Friday, October 27, 2017
Thoughts from Mrs. Lewis....
- Veteran Teachers (25+ years on a teacher's license) You should have seen a $385 bonus in your paycheck. If not, contact the finance dept.
- Instructional time missed- Don't miss the opportunity to build a relationship and an opportunity to teach. If a student asks to speak to administration, screen the situation to find out details of the problem, first. There have been a lot of students coming up to the office and once admin speaks with the child, it turns out to be a very simple issue that could have been resolved in the classroom. Example this week: A student reported that another student hit him in line at the bathroom.
- Halloween: Be advised students should not wear costumes.
- Report Cards will be given to homeroom teachers, BUT should be given out in your last core class. 8th grade, distribute to last core before electives.
- Please limit students being sent to the front office at dismissal.
- SIT Reps will share the following concerning our conversation about altercations: new procedures for lockers/bathrooms in the morning and afternoon, TLC revamps and hall passes. Students must wear the pass to be mobile in the hallway. (COMING SOON)
- There will be a lot of subs in the building next week on Thursday and Friday. Teams, should leave detailed plans and make arrangements for high fliers to avoid any issues.
- Shout out to Robin Miller for helping each and every day with PTO distribution of chocolate and collection of money.
- Thank you to staff for your hard work with discipline. Our numbers are down and that is a testament to you!
- Kudos to Ms. Brayboy and Mrs. Spencer for their extra efforts to help a very needy student be successful.
- Shout out to Ms. T. Johnson, Mr. Gallagher, and Mr. Oswald for their commitment to several students that need out-of-the-box interventions.
- Thank you to Chevalier, Wedlock, and Gross and the support team for traveling to a parent that we have had no success in reaching.
- A BIG shout out to Lynette for collecting and organizing our student surveys to meet the district deadline.
- Shout out to SIT Team for coming to a last minute emergency meeting this week.
- Shout out to Audrey Kingston for organizing our popcorn reward for benchmarks. That took a lot of work!
- Shout out to Mr. Dunham for all of his efforts in making the 1st benchmark administration a success.
Student in Need
Ms. Brayboy is working with a 6th grade student in need of clothes. She wears size 7 pants, size 9 shoes, and Medium shirts, sweaters, sweatshirts, jackets, sports bra. The student is in need of socks and personal hygiene products as well. If you have any hand-me-downs or extra supplies at home, we will be very appreciative!
- Good luck 6th grade with your Spartan Scans rollout on Tuesday! See a 7th or 8th grade teacher for supports.
- Since we do not have school on Monday, for next week, students must earn 15 scans to attend TLC.
- 7th & 8th grade Teachers: Even though we have liquidated the use of tickets, the bus drivers are still using ticket. Please convert bus tickets- 4 tickets equals 1 scan.
- Due to so many activities going on next week, we will begin our ROARmart visits at another time.
- Don't forget: Set up your own store!
Student in Need
- Mr. John McLean's (custodian) brother passed away this week. Please keep the family in your prayers. Please reach out to Mr. John in his time of need.
- Please remember Lynette Gibson as her mother undergoes surgery.
- Continue to pray for Danny and Angela Gallagher as they tackle some of Angela's health concerns while pregnant.
- Help us welcome Pam Hedgpeth, our new 8th Grade Science teacher.
- Jonathan Graham, 6th grade student on Hasty, Quick, Henderson and Lawson's team, lost everything due to a devastating house fire on Airbase Road.
- Teacher we are getting a lot reports of restrooms that are dirty and being trashed. Please teach your students to report bathroom issues to you AS SOON AS THEY ENTER the restroom so you can report them to the front office. Thank you for helping us with this!
If you are planning on not working on the Optional Teacher Workday on Monday, October 30, 2017, you must put absence in KRONOS. This has to be done prior to Monday, October 30, 2017. You may use annual leave, special annual leave, personal leave, or leave without pay. If you have any questions or need help, please see Ms. Kingston.
- We are still collecting United Way Pledge Cards. Let's get 100%! $1 counts as a donation.
- A list of grant opportunities is located: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By0F01LHF8bhUEZVcFI1ZV84TVE/view.
Please be reminded that it is a district expectation to enter grades in PowerSchool on a weekly basis. Parents, guardians, and student use the Parent/Student Portal to check grades and should be able to see their up-to-date progress.
October is Learning Disabilities, Dyslexia Awareness Month, Bullying Awareness, and Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Monday, October 30 - Optional Teacher Workday 8:00 - 3:30 (hour and a half lunch); Understanding Poverty Training (select teachers 8:00-3:30)
Tuesday, October 31 - Halloween
November is American Indian Heritage Month
Wednesday, November 1- Project PINK Meeting; 6th Grade to ROARmart; Learning Focused PD (Assignments for electives); Report Cards go home; Football @ West Hoke; PBIS Event (Details to come)
Thursday, November 2- ELA/SS EC Teachers Instructional Planning @ SHS with Carver; 7th Grade to ROARmart; End of Nine Weeks AR Celebration; Fall Picture Make-Up; Cross Country @ W. Hoke
Friday, November 3 - Clubs; Math/Science Instructional Planning @ SHS with Carver; 8th Grade to ROARmart; End of Nine Weeks PBIS Celebration
Tuesday, November 7: Staff Meeting; Election Day; 6th Grade Field Trip to Raleigh (Eley, Blue, Francis, C. Johnson, Best, Williams teams)
Wednesday, November 8: Principal Leadership; Discovery Ed Techbook Training (during planning periods); Football @ Sandy Grove; 6th Grade Field Trip to Raleigh (Hasty, Lawson, Henderson, J. Quick team)
Thursday, November 9: AP Leadership; Indian Heritage Program (Afternoon Assembly Schedule)
Friday, November 10: Veterans Day Holiday
Saturday, November 11: Robotics Competition at Campbell University
Tuesday, November 14: Cross Country Championship
Wednesday, November 15: Football Championship
Wednesday, November 15: Wacky Wednesday
Friday, November 17: Clubs
Tuesday, November 21: SIT Meeting
November 22-24: Thanksgiving Holiday
Tuesday, November 28: All County Band and Arts Showcase
Wednesday, November 29: Safety Committee Meeting @ 3:45pm