3rd Grade Weekly Update
Writing- I can compose an expository composition.
Math-I can identify the difference between multiplication and division word problems. I can use strategies to solve multi-step word problems in multiplication and division.
Science-I can identify the importance of conservation of our natural resources. I can come up with ways to reduce, reuse, and recycle.
Social Studies- I can identify traits of an everyday hero.
Reading- Read each day for at least 20 minutes. We are studying nonfiction right now, so reading any type of nonfiction text would be great!
Vocabulary Unit 7 Quiz on Thursday
We are starting a new program called Lexia Core 5. Students can log in through Clever and practice at home. The activities are specially curated for each student in order to address his or her personal needs, and students need to spend at least 40 minutes a week on the program between school and home.
Writing- Spelling Quiz on Friday!
Math-Practice Multiplication Facts 3x a week for 10 minutes!
Math Quiz Friday, January 22nd.
We will review all week to be prepared for our quiz.
Science- Unit 8 Formation of Soil and Natural Resources Assessment will be on January 27th. Study guide to begin reviewing concepts:
Social Studies- None
MULTIPLICATION PRACTICE AT HOME: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!
Have your child set a schedule to practice 2-3 times a week for 10 minutes a day for mastery.
They can also focus on a few facts a month to break the goal into chunks. Here is an example schedule:
December: 0, 1, 2, and 3
January: 5 and 10
February: 4 and 6
March: 7 and 8
May: All Facts Fluently
Below are some ways to practice at home:
- Your child can sign on to xtramath.org at home and practice.
- Old-fashioned flash cards (send your child's teacher an email if you need some)
- Create chants and rhymes to help memorize (example-https://www.lewispalmer.org/cms/lib/CO01900635/Centricity/Domain/874/MultiplicationRhymes.docx.pdf)
- Play Multiplication War at-home (directions-https://www.multiplication.com/our-blog/jen-wieber/multiplication-war-card-game-0)
- Listen to Multiplication Songs (example-https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWphMREEQDrjzT4i4YKwkG93UUsM_X3Hp
- Download Multiplication Fact Apps on I-Pads or Computers and play https://imaginationsoup.net/best-multiplication-apps-kids/
Here is a website that has songs, apps, and hands-on tools for at-home practice as well: