MCSD Board Briefs
September 9, 2019 Regular Board Meeting
Board Briefs for Monday, September 9, 2019 Regular Board Meeting
The Board of Education of the Muscatine Community School District, met in regular session on Monday, September 9, 2019, at 7 p.m. at City Hall. President Tammi Drawbaugh called the meeting to order. Directors John Dabeet, Aaron Finn, Nathan Mather, Toby McCarter, Randy Naber, and Mary Wildermuth were present. Also present were Superintendent Jerry Riibe and Director of Finance Tom Anderson.
- The Board recited the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Visitors and media representatives were welcomed.
- Citizens Speak:
- Gabby Dennis, 2002 Logan Street, spoke in regards to naming the combined junior high after Susan Clark.
- Paul Thielmann, 1500 Oak Street, read a letter written by Dr. Paul Finkelman, as he could not be present at the meeting. Mr. Thielmann, along with Dr. Finkelman, spoke on behalf of naming the combined junior high after Susan Clark.
- Annette Hovland, 1914 Mulberry Avenue, spoke in support of naming the combined junior high school after Susan Clark.
- Board Targets/Goals Report:
- Elementary principals provided an update on the start of school especially noting Muskie Family Night, technology upgrades, 5th-6th grade essentials, blending and creating new traditions, professional learning, Muskie Home Visits, and finally, an update and invite to the Muskie Early Learning Center’s Community Open House.
- MHS Student Council Representatives Marcos Bautista and C.J. Palmer provided information on student council activities.
- The consent agenda was approved as follows:
- The minutes of August 12, 2019, Regular Session.
- Employment Recommendations:
- New Hires - Certified Staff: Kim Tooman, ESL, Grant and Madison; Matthew Bettis, Strat II SPED, Grant.
- Resignations - Certified Staff: Sandrine Gabriel, Strat II, Grant.
- New Hires - Schedule C: Scott Roberts, Girls’ Head Cross Country, MHS, and Girls’ Head Track, MHS; Susan Wheeler, MS Volleyball, CMS; Ann Edkin, MS Volleyball, CMS; Elizabeth Panther, MS Curriculum Leader-ELA, WMS; Alison Anson, MS Curriculum Leader-Math, WMS; Anna Miller, MS Cross Country (one year only, replaces Marcy Duffe on leave of absence); Rebecca Stogdill, MS Mock Trial, WMS.
- Resignations - Schedule C: Brian Mathis, MS Basketball, WMS; Brandon Welsch, Girls Golf, MHS; Michaela Hogan, Model UN, MHS.
- Bills and Claims against the district dated September 9, 2019.
- Student Teaching Agreement with the University of Iowa.
- Denied Jacinda Voss’ request to be released from her teaching contract post-May 20, 2019.
- Approved the Mentoring and Induction Consortium Agreement between Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency and Muscatine Community School District for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Jeff Sandberg from Legat Architects presented information on the MHS Storm Shelter Project.
- Approved setting the public hearing on the proposed plans, specifications, proposed form of contract, and the estimated cost of said improvement for the MHS Storm Shelter Project for Monday, October 14, 2019, at 7 p.m. at City Hall.
- Approved inviting the following firms: Grundmeyer Leader Search, McPherson & Jacobson LLC, and Ray and Associations Inc. to present to the board prior to the October 14, 2019, Regular Board Meeting.
- Appointed President Drawbaugh as the IASB Delegate for the board.
- Approved naming the combined middle school Susan Clark Junior High School.
- Discussed the Early Retirement Option for FY 2020.
- Announced the upcoming meetings and events:
- September 9-14, 2019: Muskie Homecoming Week
- September 11, 2019: 2-hour Early Dismissal for Teacher Professional Development
- September 16, 17, 18, 2019: Curriculum Audit
- September 16, 2019: Parent/Community Interview Night at the Administration Center at 3:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. (for the curriculum audit)I
- September 17, 2019: Staff Interview Night at the Administration Center at 3:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. (for the curriculum audit)
- September 19, 2019: Board Candidate Filing Deadline, 5 p.m.
- September 19, 2019: Muskie Early Learning Center Community Open House; 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
- September 24, 2019: League of Women Voter’s Board Candidate Night, 7 p.m., City Hall
- October 9, 2019: 2-hour Early Dismissal for Teacher Professional Development
- October 14, 2019: Board Regular Meeting, 7 p.m, City Hall
- October 28, 2019: Board Work Session, 6 p.m., Administration Center Muskie Room
- The meeting adjourned at 8:47 p.m.
Select the link to view the board agenda and its supporting documents for the 9/9/19 regular board meeting.
Select the link to view the unofficial minutes of the 9/9/19 regular board meeting.
It is the policy of the Muscatine Community School District not to discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, social economic status, national origin, religion, age, veteran status or disability in its educational programs, activities, or employment practices.
There is a grievance procedure for processing complaints of discrimination. If you have questions or a grievance related to this policy, please contact the district’s equity coordinator. If you believe you have been discriminated against or treated unjustly, please contact Equity Director(s) Mike Morgan, 2705 Cedar St, 263-6141, or the Director of Human Resources, 2900 Mulberry Ave, 263-7223, Civil Rights Compliance Officer Edwin Colon,403 E 9th Street, 263-8800, Affirmative Action Coordinator Director of Human Resources, 2900 Mulberry Ave, 263-7223, or the 504 Coordinator Mike McGrory, 2900 Mulberry, 263-7223. They will discuss the situation with you and if you wish help you file a grievance.