Raymore Update: 01/14/14
News For & About our Staff Family & PLC
Sharing a Book
Ms. Hofmann puts her Spanish speaking skills to use and reads La Isla by Arthur Dorros to third graders.
Students in Ms. Mason's class take pictures of artifacts to include in digital portfolios.
Student Planning Guides
Students in Art use planning guides to help master learning targets.
Sharing a Book
District Spelling Bee
Congratulations to Luke Voelker for doing a great job representing Raymore Elementary in the District Spelling Bee!
District Spelling Bee
Congratulations to Cal Goddard for doing a great job representing Raymore Elementary in the District Spelling Bee!
District Walk-Through Thursday, January 16
Thursday, January 16, from 1:45 to 3:45, district administrators will be here to walk-through our building providing feedback about teaching & learning practices with rigor, relevance, engagement and technology. This is a different structure this year, and one that will afford us a great opportunity to embrace celebrations of our good practices and set next steps for our growth and improvement!
Please ensure you have an idea of the schedule (check with your BLT rep), current class schedule posted outside your classroom, and have updated your hallway bulletin board.
The following is a link to our building walk through look fors:
Tuesday, January 21 PD Opportunities
- First and second year teachers are attending PDN- Formative Assessment
- Learning Team members are meeting to work on ELA units of study for next year
- One teacher from each grade level will attend Science Pioneers Workshop (focus on new Science Standards) -Teachers attending: Murphy, Moots, Mason, Geib, Kietzman
- Early Childhood teachers will observe Pre-K classrooms in other districts
If you are not part of any of the above professional development opportunities, you will participate in our building PD. DRAFT topics (still in the process of planning) for our building may include:
- Seven Strategies-Assessment for Learning Focus
- Developing building wide student expectations
As soon as our building PD agenda is finalized we will share it with you. This should be an exciting day full of new learning!
Reminder about District Curriculum Benchmark Assessments
- Many of you are done scoring and entering the kids' curriculum benchmark test scores! Congratulations! Several are still finishing, which is fine.
- Please alphabetize the stack from your class-1 for ELA and 1 for MATH. Turn them in to Renee by Wednesday 1/22.
- Michelle has to physically turn these in to ASC per the protocol directions no later than that Friday.
THANK YOU! for your prep of kids, time scoring, alerting us to a couple of kinks, and getting this info submitted for district to use to inform their "guaranteed & viable" curriculum work.
We have a few school wide assemblies scheduled for February:
February 3 9:00 a.m.--Great American Magazine Kick Off Assembly
February 21 9:00 a.m. - Major Saver Kick Off Assembly
February 27 TBA - Second Grade Musical School Wide Performance
Remember to hold a class meeting regarding our assembly expectations as well as practice before assembly dates. Please review where your class sits in assemblies (see seating chart handed out to you earlier this year). We may use the bleachers for some assemblies. If we do, we will let you know seating arrangements for bleachers.
1. Students sit on floor "criss cross applesauce spoons in the bowl"
2. Voices off
3. Respectful responses (no shouting out, yelling, stomping feet, etc)
4. When an adult's hand is raised in the air this is the signal for voice to go off & students raise their hand
Thank you for helping ensure all students are prepared for successful school wide assemblies!
Need help with your projects like cutting, stapling, etc?
There's a new tab on the PTA page (you get to it from raymoretigers.weebly.com) : VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES. Any sign-up genius or a need for help can be posted here. Ally, our parent web master volunteer, asks you give her at least 1 day notice of when their item/petition for help needs to be "live" on the site (so planning in advance will help get the volunteers in time to get any project done!) Let Karla know if you have a need and she'll forward it on to Ally for posting!
Reminders & FYIs-some new!
- Winter Conferences - Tuesday, Feb. 18 - more information coming soon
- Staff Party at Tanners in Overland Park from 7:00-9:00 on Jan. 24
- If there is a video that you would like student log-ins to have access to (while on the minis or other devices) that you notice students cannot watch, please email Kristin Mason or Seth the link and a short description of the video. Technology will be able to unlock videos for us on an individual basis. Please allow at least 24 hours for the video to be unlocked.
Looking for previous copies of our Weekly Staff Updates? If so, these can be found on our Raymore Tigers Weebly site under "For Staff" & then click on "Raymore Update".
- Please continue to practice classroom routines and building expectations. Class meetings are a great place to discuss and review expectations.
- Continue to take restroom breaks together as a class. If there are emergency situations, remember to send an escort with the student along with a hall pass.
- Classroom doors should remain locked and the magnet strip should be used to allow access into classrooms. If you need a new magnet, please notify Jennika.
- Attendance should be entered in SIS each morning by 9:00 a.m. Thank you for making sure this is done in a timely manner.
- Remember to add your lesson plans to the Google RE Shared Folder each Monday by 8:20 a.m.
- How to make a short cut on your iPad home screen: 1. Copy and paste the link below into the Safari web browser 2. Once Safari brings up the link, look for the icon that is a square with an arrow pointing upward. This icon is in the upper left hand corner of Safari. 3. Click on the icon. Next click on the icon "add to home screen" 4.Click "add"
- Call or text Michelle & Jennika if you're going to be unexpectedly absent (after 4 pm day before). 616-4210 and 550-4434
- Call or text Michelle if you will be in the building on the weekend! Protection One and Raymore PD contact her directly, so it's important she is aware in case a worry arises. 616-4210
- Remember to check the RE Shared Calendar for events! We are still adding, and things change.
- Remember to add your current class schedule to the Google RE Shared Folder & before you implement changes; post outside your door too.
PLC: Our Mission, Vision, Values
- Focus on Learning
- Build a Collaborative Culture
- Focus on Results
We answer four questions:
- What do we expect our students to learn? (Goals/Expectations)
- How will we know they are learning? (Assessment)
- How will we respond when they don’t learn? (DI Intervention)
- How will we respond if they already know it? (DI Extension)
To fulfill our mission & vision:
- M: Preparing each student for a successful and meaningful life
- V: Turning today's learners into tomorrow's leaders
With these commitments:
- We are committed to consistency & accountability for each student's success.
- We are committed to a system of support for students and adults.
- We are committed to a safe, trusting and collaborative environment.
- We are committed to best practices.
- We are committed to high expectations for learning, behavior and citizenship.
- We are committed to quality communication & positive relationships with all stakeholders
- We are committed to effective communication regarding student progress.
- We are committed to data-driven decision making.
- We are committed to use of appropriate channels for communication.
- We are committed to a guaranteed (consistent) and viable (doable) curriculum.
- We are committed to maintaining fiscal responsibility while improving student achievement