Memorial School LIbrary
The library program has some exciting opportunities in store for your child!
- Our major goal is to instill a passion for reading and learning.
- We will be promoting the very best of children’s literature with lessons and activities designed to help students enjoy stories even more.
- We will be doing our very best to get (or keep) every child “hooked on reading” by recommending specific titles to each student.
- We will be adding almost 200 of the latest and most exciting new titles for our young readers, including quality non-fiction to help meet Common Core requirements.
- Students will learn beginning computer skills.
- We will be working with the Technology Integration Specialist to help infuse technology skills into the curriculum.
- Library lessons will include teaching digital citizenship: students will learn how to use technology safely and responsibly.
- For more information on digital citizenship: http://www.commonsensemedia.org/advice-for-parents/digital-citizenship
- Information Literacy is the set of skills needed to find, retrieve, analyze and use information.
- Information Literacy is embedded in the library curriculum.
- Student questions and curiosity always welcomed and encouraged!
- Grade 1 students will work on their first research project using the Big6 which is a six-stage model to help anyone solve problems or make decisions by using information.
Special Events - here are a few already planned!
- Participating in International Dot Day - September 15ish
- Participating in the Global Read Aloud - September 30-November 8
- Read Across America (Dr. Seuss) Celebration in March
- Award winning author/illustrator Grace Lin will be visiting us in the spring.
- Poetry Month Celebration in April
- Even more!
Just for Parents!
Look here for books about starting school:
This board is all about parenting, media, reading and more! http://pinterest.com/rgroden/for-memorial-parents/
Please note: I will be adding to these boards all year long.
* If you are new to Pinterest, the images act as links. Just click on an image to be taken to a website with more information.
If you would like to volunteer to help in the library, please let us know.
The Library/Technology Team is very excited about the 2013-14 school year and is committed to making the library your child’s favorite place at Memorial School!
If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact:
Randie Groden, Teacher Librarian