May 7, 2021
CB SAVE THE MUSIC CONCERT
The CB Save the Music Concert is usually a weekend full of performances by CB Music Faculty and friends that has raised over $250,000 for the Save the Music Foundation since its inception in 2004. Though the annual concert could not be held normally this winter, the concert organizers have set a goal to raise $10,000 to support the Save the Music Foundation this year. There are several ways you can help them achieve this goal:
- Purchase a t-shirt with this year’s logo – Orders on www.mypaymentsplus.com are due by Thursday, May 13th.
- Make a donation while enjoying an on-demand virtual concert presentation later this Spring. The live recording portion of this production was filmed this past Friday at Tamanend, and would not have been possible without the assistance of current and former Tamanend Lights and Sound Crew members!
- Become a business sponsor and get your logo on the t-shirt, featured in the virtual concert, and on social media. Sponsorships are due May 14th.
- Once again, Café with Soul in Doylestown is the Presenting Sponsor of the concert. One of the ways they are supporting the cause will be through a donation of a percentage of their profits to the Save the Music fundraising effort – stay tuned for more details and dates!
If you have any questions about the CB Save the Music Concert, please reach out to Mr. Sanchez. Thanks for your support!
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
Teacher Appreciation Week--Monday, May 3 to Friday, May 7
National School Nurse Day--Wednesday, May 12
Virtual Learning Day (Primary Elections)--Tuesday, May 18 (students learn virtually today and do not have in-person classes)
Move-Up Day at CB South for Current 9th Graders--Thursday, May 27 @ 9:00 AM (details below)
Keystone Exams (for Students Taking Algebra*)--Tuesday, June 1
*Please see details below regarding students who are eligible to take the Keystones this year.
- Please be sure all student-athletes and families are following protocols outlined in the health and safety plan. For information on how the recently passed modified quarantine impacts student-athletes, please refer to the letter that was sent via email to parents/guardians of all current athletes on Thursday, April 15th.
- The daily screening for Spring sports can be found HERE. Student-athletes must complete this survey each day they have a tryout, practice, or game.
- As Tamanend’s Spring sports teams begin their seasons with games next week, students are reminded that attending games as spectators is not permitted this year. The only spectators allowed at games are players’ family members. Thank you for your cooperation with this, and we look forward to hopefully having spectators at games next year.
- REMINDER: Please keep in mind that students must go home at the end of the school day. It is the responsibility of the student-athlete and parent/guardian to coordinate transportation back to school on days of practices/games, as well as for away games.
- WANTED: Nominations for CB Cares Positive Coaching Award! Since being established in 2012, the Positive Coaching Award has recognized a deserving coach who serves as a positive role model, understands the importance of a child’s well-being, and is a positive influence in the lives of young people. Specifically, the annual recipient will be recognized for teaching positive life lessons through sports, providing leadership, and promoting sportsmanship, fair play, motivation, and respect. All of these behaviors and values are consistent with the Developmental Assets®, the framework of all CB Cares Educational Foundation’s programs. The award comes with a $500 gift and a beautifully engraved plaque, which are presented to the recipient at a community ceremony in late spring. Thank you to Shelly Law Offices for their support of this special program. bit.ly/CBCaresPCA
CBSD is seeking two (2) head coaches for field hockey at CB East and CB West:
- Girls 7th Grade Softball vs. Lenape (Home; 3:15)
- Girls 8th Grade Softball @ Tohickon 8 (Away; 3:15)
- Boys 7th Grade Baseball @ Lenape (Away; 3:15)
- Boys 8th Grade Baseball vs. Lenape (Home; 3:15)
- Boys/Girls Junior Varsity Track @ Tohickon (Away; 3:15)
- Girls 7th Grade Soccer @ Lenape (Home; 3:15)
