DHS Weekly Update
Thursday, July 22, 2021
I am excited about welcoming our new staff and teachers next week for pre-planning! We are all getting ready to welcome the classes of 2022, 2023, 2024, and 2025! Our school building is getting new LED/Energy Efficient lights installed in classrooms and hallways, our band is having a mattress fundraiser this weekend (see below), and we are dusting off our pre-covid policies, procedures and practices. It is so wonderful to be planning for an in-person first day of school on August 3rd!
- Meet & Greet - Mark your calendars for the DHS Meet & Greet on July 30th from 2:00 - 4:00 PM. Due to the size, this is a student-only event. Students will be walking their exact schedules in order to get a sense of the building and classes. I will share the exact schedule for the event soon.
- Bookbags - Last year we allowed students to bring clear bags to their classes because we were not using lockers. This year, we are going back to our "no bags in classrooms" policy with one exception, they CAN bring clear bags into the classrooms. The wording in the school handbook will be:
- Book bag definition: Any bag that contains books/notebooks or is large enough to contain those items. One exception to this definition is a container designed specifically for a laptop (or other personal technology) that is only used to carry personal technology. Small opaque bags for storing personal items, such as purses and fanny packs are allowed.
- Students may carry any kind of book bag to school. Students can carry clear book bags during the school day. Opaque book bags must be stored in lockers and may not be transported around the school.
- DHS 101 Coffee Chats - One of our priorities for this year is to communicate what we are doing here at DHS with families more proactively. One initiative is to have monthly virtual coffee chats about a variety of school-based subjects: MTSS, the IB Diploma, IB Career, IB Middle Years Programs, grading, athletics, special education, counselors, and progress reports. This will be a 30-minute presentation followed by a live Q & A session with the presenter.
Please make sure you are able to log into the Infinite Campus Portal. We will be sharing, via the portal, draft student schedules around the 23rd.
- Go to : csdecatur.net/DHS
- "Families" Tab
- scroll down Click "Campus Portal"
- choose Campus Student or Campus Parent
- If you are in need of a Username or Password or logging in for the first time and need an "Activation Key" please email: firstname.lastname@example.org in the Counseling Department.
Principal, Decatur High School
School Leadership Team All Call
The Decatur High School Leadership Team (SLT) is an elected committee consisting of parents/guardians, DHS staff members, community members and other personnel. All CSD schools have an SLT, formed as part of our System Charter, renewed by the state in 2014. Some of the responsibilities of this team are:
School Improvement Plan (SIP): Develop, approve and monitor the continuous school improvement planning process
Determine the allocation of the school’s instructional and technology budget
Review student achievement data
Recommend and support school needs to the CSD Board of Education during the annual budget process
Help with the interview process of potential Decatur High School employees
Monthly evening meetings
Current members of the Decatur High SLT are:
Elected Parents: Rich Malerba, Kia Jackson-Issa, Elliott Robinson, and Amy Marti
Staff Members: Cherith Johnson and Sean DeWeese
Principal: Rochelle Lofstrand
CSD Central Office: Eston Melton, Executive Director of Technology
DHS has two parent 2-year terms and one teacher 2-year term expiring this year. If you are interested in serving DHS as an SLT member or returning as a member, please submit your name, a paragraph with a biographical statement and a paragraph stating why you want to be on the SLT, to Rochelle Lofstrand at email@example.com. Deadline for submission is Friday, August 20th. We will eBlast candidate statements in our newsletter.
SLT elections will occur virtually and will be communicated after August 20th.
1st Annual Band Mattress Fundraiser!
Please join us for our First Annual Band Mattress Sale at Decatur HS on Saturday, July 24 in the Cafeteria! There will be over 25 beds on display for customers to try. The beds are new, brand name, made to order, available in all sizes, and cost less than retail stores. In addition to beds, there will also be weighted blankets, luxury pillows, sheets, and even adjustable power bases! COVID-19 precautions will be in place and social distancing will be observed.
