May 9, 2016
"Consult not your fears but your hopes and your dreams. Think not about your frustrations, but about your unfulfilled potential. Concern yourself not with what you tried and failed in, but with what it is still possible for you to do."~ Pope John XXIII
Chats with Chatham
Great things were happening at Harbins this week! I must commend you on your hard work and diligent planning to successfully implement a day of celebrating STEM! The kids were so very excited, and they did an excellent job articulating their work.
Monday night, I had the opportunity to celebrate all the GCPS Teachers As Leaders graduates and honor our very own TAL, Shelly Everett! TAL is an extraordinary program, and we are thankful that our district supports the development of teacher leaders.
Kindergarten Registration was a success, and we welcomed 122 new tigers. Get ready! New little ones are coming soon!
We will meet as a faculty Tuesday after school in the cafe to continue our work with our mission, vision, and frameworks. You'll want to bring your chair and a writing utensil. On the 12th, during your planning, we will be working on RBES end of the year results. We will have to work around Kindergarten Round-up (more details to come).
Please let me stress again that we need as many of you as possible to attend the Units of Study training this summer. This training will be provided by the people who actually wrote the units. We need YOU there!!!
Many of you have asked what will be the plan with the updates regarding Milestones testing per the state. Once we have final direction from GCPS, I will let you know.
I was thinking about you all today for Mother's Day. Whatever your life circumstance may be, I hope you found a way to celebrate the life of mothers.
This year's finish line is getting closer! Remember that as a team and as a family, we CAN do this. Finish strong!
It's GREAT to be a Harbins Tiger!
This is an AWESOME video about teamwork and determination!
Click the red button to go directly to the staff online calendar. The two weeks shown below is just a snapshot.
Who Is Making IT Happen
- Thank you so much to Jennifer Tatum and Linda Wood for using their time to support the Beta Club in the Relay for Life footprints sale. We appreciate you!
- Thank you to everyone who helped make Kindergarten Registration a success. Deneen and Mia did a fantastic job planning it all. And . . . thank you to the kindergarten teachers, Amy D'Angola, Lisa Toler, Jennifer Tatum, Amanda Acres, Kim Looney, Chris Rogers, Nicole Provence, Jennifer Samples, Shelly Everett, Ashley Green, Amy Moore, and all the teens who helped in the play area. YOU made a difference!
BOOK OF HONOR
Please begin sending the Book of Honor recipients to the front to sign the book on Thursday, April 28. If you are new to Harbins, talk with your grade level about how students' receive this award.
Chris has created a google spreadsheet where you should add your students names.
You will include last name, first name and homeroom teacher on the spreadsheet. BE SURE TO SPELL THE STUDENTS' NAMES AS YOU WOULD LIKE THEM ON THE CERTIFICATE.
Only two students should be sent per day.
The last day to add students' names to the google spreadsheet and send the students to the front lobby to sign the Book of Honor is on May 17.
TESTING - SPG, and DAs:
There are still several end of year tests (EOY) required by the county that need to be administered on line. In order to expedite this process, we will keep the Leadership Academy and Professional Development rooms set up as "computer labs." We know you have been without your devices and greatly appreciate your continued patience and flexibility through the remainder of this testing process. Please read and follow the attached computer lab schedules for SPGs, DAs, and available computer lab sign-up times through Friday, May 13. The attached Excel schedule is fixed and my not be altered (If you have concerns about your testing time, come see me.) The link is for open lab times if you want to sign-up for a slot.
Again, we appreciate and value your flexibility and understanding! We also apologize for the inconvenience. You guys are AMAZING!!
District Assessments (DA): Week of May 9 - 13
Grade levels and test administered:
3rd grade - SC, SS
4th grade - LA, MA, SC, SS
5th grade - LA, MA, SC, SS
Schedule: Please look at the tabs at the bottom of the spreadsheet for the schedule for DA and SPG
Gradebook - DAs & SPGs
There is a category called District Assessment (1%) for each of the grade books mentioned above. Please ensure that the score is entered in this category. Please see Christy or Chris if you have any questions.
