on the English language test, he/she will not go to the class for ELLs. The regular classroom teacher will be able to help your student when he/she needs help. After your child does well on this test, he/she will not be an called an ELL.

Q: What about grading?

A: We teach our teachers to know that ELLs don't always have the same English skills as students who speak English as their first language. So your child's teacher will grade your child on what they are able to do.

Q: How can I help my child at home?

A: We want parents to help their child with homework when they need help. We want parents to know what their child is learning in school. The school has books that are in your first language and in English. These books can go home to your house so that you can help your child.

Q: How do I talk to my child's teacher?

A: Our school has a parent who speaks your language and can help you talk to teachers. Our teachers care about your child and want to talk to you about them.

Q: I don't understand a lot of the papers that come home with my child. What do I do?

A: Your child has one teacher who is there to help you understand these papers. This teacher will meet with you if you come to the school and help translate the papers. You can also call this teacher with questions about your child.

Our school wants to help you and your child. We are a learning community. We are here to help you and want to answer any more questions. We hope this helps and we want to keep helping your family!

16800 Point Lookout Rd.

St. Mary's City, MD 20686