- Girls 8th Grade Soccer vs. Lenape (Home; 3:15)
- Girls Lacrosse @ Lenape (Away; 3:15)
- Boys Lacrosse vs. Lenape (Home; 3:15)
- Girls 7th Grade Softball @ Tohickon 8 (Away; 3:15)
- Girls 8th Grade Softball vs. Holicong (Home; 3:15)
- Boys 7th Grade baseball @ Holicong (Away; 3:15)
- Boys 8th Grade baseball vs. Holicong (Home; 3:15)
- Boys/Girls Varsity Track @ Tohickon (Away; 3:15)
- Girls 7th Grade Soccer @ Holicong (Away; 3:15)
- Girls 8th Grade soccer vs. Holicong (Home; 3:15)
- Girls Lacrosse @ Holicong (Away; 3:15)
- Boys 7th Grade Baseball vs. Unami (Home; 3:15)
- Boys 8th Grade Baseball @ Unami (Away; 3:15)
- Boys Lacrosse vs. Holicong (Home; 3:15)
- No Contests
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
Reminder--Move-Up Day at CB South for Current 9th Grade Students
On Thursday, May 27th, our 9th Grade students will be taking a trip to CB South High School. We will be using CBSD buses to travel to South from 2nd period to 4th period. The time spent there will be in the Auditorium and the Gym, where students will be provided with important information about their 10th Grade year. Forms surveys have been sent to Online Only students in order to determine which online students would like to attend in person and which method of transportation they would like to use (i.e. CBSD buses or parent/guardian drop-off & pick-up). If you have any questions, or are Online Only and have not received a survey, please reach out to Mr. Dudley at email@example.com.
Tamanend Community Celebrates Teacher Appreciation Week
Thank you to the Tamanend community for helping make Teacher Appreciation week so special for our faculty and staff members! Due to parents' generosity, we had a luncheon that everyone enjoyed on Tuesday, May 4 catered by Panera. In addition, each day this week, we randomly choose approximately 20 staff members to select a teacher appreciation gift donated by parents/guardians. Finally, students and parents have been sharing notes, emails, and short appreciation videos with teachers and staff. A special thank you to Andrea Krol for organizing the Sign Up Genius and the gift collection. Thank you to Donna Kirkpatrick, Andrea Consoletti, and Gina Villa for helping with set ups and logistics.
Earlier this school year, the Pennsylvania State Legislature passed Senate Bill 1216, making several revisions for previous legislation regarding state assessments and graduation requirements. This message serves to inform our families of these legislative revisions and to provide clarity around the implications for your children. Please watch the informational video, Keystone Exam and Graduation Requirements: Update to Middle School Families if you have not already done so.
Students Enrolled in Algebra in 2019-2020
Any student who was enrolled in Algebra 1 or Algebra 1B and was scheduled to take the Algebra Keystone Exam in Spring of 2020, is considered the Spring 2020 cohort. Students in the Spring 2020 cohort are not required to “make-up” the exam. According to the legislation and guidance from the PA Department of Education, these students have been deemed “proficient” if they passed the course last Spring. Central Bucks will not be rostering any students in the Spring 2020 cohort to take the Algebra Keystone Exam this school year. However, any parent wishing for their child to take the exam may do so by completing this form by May 7th. The Pennsylvania Department of Education requires students who take the Algebra 1 Keystone to complete the assessment in the building.
Students Enrolled in Algebra in 2020-2021
All students who are taking Algebra 1 or Algebra 1B this school year are required to take the Algebra Keystone exam this Spring. However, parents of children enrolled in a Keystone exam course during the 2020-2021 school year may choose to opt-out of the exam. If a family chooses to opt-out of the exam, they must notify the school in writing of their desire to do so following the process outlined on the CBSD Assessment Webpage by May 7th. The Pennsylvania Department of Education requires students who take the Algebra 1 Keystone to complete the assessment in the building. The Keystone Exam at Tamanend will be administered on June 1, 2021.
Reminder--Tamanend Spirit Gear is Here!
