FMHS Counseling Department News
We hope you had a restful break! There are 3 weeks left in the first semester and a lot is happening!
A new year is bringing us an updated newsletter format. We are excited to be able to share more information with you!
Please note that the second semester schedules will now be released on January 15.
Don't forget to check our website for additional information!
Tips for Finishing Strong!
- Check your grades often.
- Discuss any concerns with your teachers ASAP!
- Make use of before and after school live help time with your teachers.
- Use the SC Discus free tutoring! Login through your ClassLink account on the main HS website.
- Make sure you use your study time wisely.
- Remember, final grades in all courses are calculated into your GPA.
Grade Level Information
- 10th grade IGP meetings will begin on January 26. Keep an eye on your email for updates when Flash Appointments open up!
- The PSAT makeup date from the October school closure will be January 26.
- Major cord applications will come out later this spring. Keep an eye on your email!
- Don't miss the scholarship information below in this newsletter. The Fort Mill Foundation scholarships will open later this spring.
- If you need a transcript sent, please make sure you log in to Naviance to request it. This includes mid-year transcript needs after the first semester ends.
Activities and Clubs
- Face to face meetings are following appropriate social distance protocol and safety measures.
- Some clubs are holding virtual meetings.
- You can find club information in the weekly newsletter link on the main FMHS website.
- Club information is also available in the main commons area.
College and Career Readiness
- Mr. Young is our Career Development Facilitator. He is here to help you explore careers! Set up an appointment with him today! You can email him here.
- Check out the FMHS Calendar for information on upcoming virtual college visits.
- Don't miss the No Limits November and Dream December recordings to learn more about soft skills and helping prepare you for life after high school!
- We held information sessions on College Planning 101 and Scholarships and Financial Aid earlier this year. Check out the recordings!
- Social Studies
- World Languages
- AP/SAT/ACT test prep
To access the tutoring, go to ClassLink, and enter your school email address and password. Next, click on SC Discus, then click on Tutor.com.
- Complete career interest assessments
- Search for colleges based on your career interests
- Compare colleges and find your best fit
- Check your GPA
- Request transcripts be sent to your colleges
- Request letters of recommendation from FMHS teachers to be sent to your colleges
- Search for scholarships
You will find videos to walk you through how to log in to Naviance on YouTube! To log in click on Sign in with Clever and use your school email address and password.
- We have scholarships listed in Naviance and on this spreadsheet. Students need to log in to their FMSD account to access the spreadsheet.
- In the spring, the Fort Mill Foundation scholarships will also open up. Seniors should check their email for more information!
- College Board has an Opportunity Scholarship that students can enter by completing tasks that are part of the college/career search process. Find more information here!
- The Commission on Higher Education oversees the state Hope, Life, and Palmetto Fellows scholarships. Find more information here.
- Students can sign up for the ACT on a national test date here.
- Students can sign up for the SAT on a national test date here.
- Please make sure to check that your testing site is still open prior to arriving at the test site. Some sites have had to cancel due to COVID. You may have to travel farther than normal for an available test site.
- Students qualifying for Free/Reduced lunch can request a Fee Waiver in the counseling office.
- If students have an IEP or 504 their accommodations must be requested and approved by College Board and/or ACT. Please make sure that you are registering early to ensure there is adequate time for staff to send in the information. ACT and College Board will still have to review and approve or deny the requests.
EOC ExamsEnglish 2 Writing EOC
- January 7th A Day
- January 8th B Day/FMVA
English 2 Reading EOC & US History EOC
- January 11th A Day
- January 12th B Day/FMVA
Biology 1 EOC & Algebra 1 EOC
- January 14 B Day/FMVA
- January 15 A Day
3rd and 4th Block Exams
- January 19 B Day Exams
- January 20 A Day Exams
1st and 2nd Blocks
- January 21 B Day
- January 22 A Day
PSAT Makeup Test
- January 26 B Day Students
School Dates to Note
- January 4/5 Virtual Learning Days
- January 15 Second Semester Schedules Released
- January 22 Last Day of First Semester
- January 18 Martin Luther King Jr. Day -- No School
- January 25 Teacher Work Day
- January 26 First Day of the Second Semester
- January 29 First Semester Report Cards Released in PowerSchool
Connect With Your Counselor
Mrs. Anne Anderson 9th A-K
Ms. Adrienne Long 9th Grade L-Z
Mr. Barry Ledford 10th-12th A-E
Mr. Andrew Griggs 10th-12th Grades F-L
Mrs. Courtney Kountz 10th-12th Grades M-R
Ms. Karen Castillo 10th-12th Grades S-Z
Follow us on Twitter and Instagram: @fmhscounseling