Fourth Grade News
Mrs. Spencer's Class - Week of 3/9
The fourth grade team is excited about our weekly IXL challenges! Our aim with the IXL challenges is to review 4th grade Math concepts in a spiraled approach. IXL can be accessed at home, and one computer lab is open from 7:30-8:05 each morning for students to practice.
Challenge #1 (Runs until 3/11): D.19, C.7, G.6
Challenge #2 (3/11-3/18): E.21, U.8, W.3
Please encourage your child to utilize this fantastic resource and to master the weekly challenge skills. Thank you for your support!
We also explored another great Math resource on Friday called TenMarks. Ask your child to show you TenMarks at home! If your child misplaced his or her log-in slip, please notify me & I will send it along to you!
UPDATES, OBJECTIVES, & LINKS
Rollerblading Starts TOMORROW!
Students will be rollerblading during PE classes from MARCH 9-31. Safety and learning basic rollerblading skills will be the main emphasis of this unit. All students will be required to wear protective gear-knee pads, elbow pads and wrist guards. The school provides this safety equipment, but the students are encouraged to bring their own. Most students choose to bring their own rollerblades, but we have rollerblades for those without their own. If you bring your own blades, please have your name on them and clean the wheels. We do not use skate brakes in the gym. Please wear LONG SOCKS to prevent blisters and contamination of rollerblades.
If you have any questions- please contact Cathy Hennessy or Nate Hamm at 634-1234.
I LOVE TO READ MONTH INFORMATION:
LEGO HALLWAY BANNER ASSIGNMENT: Please help your child remember to complete & return this assignment ASAP!
THIS TUESDAY - 3/10: Comfy-Womfy Day - wear pj’s or sweats
THIS THURSDAY - 3/12: Neon & Construction Day
3/19: Pod Color & Lego Character Day
3/26: Stripes & Dots Day -- wear anything with stripes or dots
3/27: “Springy Best” Day -- this is Spring picture day!
3/31: Hilarious Hair & Hats Day
This Week's Important Updates:
- Yearbook Pre-Orders: Student yearbooks must be pre-ordered by March 13th. Yearbooks cost $10 & checks should be made to KMES.
- Quarry Hill Summer Camp Flyer: Check out the attached Quarry Hill flyer for information about their summer offerings!
- Science Museum Trip Payment: Payment for our Science Museum trip must be made in full by April 10th. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!
- Weekly IXL Challenges: The IXL challenges with Mrs. Krell will start this week and will run from Wednesday to Wednesday. Students will be assigned 3 skills to master each week & will then be in a drawing to have lunch with Mrs. Krell. All students who master the assigned skills will get a certificate & reward each week!
- Homework Routines: Students are assigned to reading 30-35+ minutes nightly, practicing math facts for 5-10+, completing the nightly Study Link/math assignment, and completing a roots assignment nightly.
- Transportation Changes?: Please write a note in your child’s planner, send me a note, or send me an e-mail any time your child has a change in transportation plans. This is very important! Thank you!
Music Projects are due Monday, March 30th!
This Week's Objectives:
- We are reading various selections in our Storyworks magazines.
- We are working on reptile and amphibian student-planned projects.
- We are reading the play Grace and the Time Machine.
- We are utilizing the PRUNES (Preview, Read x2, Underline, Notice key words, Eliminate, Survey/ check) strategy while reading passages and answering questions.
- We are building reading stamina and working on expanding vocabulary.
- We are finding the areas of rectangles, parallelograms, and triangles.
- We are estimating and comparing area measurements.
- We are describing and using strategies to find the areas of polygons.
- We are comparing and ordering fractions.
- We are developing speed and accuracy with multiplication and division facts. Please help your child remember to practice facts at home each night for both multiplication and division! It is essential that students know basic facts with speed and accuracy. Thank you!
- In Science, we are discussing germs and how to keep one's body healthy.
- In Social Studies, students are learning about the southern region of the United States. Students will have an upcoming test on ALL states and capitals that have been studied thus far. Please remind your child to practice memorizing the states and capitals at home!
Check out Learning Locator!
Your child now has received his or her codes for both Math and Reading. Visit: http://perspective.pearsonaccess.com/perspective/appmanager/mn/family to get started! Please email me for your child's code/another copy of the code sheet if needed.
Don't Forget - Nightly Roots & Vocabulary Homework!
Links for Learning:
Read Theory - This is a great way to practice reading passages and answering questions online. The website is www.readtheory.org.
Hour of Code (Learn coding!): http://hourofcode.com/us
All Math Study Links: http://www.mrnale.com/StudyLinks_Grade_4.htm
Big IQ Kids Spelling/Vocab: www.bigiqkids.com
Wishing you a fantastic week!
Please contact me with any questions or comments.
Your Partner in Education,