Striving For Excellence
The Hybrid Model brought some of our students back into the Lucas Mighty Hawk" hallways.
We thoroughly enjoyed seeing our first in-person students “smile with their eyes” while still greeting and meeting the needs of our remote learners. Teachers worked diligently using the new SeeSaw technology to bridge instruction and experiences for our remote and in-person learners and continued building classroom connections.
Even though we only experienced this magic for a short 4 weeks, we are eager to continue our phase back to hybrid learning. We continue to encourage each other to follow the Return to Learn (RTL) plan and appreciate your continued partnership for student success as students continue to learn in a remote environment.
Enjoy your weekend!
Second Trimester Enrollment Election
As we near the end of the first trimester, we will soon be opening the enrollment process for the second trimester. As was shared with you previously, at the beginning of each trimester, families will have two enrollment options for their students.
· Option A: Enroll the student in a standard class section. This section will follow our Continuum of Learning Models and may meet fully on-site, in a hybrid scenario (partially on-site, partially off-site), fully off-site, or any combination of these throughout the year, depending upon current state guidance and local health conditions. Currently, the District is in the hybrid model.
· Option B: Enroll the student in the ICCSD PK-12 Online Learning Program, which will enroll the student in online coursework for the entire trimester.
All parents will be asked to log in to PowerSchool and make their second trimester selection for their students. The second trimester enrollment process will be open from October 28 through November 4. The election that is made will go into effect beginning December 8, 2020. Families will receive instructions on how to complete this process on Wednesday, October 28.
As a reminder, we are seeking input from families regarding learning models as we move through the school year. If you have not already done so, please take a few moments to participate here: https://bit.ly/3jagdiI. The survey will be open through Monday, October 26.
We appreciate your time and feedback.
Iowa City Community School District
Lucas Virtual Tech Night
We are offering parents and students sessions on the following topics:
-Wonders/McGraw Hill online
-Helping your child at home (offsite days or online learning)
Sessions will be 30 minutes in length. We hope to see you!
Updates to Inclement Weather Guidelines
The seasons have started to change and winter weather is right around the corner. We want to share some changes to our approach to inclement weather days this year and provide a reminder of where this information can be found. Moving forward, the District will provide online instruction on days when the weather prevents us from having in-person classes. Rather than our traditional “snow days”, these days will now be considered “virtual learning days”.
Schedules for students in our various models are as follows on these virtual learning days:
- Online Learning Program - All classes will continue to meet as scheduled based on the Online Learning Program Schedule.
- Elementary Hybrid
- On-site students - On-site students will follow the Online Learning Program/100% Offsite Schedule. The times and Zoom links will be sent to parents by the classroom teacher prior to 8:00 am. (This applies to A students on A days and to B students on B days.)
- Off-site students - Off-site students will log into the morning meeting as scheduled, and complete any asynchronous activities as planned. Off-site students who are receiving synchronous off-site SDI, interventions, or ELL supports will receive those as planned. (This applies to A students on B days and to B students on A days.)
- Secondary Hybrid
- On-site students - All scheduled on-site classes will follow the Friday Online Learning Program/100% Off-site Schedule, which has each class meeting synchronously for each period. (Hybrid: If it’s an A day, A students will meet synchronously; if it’s a B day, B students will meet synchronously.) Teachers are encouraged to limit the synchronous requirements to half of the class period.
- Off-site students - Off-site students will work on asynchronous activities as planned. (If it’s an A day, B students will work on scheduled asynchronous activities; if it’s a B day, A students will work on scheduled asynchronous activities.) Off-site students would not be expected to log on to synchronous periods.
While the weather might be unpleasant, we are pleased that we will be able to keep students engaged and learning on these days. In addition to virtual learning, the District will provide Grab & Go Meals at the District’s designated sites on these virtual learning days.
As a reminder, the District's Inclement Weather Guidelines for issuing delay, cancellation, and early release decisions can be found on the District’s website by clicking HERE.
As decisions are made regarding school day changes, the District aims to keep parents connected so that notifications are received conveniently and timely. In addition to the notifications that are sent via email, phone, and text, we encourage you to follow the District on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to ensure that announcements are right at your fingertips. We also encourage you to download the District’s mobile app, where you can find everything school and district related in one convenient spot.
If you have any questions, please contact the Educational Services Center at (319) 688-1000.
Iowa City Fire Prevention Presentation
Champions Before and After School
Hello Lucas Families!
1. The Lucas Parent Teacher Organization is a group made up of parents/guardians, teachers, and building leaders. There are no membership fees or required levels of participation. We consider all Lucas families to be members, and every voice is valuable.
2. Meetings are held the second Monday of each month at 7 p.m. For the foreseeable future, our meetings will be held via Zoom. Our next meeting of the school year will be Monday, November 9th. All Lucas parents/guardians are welcome.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 954 7772 6497
3. Whether or not you are able to attend meetings, we hope you’ll stay in touch. Here are some easy ways to stay connected:
"like" our PTO Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/LucasElementaryPTO),
and the Family Resource Center page (https://www.facebook.com/LucasElementaryFamilyResourceCenter)
- subscribe to our blog, http://themightyhawkmessenger.blogspot.com/
4. Finally, you’ll be hearing more soon about our fall fundraiser, Make a Mighty Difference. Now more than ever we’re counting on the generosity of Lucas families, extended families, neighbors, and neighborhood businesses. Rather than asking our kids to sell items, we’ve chosen a “direct ask” model of fundraising. Take a look at the great improvements we’ve already had to our playground to get a taste of what’s to come! We also use these funds to reimburse teachers for classroom supplies, to fund field trips (which we hope to have again some day), and other enrichment activities.
We know this is a stressful and uncertain time for our entire community. The Lucas PTO urges you to approach this school year with a spirit of patience, flexibility, and forgiveness. Let’s remember that the fantastic teachers and staff members in the ICCSD are all doing their very best to be respectful, responsible, caring, and safe.
Lucas rocks! Mighty Hawks!
The Lucas Elementary PTO
Lucas Elementary School
Lucas is a school community where ...
- all children have opportunities to grow and learn in a supportive environment,
- successful learning and respect for all are valued priorities, and
- staff, parents, and community act in partnership and serve as positive role models to promote lifelong learning.