Palencia Elementary Media Center 2019
What is the Summer Slide?
Palencia's Read 6 E-books for Summer Success
Did you know that your child could avoid summer reading loss by reading just 6 books this summer? With this inspiration, the PES Pirate Cove is sponsoring a summer reading program for our pirates that utilizes our library’s collection of E-books on MackinVia. The school library is always open online and the summer time is no exception. We have created summer reading lists from MackinVia for each grade level. Your child can participate in this program by doing the following:
1. Log-in to the MackinVia website with any Internet connected device using your student number and I-ready password. (Username – s12345 Password – tiger123 or use the Guest login by leaving the school line blank, Username – palencia, Password – pirates)
2. Read at least 6 books from the grade level list posted on the MackinVia home page or the image list below. Use the list for the grade your child is entering in August 2018.
3. Circle the books that your child reads on the summer reading form and complete the name and new teacher information.
4. Turn in your Summer Success form when school starts by August 23 and receive a Smencil and new book. All students who complete the 6 E-book challenge will be entered into a drawing for 6 $20 gift certificates to the Fall Book Fair.
Below are each upcoming grade level lists. They are also listed on the MackinVia home page. Each list image below is linked to the groups in MackinVia. To download the Summer Reading Form visit the Summer Reading Page or click on the downloadable forms below each grade level list.
The St. Johns County Public Library
- Bookmobile - visits the Publix @ Palencia Commons, 7462 US Hwy 1 N, Saint Augustine, FL 32095 1:30-3PM Wednesdays: 6/5, 6/19, 7/3, 7/17, 8/7, 8/21
- Library for Summer Reading - Important learning can happen anywhere, especially at your local library, and especially this summer! We have a wide array of programming and resources to keep your brain active and body fit. Beginning May 21, stop by your local branch to pick up a free reading log and track your progress to earn cool prizes and awards.
Have fun and improve your reading skills by ROCKING your branch’s summer reading program. Connect, Learn, Enjoy @ Your Library and ROCK with us this summer!
- E-books - SJCPL uses Overdrive as their e-book platform. There are thousands of e-books available for elementary and middle school aged students with your library card.
Epic Over the Summer
Scholastic Summer Reading Palooza
As published on Scholastic's site ...
According to the Scholastic Kids & Family Reading Report™: 7th Edition, 77% of kids ages 6–17 and 94% of parents believe reading books over the summer helps kids during the school year.
The Scholastic Read-a-Palooza Summer Reading Challenge is a free program designed to be both educational and fun to help prevent the effects of the summer slide—the learning losses that can occur during the summer months.
Over the course of 18 weeks, kids can enter their summer reading minutes online, unlocking digital rewards as they complete weekly reading challenges; and access book excerpts, videos, and other summer-exclusive content.