Rocket Family Weekly Update - Week of September 11-15
September 10, 2023
Dear Rocket Families,
It is hard to believe we are just two weeks away from the end of the 1st 6 weeks grading period. If you have any academic concerns please ensure you reach out to your child's teacher.
We are excited to have Ms. Sanna Smawley join us this year as our Assistant Principal. Ms. Smawley is splitting her time between serving students at Rutherfordton Elementary and Harris Elementary. Please see below for an introduction to Ms. Smawley. We are so glad she has joined our Rocket Family!
A few Key Notes for this week:
- This week, we will begin teaching the Second Step Social and Emotional Learning Program, which includes lessons that support behaviors and skills for learning: listening, focusing attention, using self-talk to stay on-task, and being assertive when asking for help with a learning task. In our morning announcements and classroom morning meetings we’ll be reminding students of these skills, which help students be successful learners. Please tell your child’s teacher if you’d like more suggestions about supporting skills for learning at home.
- While on the bus, students are not allowed to eat or chew gum. We are finding a great deal of food trash on buses left behind by students - ESPECIALLY on BUS 83. We are also finding food, gum, etc. in between seats. Please help us with reminding your child of these rules.
- Each week a link for the menus for both breakfast and lunch is shared (see below). While it is our intention to offer everything on the menu that is posted, it might be necessary for our nutrition staff to adjust and potentially reduce options on occasion based on the availability of items. We greatly appreciate your understanding.
- Our Fall Picture Day will be next Tuesday, September 19. Information will be sent home this week regarding packages you may purchase. If you do not receive this information please let your child's teacher know.
- Families of students in grades 3, 4 and 5 are invited to join us on the evening of Thursday, September 21 from 5:30-7:00 PM for our Fall Open House. During this time, you will have an opportunity to attend a Title I Meeting with RES Updates and attend grade level meetings with CRUCIAL information to help your child have a successful school year. Our elevator is still under repair so we will be conducing grade level meetings in the media center (3rd Grade), cafeteria (4th grade) and gym (5th Grade). Families of students in Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade will have Open House on Thursday, September 28.
- iPads will be sent home beginning Tuesday for students who have paid the technology fee.
As always, please feel free to reach out to me anytime should you have any questions, concerns and/or suggestions. I may be reached at email@example.com, by way of Class Dojo or by calling the school at (828) 287-3778.
Upcoming Events & Important Information
- Tuesday, September 19
Fall Open House - Grades 3, 4 and 5
- Thursday, September 21
- Grades 3, 4 and 5 ONLY
End of 1st 6 Weeks
- Friday, September 22
- Tuesday, September 26; 11 AM
Fall Open House - Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd Grades
- Thursday, September 28
- Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd Grades ONLY