Mrs. Mayson's Kindergarten News
Apples and Fall
This week we will read stories about apples and Autumn. We will continue to identify the genre of each book we read together. We will name characters, setting, and plot of each fiction or realistic fiction story.
- Autumn Leaves by Ken Robbins
- Apples by Gail Gibbons
- Ten Apples Up On Top! by Dr. Seuss
- The Leaves on the Trees by Thom Wiley
- Stanley, Flat Again by Jeff Brown
- We are working on phonemic awareness skills (alliteration, rhyming, and breaking apart words orally and hearing each part of the whole word).
- We will recognize digraphs, 'sh, ch, th' at the beginning, middle, or end of a word.
- We will practice naming letters and sounds quickly. Automatically being able to recall a letter or a sound is an important building block to being a successful reader. Please review the chart at home. Challenge your child to name letters in one minute. Then ask your child to name the letter sounds.
- Sight words- We will add "here, this, we" to the word wall. Students should put these words on index cards and become familiar with them. They will use "Word Wall' words in their journals and recognize these high frequency words in text.
- We will use sight words, invented spelling, and spaces in our writing.
- We will use ending marks.
- We will write about Fall.
- We will listen to the story, Titch by Pat Hutchins and write about people in our family.
- Handwriting: We will practice writing numbers and capital letters.
- Numeral Formation
- 2D Shapes- We will count sides and corners.
- Counting from 1-100 by ones, fives, and tens
- Patterns- AB and ABB
- Days of the Week and Months of the Year
Dates and Reminders
- Don't forget to turn in a white t-shirt for your child to paint and wear on stage.
- 'Yellow Day' is September 30th.
- We will have a special apple-themed snack on September 30th.
- October 4th, Spirit Items go on sale (on campus).
- October 7th is the Homecoming Parade at 2:00 (parents are invited).
- October 10th is a school holiday.
- October 11th we will have a fireman teach us about fire safety.
- October 12th is our field trip to Seward Farms.
- Picture day is October 20th (students are in uniform).
We loved hearing about Flat Stanley going to visit friends in Tennessee!
Teddy Bear Day
We measured, compared, weighed, and played with our bears all day!