Erica & Garrett
Why do we need to save energy?
Energy conservation is a must!
Fossil fuels are going to run out sooner or later if we don't do something about it and some alternative energies won’t work everywhere.
The good thing about energy conversation is that it is free. It also doesn't have any bad effects on the environment.
How can you save energy?
Your day to day life
- Take a shorter shower - it takes energy to heat up water and by taking a shorter shower you aren't using as much of the hot water
- Don’t leave the refrigerator or oven door open - it takes energy to heat them or cool them and by leaving the appliances open, that energy is going to waste
- Make sure your washer and dryer are full - you don't want to have to put in more loads than you need to because powering them takes electricity and energy
- Dim lights on electronics - it will save the battery life and then you won't need to charge it as much
- Unplug chargers that aren't being used - even though you are not collecting energy from them, they are still trying to get electricity to you and using energy
As a consumer
- Bring reusable bags to the grocery store - it takes lots of energy to make plastic bags so not using them will help
- Buy cars that get more miles to the gallon - you will use less gas which will save the amount of energy used in the process of making gas
- Buy from garage sales - if you don't buy new clothes from stores, they won't need to make as many products and will conserve more resources and energy
- Recycle - this is an easy way to save energy because you are using less resources by reusing and buy recycled things
- Buy reusable water bottles - this will save plastic and the energy it takes to make the plastic
In your home
- Seal edges of unused doors and windows with rope caulk - if your house is better sealed, your heater or air conditioner won't need to work as hard and will use less energy
- Buy light bulbs that use less energy - this will help reduce the amount of energy you use, especially if you put them throughout your whole house
- Fix leaky faucets, especially if it’s a hot water faucet - water needs to get pumped to your home by using energy so the less you need to use the better
- Install timers to alert you in appliances get left on - if they are running, they are using electricity
- Install a programmable thermostat - A programmable thermostat saves money by allowing heating and cooling appliances to be automatically turned down during times that no one is home and at night
- "10 Easy Ways to Save Money & Energy in Your Home." - InterNACHI. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Apr. 2015.
- "Alternative Energy." - Wind, Solar, Hydro and Other Alt Energy Sources for Home Power. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Apr. 2015.
- "365 Ways to Save Energy." 365 Ways to Save Energy. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Apr. 2015.