Looking for some Tamanend gear? Here are the current opportunities to order Tamanend Spirit Wear:
Tamanend Spirit Wear from Caldwells in Doylestown
Reminder--Join the Wellness/Snack Break Social 10:35--10:55 Daily
Hello! Are you looking for a way to connect with other kids from school while you are learning from home in the virtual setting? Mrs. Cammann is hosting a Wellness/Snack Break Social time each day from 10:35-10:55 during the virtual and hybrid learning models. Students are invited to join in to share some conversation and be connected with students across all grades. On Wednesdays, we will have games and trivia during this time! You are welcome to participate daily or pop in occasionally - no pressure. Maybe you will even get to know some new faces! Just click the link below to take part, socialize, and participate, while using our Tamanend ROAR to respect and include each other in this group. Enjoy your snack and unwind with us at 10:35 any day. Hope to see you there! Click here to join the meeting
Are you interested in global issues and news? Do you want to get involved in helping people in your community and around the globe? Join the Tamanend UNICEF Unite Club. This club was started this year and the purpose of this club is serve as a space to discuss global issues, engage students, help students use their voice to enforce positive change, make better thinkers and communicators, and much more. Students will have the opportunity to learn about child protection, education, water, sanitation and hygiene which may align with certain areas of study, allowing for a more insightful, understanding life outside of the classroom. The club will also provide students with an opportunity to gain leadership positions on campus. Through fundraising, awareness, and community service, we will be able to help the millions of children who need our help. Please fill out this interest form https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=j0gLqp78hUGl4zhCIN8jyiSa13bnl15Kgt4n4oFy81FURjJUTThYNlM2M0xTN0pWNFU5MzNWUE9OQy4u if you are interested in the club. Meetings will be once every two weeks virtually A date for our first meeting will be sent out to those interested soon! If you have any questions feel free to contact Kalidindi.H055@student.cbsd.org , EORINSKI@cbsd.org , or AHIGGINS@cbsd.org.
Reminder--Mock Trial Team for 9th Graders
Do you want to improve your speaking and analysis skills? Do you like exploring legal issues of everyday events? Or, just want to spend some time hanging out with Mr. Sterner and Mr. Heisey? We are pleased to offer the Mock Trial Club at Tamamend for any interested 9th graders. It’s a great way to learn about the legal profession and debate your way through an actual case as either a lawyer or a witness, as well as build your skills for future participation and competition at CB South. Please e-mail Mr. Heisey (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mr. Sterner (email@example.com) if you are interested. Thank you!
Reminder--Tamanend Today Club
While we can’t currently run Tamanend Today, our live weekly TV show, we are still seeking interested students who enjoy broadcast media and video production. We have some ideas for production until we can go live again, and we would like your ideas for when we can go live. Until then, join us and be a part of producing meaningful, pre-recorded broadcasts and features. If media production is your thing, please reach out via e-mail to Mr. Sterner (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mr. Landis (email@example.com) to be part of our Tamanend Today Club! Thank you!
FROM OUR MUSIC DEPARTMENT
Reminder--Sign Up for CB South's Marching Titans (Open to Current 8th and 9th Graders)
The Central Bucks South Marching Titans will begin that 2021 season in just a few short weeks. All current 8th-11th graders interested in joining the original CBSMT should come to the first Spring Training practice on May 11th at 6pm in the CB South Music Wing to learn more about the Marching Titans. Time to join the family!
QUOTES AROUND TAMANEND
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Please report your child's absence in any of the following ways:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone (Attendance hotline): 267-893-2920
Reminder--Important Traffic Safety
Since the beginning or the year, our parent drop-off and pick-up traffic has improved tremendously, but we still need your help. There will soon be an increase in daily traffic as more students return to in-person learning. We must remember that WE HAVE STUDENTS WHO WALK TO SCHOOL. Recently, we've seen an increase in cars speeding on Stuckert Road. For the safety of our students, please maintain a 15 mph school zone speed limit in our parking lots and along Stuckert Road. Thanks for your help!
