The Rigsby Reader 4.13.15
Updates from Room 311
- Dry Erase Markers (where are they going!?)
Dates to Remember:
- April 13th: Classroom Pictures & Individual Make Up ,Drop off Medication for Raleigh Trip in Mrs. Locke's room 3p-6p, Raleigh Chaperone Meeting 6pm-7pm
- April 14th: Spirit Night @ Wildwings between 4 and 8 pm. Claxton Morning Music Groups will perform at 6 pm. Turn in your receipt at the restaurant and 10 % will be donated to our school.
- April 15th: Asheville Middle School Strings Assembly
- April 16th: Arrive at 6:30-6:45 for Raleigh Trip! *MORE INFO BELOW*
- April 16th: ACS will be hosting a strategic planning input session for parents, staff, students and community members on Thursday, April 16, from 6 pm until 7 pm. This is an opportunity for your voice to be heard and provide your input on the school district's new three year plan. It is so important that you attend this session.
- April 17th: 6:30 Pm Arrive Back at School from Raleigh
- April 24th-26: Claxton School Play!
Mandatory Chaperone Meeting- April 13th-6-7pm
We will go over room assignments, medication, and your responsibilities. If you are a Chaperone and cannot attend this meeting- please let me know so that we can schedule a time to meet before the trip to go over your packet of information.
Are you following our classroom twitter? @mrskarenrigsby
What We Are Learning
- Reading- We are continuing with Our Strategy Groups this week. We are also working on finding the meaning of new words by using Context Clues.
- Math- This week we are going to become masters of Mixed Numbers & Improper Fractions. We will be adding/subtracting as well as multiplying by a whole number.
- Writing- We are publishing our NC Books! Students need to turn in their Friendly Letter about Spring Break as Well!
- Social Studies- We are continue to discuss the Cherokee Native Americans- in preparation for the Mural!
Raleigh Trip Information/Reminders:
What to Wear on Thursday Morning
Your child needs to wear comfortable clothing and comfortable shoes. They will be walking A LOT. We recommend pants with pockets!
Carry On Size Suitcase
Your student can pack one small suitcase (carry on size or smaller). This suitcase will be placed UNDER the Young Tour Bus, and your child will NOT have access to this bag until we unload at the hotel late that evening.
Outfit for Day 2 (on the bus, NC Zoo)
Sunglasses / Hat to keep the sun off their face
Comfortable Shoes (same as day 1/different)
Clean Socks if Necessary
Toiletries (Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, brush)
Bookbag for the Bus
Anything your child needs on the bus, or in Raleigh (Museums, Dinner, Planetarium) should be in a separate bag (no larger than a backpack) with them on the bus. These items may include:
Spending Money and Camera
Uno, Puzzle Book, Book to Read (Nothing Messy, or difficult to clean up)
Neck Pillow / Small Blanket
Water Bottle (Water only)
There are gift shops in the History Museum, Science Museum, Planetarium, and Zoo. If the students choose to bring spending money they may purchase things in the gift shops when they go through with their groups. PLEASE do not send your students with a check or credit card. Students are responsible for keeping up with their own money and items that they purchase. The chaperones will not be holding, or managing money or items.
Students may bring devices to take photos. If the device is also a iPad- it may NOT be used for anything other than taking photos.
Students may bring a cell phone to use as a camera. At the hotel, students may place a call to their parents for a short conversation in front of their chaperone. The cell phone will then be placed on the dresser while they sleep. No texting is allowed, please do not text or call your child at all during the trip. If you have an emergency and need to speak with your child- you may contact your child’s homeroom teacher.
Your child’s chaperone and teacher are NOT responsible for any tech devices brought. If at any time, a tech device is being misused (texting, inappropriate photos, games, music, apps) chaperones will confiscate the device and return it to the homeroom teacher. Your child will not get their device back for the remainder of the trip.
Your child will find out his/her roommate assignment this week before we go on the trip. They will receive a paper with their roommate assignments, chaperone that they will be assigned to, and teacher cell phone information (in case of emergencies).