Reducing Fat, Sodium, and Sugar
By: Kyle Tam
Cutting Down on Fat
Here are 5 tips on how to cut down on fat!
- Select poultry, fish, dried beans, peas, and lean meats for proteins.
- Substitute plain low fat yogurt, whipped cottage cheese, or buttermilk for sour cream or mayonnaise.
- Use low fat and skim milk products instead of whole milk.
- Read labels to determine the amount and types of fat in foods.
- Roast, boil, bake, or broil rather than fry.
Limiting Sodium in your Diet
Here's 5 tips on how to cut down on sodium!
- Substitute herbs and spices for salt when preparing food.
- Taste your food before adding additional salt.
- Use lemon just or balsamic vinegar instead of salt on vegetables or fish.
- Eat fewer salty snack items such as pretzels and chips.
- Read labels and compare foods at the supermarket and buy those without added salt.
Reducing Sugar in your Daily Consumption
Here's 5 tips on how to cut down on Sugar!
- Serve fresh fruits and vegetables as snacks rather than candy and cookies.
- Drink fruit juice or unsweetened tea instead of soft drinks.
- Add fruit to unflavored yogurt rather than buying flavored yogurt.
- Use spices for flavor instead of sugar.
- Read labels to determine sugar content.