Reminder--Parent Drop-Off and Pick-Up
With the return of 5-day in-person schooling, there has been an increase in the number of car riders. Please remember the following important details when dropping off or picking up your child-
- You can only turn right into the parking lot, from the direction of Kelly Road. Do NOT attempt to make a left-hand turn into the parking lot during pick-up at the end of the day. If you come from Bristol Rd., please go past the school, turn around, and get in the car line.
- There are staggered dismissal times. The first is at 1:16 and the 2nd is at 1:21pm. It would be helpful to find out what time your child is dismissed from their 7th period class, so that you do not rush to get in line if they are let out at the 2nd dismissal time.
- Everyone has been able to exit the parking lot by 1:30 pm, so there is no need to rush. All students are let out between the Main Entrance and the Gym/Cafeteria Entrance, so students should not be walking down the sidewalk to your cars. This causes the line of traffic to stop and we need to keep everyone moving.
Thank you for your support!
FROM OUR GUIDANCE OFFICE
Reminder--Teen Mental Health Check In Group
This Edition of Guidance Sparks--Be the Captain of Your Child's Spark Team
We know that the last 12 months have been difficult for many people in many, many ways. For our students, the struggle has included a disruption in their educational and social way-of-life. Learning from the restrictions the pandemic has placed on your children may be an opportunity to re-exam what is important to them for now and the future. Ask your daughter or son to think about what was missed during this time of limited access? What didn’t he/she/they miss? The answers might give insight to what Sparks are important to them.
If your teen missed working at a part-time job at the local restaurant because of the responsibilities opportunity to learn about how to run a business, this might be worth exploring in a more serious way. If your teen didn’t miss taking piano lessons because it was just something to add to a college resume, maybe it is time to start looking at other activities where there is true interest.
Looking at the whole concept of Sparks, this might be the right time to reevaluate where time is spent and what interest holds true passion. “One joy scatters a hundred griefs.” – Chinese Proverb
For comments or questions, please contact Ginny Barrett at email@example.com
FROM OUR LIBRARY
Reminder--Tamanend Library is Here for All Your Reading Needs!
All students have full access to all books in the Tamanend Library and to SORA, our digital collection. If you would like to check out a book, please watch the following videos in your Library Canvas Course to see how to access both physical and digital books. Books will be delivered to classrooms for Hybrid students and Online students can pick their books up in the front lobby of Tamanend!
FROM OUR INNOVATION AND TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT
Reminder--9th-12th Grade Student Technology Toolkit
FROM OUR HEALTH OFFICE
Reminder--Required Dental Exams for 7th Graders
Reminder--Please Contact Our Nurse For COVID-Related Issues and Concerns
Please notify our Certified School Nurse, Lauren Myrtetus, if you, someone in your household or your student have been diagnosed with COVID or if your student has been identified as a close contact of someone who has been diagnosed with COVID. Also, please notify Mrs. Myrtetus if your student is ill and is being tested for COVID.
If your students needs to quarantine, he or she should report directly to the nurse’s office on his or her first day back to school for a temperature and symptom screening.
Mrs. Myrtetus is happy to answer any questions related to COVID.
CBSD’s Board of School Directors approved changes to the district’s health and safety plan, including implementation of modified quarantine protocols beginning on Monday, April 19, 2021. More details may be found on our website at www.cbsd.org/2020-21. Review updated questions and answers at www.cbsd.org/help.
Updated--What to Do If Your Child Is Sick
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
Reminder--Breakfast and Lunch is Available to ALL Students Free of Charge Through the Remainder of the 2020-2021 School Year
Reminder--Free & Reduced Lunch/Breakfast Application
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, field trips, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal email@example.com
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Reminder--Bucks County Health Human Services Hub
Reminder--Shriner's Children's Pediatric Fracture and Sports Injury Care at Doylestown Hospital
Reminder--Food Pantry at Warrington Fellowship Church
Reminder--Grandfamilies Support Group
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
TMS Parent Council
Thursday, May 20th, 9am
This is an online event.
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: email@example.com
Oficina: (267) 893-2900