EMIS Good Things
December, 2015 Edition
In this Issue:
2). Lessons learned by teaching 1:1
3). Communication and Collaboration ideas
4). Professional Development Sign up
5). Educanon New Features
6). Study Island Group Sessions
7). Seven ways to use Technology with a purpose
8). Social Happenings at EMIS
9). Holiday Resources
10). A Resource to Come- Be excited!!
Checking Grades before Progress Reports
Communication and Collaboration
- Students work in teams to prepare their own study material Infographics to share with other class members or other teachers' classes (Try Piktochart)
- Pair classes in common content areas to create and play virtual games against each other using Jeopardy Labs, Quizizz or Socrative.
- Have students create a collaborative study guide using Google Docs to collaborate virtually with another teacher's class.
- Use student-led small groups to review key concepts in station-style rotations. Consider using Today's Meet for a backchannel or use Real Time Board for interactive whiteboards.
- Have students create newsletters to share with parents about what they've learned - practicing their synthesizing skills and using images to support (cited properly of course!). Try Smore. Or even have students create a video to show off their skills!
- Set up a Mystery Skype (Amy Smith and Becky Snyder have almost "perfected" this- so we have some resident experts) or Google Hangout with another classroom in the district or an outside expert in your content area. Let students develop questions to ask related to their studies, or teach a lower level grade about topics they are "experts" in. Click here for more information on Connecting Outside the Classroom.
With our age group, we just need to remember to set the ground rules of collaboration and using these tools before starting. Make sure students know that these tools are to be used in school for educational purposes- not as chat rooms outside of school. Also, remind students that all communication needs to be school appropriate!
Professional Development Opportunities
Educanon~ Additional features on the way!
Study Island Group Session
Happy "December" Birthday!
December 7: Crystal Fansler
December 22: Shawna Gallmon
December 23: Tracy Pope
December 29: Cheryl Fellores
Other December Happenings...
December 7: 4th Grade Math Training
December 8: 5th Grade Math Training &Digital Conversion Visit
December 9: Early Release
December 10: Progress Reports, Cookie Dough Pick up, & Silver and Gold Dance
December 11: Staff Luncheon 11:30-12:30
December 14-18: Secret Santa Begins
December 17: 6:30pm Winter Concert
December 18: PTO Sales reward day