August 6, 2018
It's Almost Time!
Our theme for this school year is... "It's Time". You will see this come up in a different way each month. For August, "It's time to Get Acquainted".
We have had several staff changes over the summer so I think it's best that I give a complete list of all of our homeroom teachers for the 2018-19 school year. Please note that class assignment cards will be mailed later this week. We spend a great deal of time on class assignments and many factors are taken into consideration. Teacher requests cannot be accepted. Please do not call or email and ask for this. All of our teachers are excellent and well-qualified.
PK2: Kerri St. Vil
PK3: Janet Lopes
K4: Shirley Dauphine Rm. 3 and Sarah Menendez Rm. 2
K5: Maydelline Barrionuebo Rm. 1 and Briana Lee Rm. 12
1st: Adria Simon Rm. 10 and Jhodi Woodfork Rm. 11
2nd: Eden Rancano Rm. 8 and Lisset Santana Rm. 7
3rd: Kirsten White Rm. 9 and Eva Sano Rm. 4
4th: Faith Goodin Rm. 16 and Jamila Jackson Rm. 15
5th: Alicia Alonso and Estrella Quiroz (Rm. tba)
6th: Homeroom: Karega Tucker Rm. 17
7th; Homeroom: Yashiqua Bey P1
8th: Homeroom: Beverly Thompson P2
It is very unusual for Holy Cross to have so many new staff members and while we will miss our departing teachers, we are excited about what special skills and gifts our new staff will be able to share with our school family. Now, a word of explanation.
- Both Mrs. Milanovic and Mrs. Henry moved from the area due to their husband's jobs. Mrs. Milanovic is moving to Naples and Mrs. Henry is moving to Port St. Lucie. They are very sad to be leaving our school but we understand and wish them well.
- Mrs. Cruz has moved out of the state to be nearer to her family as she raises her two little girls. We all know how important grandparents are in their grandchildren's lives.
- Mrs. Moore retired and Mrs. Quiroz has moved to 5th grade. She has been waiting for this opportunity to teach upper elementary.
- Mr. Canete will be working full-time in ministry with his church.
- Mr. Pearson has taken a well-deserved partial retirement and will be teaching middle school Social Studies this year.
- Mrs. Thompson will be teaching middle school science and math this year. She is especially excited about teaching science!
- Mr. Harden will be teaching all music classes and 5th-8th technology.
- Mrs. Lafosse will be teaching K4 thru 4th grade technology
- Pastor Al Jackson will be teaching 6th and 7th grade Bible
- Our new DCE Intern, Nathan Toenjes, will be teaching 8th grade bible.
Our new teachers:
- In K5, we are happy to welcome Mrs. Briana Lee. She most recently taught at Championship Academy of Distinction (a charter school) and previously taught at the Goddard School (where she worked with Mrs. Milanovic) and Miami Country Day School.
- In 1st grade, we welcome Mrs. Jhodi Woodfork. She is very familiar to us as she was the long term substitute teacher for Mrs. Milanovic during her maternity leave. She has taught at several schools both public and private, including North Miami Senior High and the Learning Experience School.
- In 3rd grade, we welcome Ms. Eva Sano. Mrs. Sano most recently taught at RISE Academy of Technology (a charter school) and she has even taught in China!
- In 4th grade, we welcome Mrs. Jamila Jackson. She is well known to us as she was Mrs. Cruz's long term substitute during her maternity leave, In addition, she and her three sisters were all educated here at Holy Cross! Mrs. Jackson most recently taught at North Miami Senior High School and is the wife of Pastor Al Jackson Sr.
- In 6th grade homeroom, we welcome Mr. Karega Tucker. He will be teaching all levels of PE and is our new athletic director. He most recently was the athletic director at Doctor's Charter School in Miami Shores.
- Pastor Al Jackson Jr. is the Pastor of Greater New Macedonia Church.
- Nathan Toenjes is our new Director of Christian Education Intern. In addition to teaching 8th grade bible, he will be working with our Jr. and Sr. Youth and in other areas of our church. He moved here with his wife, Beth Toenjes, who will be working in the church office and in church and school outreach.
The card will give you information on your child's class placement as well as information on our two MEET THE TEACHER nights and hours for the first two days of school. Please be sure that you come to the correct MEET THE TEACHER night as the teachers will be here only on that night. Please call the office with any questions.
Uniform information and Dress Code
I believe that the uniform company is fully stocked again. I apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced. There always will be adjustments when switching to a new company.
Here is the link to the school uniform policy / dress code for the 2018-19 school year. There were minor changes. We have eliminated the yellow polo, Khaki bottoms and the Island shirt, however, students who have them may still wear them this next year only. Please do not buy new Khaki bottoms. Please be sure to follow the guidelines for purchasing shoes. Hard copies are available in the school office.
Click here for the dress code:
Link to Ibiley Uniforms: Put our school name in to view our items:
Address and Hours for Ibiley:
1267 NE 163rd Street ( in the mall by Ross)
August 1st - 19th
Monday - Saturday : 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Sunday : Noon to 5:00 PM
School office hours until school begins
Thursday and Friday, August 15th and 16th : 9AM-4PM, 6PM to 8PM
Holy Cross Family Work Night
We will begin at 5PM,but come whenever you are able.
We will provide a light meal (probably hotdogs or pizza) and work together on inside jobs (classrooms) or outside jobs (working on the grounds, etc.)
Service hours will be given to all adults that work on a project. You may bring school-aged children with you but they must be under your supervision. Please do not bring infants or younger children.
PK and K4 uniform items, PE clothing, Bibles
We are now fully stocked in early childhood shirts in assorted sizes and colors, PE shirts and shorts, NIV Bibles and Beginner's Bibles. You can purchase these in the school office
PK and K4 students may wear last year's navy blue athletic shorts OR navy blue uniform shorts that have ELASTIC WAIST ONLY. No buttons, snaps, zippers or belts please. We have a limited supply of PK athletic shorts from last year left that we will sell. SHOES MUST HAVE VELCRO CLOSURES
SUMMER READING INFORMATION
Please click on the link below to access the Summer Reading Information. This will link you to our website. Select books within the guidelines but please also know that WHAT your child reads is not as important as HOW MUCH your child reads. If your child is not old enough to read to him/herself, you should be spending at least 30 minutes per day reading to/with them. If your child can read independently, he/she should be reading at least 30 minutes per day.
Click Here for link to Summer Reading Information.
WHAT'S COMING UP?
Wednesday, August 15: Holy Cross family work night, 5PM on.
Thursday, August 16: Meet the teacher 3rd-8th 6-8pm
Friday, August 17: Meet the teacher, PK-2nd 6-8pm
Monday, August 20: 1st day of school EARLY RELEASE
Tuesday, August 21: EARLY RELEASE
School Supply Lists
All are invited to our church!
Sunday School for Kids and Bible Study for Youth and Adults: 9:15AM
Sunday Worship Service: 10:30AM
650 NE 135th Street, North Miami, Fl. 33161
Marluys Sejba email@example.com
Natalia Escobar firstname.lastname@example.org
Roslyn Noel email@example.com
Lisette Rogers firstname.lastname@example.org
Sherri Mackey email@example.com
Soraya Trujillo firstname.lastname@example.org
Please see preliminary calendar below.