Mercer Museum & MUCH More!
An Underground Railroad Private Lesson & Special Exhibit too
Friday, Jan. 30th 2015 at 12:45-4pm
84 South Pine Street
RSVP no later than Thursday, Jan. 22nd! (See below for info needed)
COST OF ADMISSION: Please bring exact change!
- $10.00 per child that wants to take part in both the special private Underground Railroad Lesson (1.5 hours and focused on K-8th grade although all ages are welcome) as well as the castle tour and special exhibit.
- $4.00 for 9th - 12th grade student who are choosing to not participate in Underground Railroad Private lesson and just go on the general tour and view the special exhibit.
- $9.00 adults. regardless of participation in group program or general tour.
- Free for under 5 years old.
The Mercer Museum: Explore: The Mercer Museum is a history museum of everyday life in America during the 18th and 19th centuries. Henry Mercer (1856-1930) gathered the collection and constructed the Museum.The collection of some 40,000 objects documents the lives and tasks of early Americans through the tools that met their needs and wants prior to the Industrial Revolution, or about 1850. Visitors can choose their own paths through the Museum. Most of the 55 exhibit rooms and alcoves display the tools or products of an early American craft, trade or occupation. Other rooms show categories of objects such as lighting devices or architectural hardware.
House and Home Special Exhibit: What makes a house a home? Throughout American history, people have lived in all sorts of places, from military barracks and two‐story colonials to college dormitories and row houses. The exhibit embarks on a tour of houses both familiar and surprising, through past and present, to explore the varied history, and many cultural meanings of the American home through film clips, construction materials, domestic artifacts, and photographs
Purpose of outing: Educational and Social
OLS Hours: 3 hours of History
Want to possibly have YOUR home become part of the special exhibit??
- 12:45 pm - All families must arrive on time to sign-in, pay admission, get name tags and submit outing forms if needed
- 1:00 pm - 1:30 - The Underground Railroad (focused on K-8th graders but all are welcome)
- If 9th - 12th grade students would rather explore the museum at this time, that is ok too!
- 1:30 - 3:50 - All PA Virtual Families and staff will self explore the special exhibit and the wondrous Mercer Museum and the special exhibit: House & Home!
- 3:50 - 4:00 pm - Goodbye's and Museum shop.
RSVP: Parents must submit ALL of the below information from their Designated parent school email no later than the end of day Jan. 22nd!
Please send all RSVP info (#1-6) from your parent school Gmail account to:
FSC Heather Schaffer firstname.lastname@example.org
1) Student name, grade, homeroom teacher’s name
2) Chaperone’s full name
3) Additional people: (name & age/grade (if child), or name of adult.)
4) Total in Group
5) Will your 9th-12th grader be skipping the private Underground Railroad lesson?
6) Any serious allergies or medical conditions that I should be reminded about?
Reminders about all PA Virtual Outings
1: In consideration of our students with serious allergies, please refrain from bringing nut (food) products and balloons.
2: As always, to limit the spread of possible flu, please do not attend a PAVCS event if you have had a fever within 24 hours of the event.
3: For safety: All students need to be accompanied by a parent or learning coach. All students must wear shoes/sneakers for the entire school event and please refrain from bringing pets.
4: If there is a possibility of severe weather, please check Blackboard the day of the event in case the event is cancelled due to weather.
5: All PAVCS events are tobacco free. Please do not smoke near or around any children or the outing facility.