Vinton Public Library Newsletter
October 9th through October 14th, 2023
Monday, October 9th
- Open 9am-5pm
- 10am: Adult Coloring Time, materials provided
- 10am: Yoga (class is filled)
- 10am: Ready, Set, Build with Legos for Kids
- 3:30pm: Ready, Set, Build with Legos for Kids
Tuesday, October 10th
- Open 9am-6pm
- 11am: Preschool Storytime
- 1:30pm: Lutheran Home Read-aloud Book Club for adults, held offsite
Thursday, October 12th
- Open 9am-6pm
- 10am: Tummy Time. Ages Birth to 18 months.
- 10am: Tai Chi for Adults
Friday, October 13th
- Open 9am-4pm
- 9am-Noon: Free Coffee Fridays for Adults
- 10am: Blocks & Ramps for Kids
- Noon: Guided Journaling for Adults
- 1:30pm: VPL Robotics Club for HS Students
- 2pm: DIY Beaded Pumpkins for Kids
New Books Added to Our Collection
- "Reign" by Katharine McGee
- "The Haunting" by Natasha Preston
- "Delicious Monsters" by Liselle Sambury
- "The Only Girl in Town" by Ally Condie
- "Suddenly a Murder" by Lauren Muanoz
An Open Book: A Library Blog by Kelly Henkle, Library Director
Upcoming Events at VPL
DIY Beaded Pumpkin Craft for Kids
It's an early out - why not join us for some DIY fun?! This week we'll be making DIY beaded pumpkins, just in time for Fall! This event is for kids; materials are provided.
Friday, Oct 13, 2023, 02:00 PM
Community Book Club: "Finlay Donovan is Killing It" by Elle Cosimano
Our Community Book Club meets once a month on a Saturday morning to discuss a different book each month. Patrons that enjoy this book club say they like reading books they might not have otherwise chosen. Each time we meet, our Library Director Kelly announces the book that we'll read next, and hands out copies. This book club is for adults; we'd love to have you join us!
Saturday, Oct 14, 2023, 09:15 AM
Adventures in Bookclubbing: Authors with an Iowa Connection
In Adventures in Bookclubbing we meet once a month on a Thursday at Noon; we pick a different topic each month, and you get to choose your own book that relates to the topic! This book club is for adults. We'd love to have you join us!
Thursday, Oct 19, 2023, 12:00 PM
Salem Witch Trials Informational Presentation with Kelly Steffen
Join us for a special 'VPL After Hours' event, as Kelly Steffen shares her personal research on the Salem Witch Trials. You won't want to miss! To celebrate National Friends of the Library Week, our library's newly formed Friends chapter will be serving refreshments at this event. There is no charge, and the event is for patrons of all ages.
Thursday, Oct 19, 2023, 06:00 PM
VPL Services Spotlight: Beanstack Reading Challenges
- 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten: For our youngest readers, from birth up until Kindergarten. At each 100 Book milestone, you get your picture displayed in our Children's Library, along with lots of cool prizes!
- 60 Books Before High School: For students in 6th-8th grade; complete the challenge and receive special recognition at school at the end of 8th grade!
- 100 Books Before Graduation: For students in 9th-12th grade; complete the challenge and receive special recognition at VS Senior Award Night!
- Fall Into Reading: For all readers in Kindergarten through Adult
- Oscar Worthy Reads: For readers 21 and over. Read 6 books from a curated list of titles that were adapted into Oscar Winning Films. Complete the challenge and you'll receive a personalized trophy at our March Oscar Red-Carpet Viewing Party!
Additional details of each challenge can be found in the Beanstack app, or by contacting us here at the library. Happy Reading!
Series Spotlight: "Hawthorne and Horowitz" by Anthony Horowitz
"In between writing novels and screenplays, a fictionalized-version of author Anthony Horowitz acts as sidekick and chronicler to ex-cop turned private investigator Daniel Hawthorne." Source: www.goodreads.com/series/238438-hawthorne-horowitz
VPL has the first four books in this exciting series in regular type, with the 5th book scheduled to be released at a later date. Check it out if you love a good murder mystery!
Recent Social Media Posts
Additional Resources available
- Black and white copies, $0.20/side
- Color copies, $0.25/side
- Faxing services: 1-2 pages for $1.00, 3+ pages for $2.00
- Free Wi-Fi