Santiago Charter Newsletter
Friday, January 20, 2023
Hello Santana Families!
Thank you to all the families who stopped by our Open House, it was great to see you all on campus! If you know of anyone interested in learning more about our campus, please feel free to share our information with them!
We have many different groups performing in the upcoming weeks, starting with our Musical Theater's production of "Elf". The performances will be on Wed. 1/25 and Thurs. 1/26 at 7 pm in the cafeteria. Tickets will be sold at the door, $10 for adults and $5 for students. Please join us for this special production!
Parents, if you would like to get involved around campus, please consider reading about opportunities through PTSA down below. We need help, and would love any support you can give us! (Details about PTSA opportunities below.)
:) Team Santiago
Enrollment For 2023-2024
We are always so excited to get a chance to show off all the awesome opportunities at Santiago, so we thank you for helping to spread the word!
International Week at Santiago
International Week is next week, and we are looking forward to celebrating the many cultures that make up our campus! We still have opportunities available if you would like to volunteer sharing a bit about your family's culture! Please click the link below if you would like to help:
Our Santiago community was recently notified that one of our own is up against some tough times. Bryce is an 8th grade student at Santiago who was diagnosed with Ewing Sarcoma late last week. Bryce is a Santana who is always smiling, has amazingly positive energy, and a leader on our campus. He has touched many students, staff and families and many have reached out inquiring how to help. There is a GoFundMe set up for medical bills and support for Bryce and his family for those who want to help, please see the following link if you would like to offer financial help to him and his family:
In addition, our ASB is working on formulating a way for the students to support and reach out to Bryce (more to come). He and his family have strong faith and are feeling blessed by the outpouring of support they are getting and are so grateful to be a part of such a caring community who always steps up when one of our own is in need - thank you!
We are currently working through the planning of our upcoming assessment season and are doing the state testing a little different this year. Our testing will occur the week of May 15th and will include a modified schedule. Each student (through their parents) will need to select a testing shift that they will attend from Monday, May 15th to Thursday, May 18th .
Please follow the steps below to select a testing shift for your student.
- Watch the video to help you better understand the testing week at Santiago.
- Fill out the survey selecting a testing shift for your student. Please remember each student needs a separate survey submission so if you have multiple students with us, please submit that quantity of times. The survey is DUE by Friday, January 27 so we can start the next phase in planning.
Thank you for always being great!
What's Happening Around Campus?
- Week of 1/23: International Week-- (activities during the school day)
- 1/24 - RAD store pick up at lunch
- 1/25 - Winter Musical 7pm
- 1/26 - Winter Musical @ 7pm
- 1/27 - RAD assembly (with an "international theme!") to recognize our students that earned honor roll for trimester 1! (Dismissal is the normal 1:35 PM time)
- Musical Theater Tri 2 performance 3/1
- Choir Tri 2 performance 3/2
- 8th graders walk to El Modena 3/3
Thank you to all who came by the PTSA booth to say hello or even sign up for volunteering opportunities during Open House.
8th-grade families! We will begin planning for our 8th grade promotion party, click the following link if interested in helping and being part of the fun.
Upcoming events to help out in, school dance on Friday 2/10 12:30 pm, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up
PTSA membership is still open for this school year! Click Santiago Charter Middle School PTSA to join today!
Ice Cream sales are on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. We are looking for any parent willing to come to sell ice cream also and help raise funds for the promotion party. Send an email to email@example.com if interested.
Our next PTSA meeting is on Tuesday, February 21, 2023. This meeting will be virtual, HERE is the link to join the meeting. Everyone is welcome to join us.
“Studies have shown that young students who fall behind in reading are likely to fall behind in all subjects as their education switches from learning to read to reading to learn. Reading also has the power to open up a whole new world of knowledge, creativity, and exploration for children, allowing them to find and follow their passions.”
In line with our campus focus of providing support for SBAC growth, reinforcing the importance of reading across the curriculum continues to be significant! Here are a few school wide activities that are aimed at encouraging reading for pleasure:
- February 3: Santanas Read! Kick Off Event– Student assembly with guest speaker!
- February 3- March 3: “Santanas Read!” school wide competition through Reading Counts
- Highest readers will be rewarded with a special treat
- March 2: Read Across America Day!
- Teachers will be sharing their favorite books
Santiago Helping Hands
- ASB Valentine's Dance: ASB is hosting the next dance on Feb. 10 and they are looking for donations. Please click HERE to sign up to help. Thank you in advance!
- PE Loaner Laundry Help: Are you able to wash an extra load of laundry over the weekend? The PE department needs help washing the loaner uniforms that are used throughout the week Please use this link to sign up for a Friday that you might be able to help.PE LAUNDRY SIGN UP
- The Wellness Center: Amazon Gift cards are needed to help with supplies and resources to support the Wellness Center. Please contact Ms. Patel or Mrs. Vicencia with any questions.
Please check this link frequently to keep up with weekly events on campus!
Health and Safety Guidelines & Resources
Please follow us on Facebook, use the link below...
Santiago Charter Middle School
A public school, with a private school approach