- Please use NUMBERS for all categories except for Reading Level - reading level should be the F&P letter
- Please type in Student Number, Homeroom teacher name, Grade, Ethnic Code (W,B,A,H,M), and any special ed or gifted info for all new students (you can find this easily by hovering over a student’s name in the gradebook)
- Please don’t DELETE or HIDE any ROWS or COLUMNS and only include students in your homeroom in your data - if you have a student you serve who is in another homeroom, please email the teacher the data so they can include it in their spreadsheet
- If you have no data for a particular line, just leave it blank - there is no need to enter X, n/a, etc.
KidTalk Assessments Finished - May 6
KidTalk Spreadsheet Emailed - May 13
New Gradebook - 2016-2017 School Year
Gradebook Preview Video (click below)
Speaking of Staff Development. . .
Vision will focus on the three essential components of literacy workshop that will include specific instructional strategies that will target the architecture of the mini-lesson and conferring in grades K-12 in order to enhance the writing instruction across the district. Elementary teachers will dig deeply into the Units of Study in Writing and learn how to utilize the district resource on a daily basis in their classrooms in order to accelerate writing achievement. Middle and high school teachers will build units of study for literacy workshop in order to enhance the reading and writing instruction that is taking place each day in the classroom. Participants with at least 80% attendance will earn two PLUs; participants with 100% attendance will receive copies of all professional and mentor texts used in their grade level class during the Vision sessions.
When: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm on Aug. 13, Sept. 17, Oct. 15, Dec. 3, and Jan, 21
Where: Discovery High School
Teachers should register in the PD&E tool by May 30, 2016. New hires may register once they have obtained an employee identification number.
Online Registration for 2016-2017 School Year
Kindergarten Registration will open up to rising Kindergartners on April 4th. Registration will be completed through the Online Registration (OLR) link. There is an accompanying training video to assist parents through the registration process.
April 4: OLR opens for 2016-17 school year registration (Grades K and 6-12)
May 26-July 5: OLR will shut down districtwide. No access for any parent or school staff.
News From Other Schools/Departments
- Hull MS will be honoring their retirees on May 5th at 8:00 am. Their retirees include Lynda Ashby, Achim Horton, Susan IIrvine and Sandra Peters.
- You are invited to attend a retirement celebration for Evelyn Chu, Sheila Taylor and Robert Robau on May 16th at 3:30 pm at Meadowcreek ES.
- You are invited to attend a retirement celebration for Carol Smith, Donna Cohen, Denice Gilbert, Phyllis Hallman, Emily Chapman and Karen Hill on Wednesday, May 18th, at 2;30 at South Gwinnett HS.
- You are invited to a retirement celebration for Pamela Buckland and Kathy O'Rear on Tuesday, May 24th at 7:45 a.m.
- Lanier MS will be having a retirement reception for Nancy Caudell on May 16th at 4:30 p.m
- You are invited to a retirement celebration at Hopkins ES for Ena Haynes, Vera Johnson, Kathy Malone, Pat Morris, Nanine Placek and Bernice Smith on Tuesday, May 10th at 3:15 pm.
Mobile Device End of Year Process
- Photos & Videos - please DELETE all photos and videos from your devices. This can be done more quickly by plugging it in to your laptop and accessing it through Windows Explorer
- Power Off your device
- Verify the correct device is in the correct case
- Locate all chargers/cables
We will turn in mobile devices during planning on Wednesday, May 25th. Please see the EOY Checklist for more details.
Dates That Lunch Monitors Are Not Available and Teachers Will Need to Eat in Cafe With Their Class
May 12th, 23rd, 24th & 25th
Classroom Spirit Award
Leaders in Learning
A Chrome file has been shared with each teacher, please go in to list your Leader in Learning each month when Montine sends out the notification email.