If you have any questions, email Tyler Ehrlich at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated! - Class of 2022 Senior Photos
Class of 2022 Senior Photos
Are you ready to start your senior year? Have you taken your senior photo with our NEW photo company CADY yet? You must have your portrait taken by CADY to be in the senior section of the yearbook. You can go to one of their studios OR schedule an appointment for the August 27 road shoot at Decatur. Students who choose the latter option will be excused from class ten minutes before their scheduled time and be given a pass back to class. If you do not schedule a shoot at the high school, you must go to one of Cady's studios to get your picture taken for inclusion in the yearbook. The closest studio, The Atlanta Studio, opens up in August and is taking appointments now. The Atlanta studio is located at 2030 Powers Ferry Rd., Suite 520 Atlanta, Georgia 30339 (near the new Braves Stadium). You have until November 10 to get your photo taken for inclusion in the 2021-2022 yearbook. Please go to cady.com/schedule in order to schedule your time slot now.
Anyone who needs financial assistance for the sitting fee should reach out to Principal Lofstrand at email@example.com.
If you have any other questions please email the yearbook sponsor Ms. Lockhart at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get ready to smile! Underclassmen (9-11) photos will be Thursday, August 19 during advisement. More information to follow soon.
Anyone who needs financial assistance for the sitting fee should reach out to Principal Lofstrand, email@example.com.
If you have any other questions please email the yearbook sponsor Ms. Lockhart at
2021-2022 Parking Application
This email is in regard to parking at Decatur High School for the 2021-2022 school year. Parking tags will cost $50.00 (payment information to come) and will be given to students on a tiered system. Below are the following procedures for students wishing to park at DHS this school year:
- Parking passes will be given to students by the following tiers:
- 1st priority: Work-based learning, Dual Enrollment, and Ed Internship students
- 2nd priority: Seniors (who are not in work-based learning, dual enrollment or ed interns)
- 3rd priority: Juniors (who are not in work-based learning, dual enrollment or ed interns)
- Sophomores will likely not receive any parking spots but should apply in case there are available parking spots.
- Note: Once 1st priority students are given parking passes, Seniors will be drawn at random for the remaining passes. If there are passes after all Seniors receive a pass, Juniors that have submitted their paperwork will be drawn at random and notified.
- Students wishing to receive a parking pass must complete this Google Form and submit appropriate documents via the Google Form:
- A COPY of your License - specific labeling of the document is listed in the application
- A COPY of your Proof of Insurance - specific labeling of the document is listed in the application
- Students must be logged into their CSD accounts in order to fill out the form. Parents/Guardians cannot fill out the form.
***APPLICATIONS ARE DUE MONDAY, JULY 26th at 5:00 PM***
Students that receive a parking pass will be notified on July 27th of the next steps.
Please let me know if you have any questions!
Upcoming DHS 101 Event
Instructional Coach and IB Coordinator
Youth Softball Registration
Our DHS softball teams continue to prepare for their seasons this fall and our community youth leagues are starting up as well. If you have a young aspiring softball player, consider joining the Druid Hills Youth Softball league.
Decatur Bulldog Boosters (DBB) is building excitement about the upcoming school year and the return to normalcy by selling Bulldog Flags so that the entire Decatur community can show our spirit.
A Bulldog Flag costs $40 or is free if you become a DBB Sponsor (at any level) or purchase a Family Member (or above).
These are durable, outside flags that measure approx. 3’x 5’ and can be attached to a flag pole, hung in a window, or displayed on a wall. All proceeds go to support 1000 student-athletes on 45 teams representing 14 sports at Decatur High School and Renfroe Middle School.
Purchase your flag at DecaturSwag.com, or go to decaturbulldogboosters.org for more information on DBB memberships and sponsorships. Let's line our streets with these flags and show everyone what Bulldog Nation is made of!
Decatur Bulldog Online Tickets
This year, all tickets to Decatur Bulldog athletic events will be sold online. Visit GoFan.co and search “Decatur High School” to purchase your tickets prior to the contest. We’re looking forward to seeing you in the stands cheering on our Bulldogs!
Be Ready For Tryouts - Update Your DragonFly Profile
All students who participate in CSD athletic programs are required by the GHSA to have a completed and up-to-date Student-Athlete Medical Packet on file with the Decatur High School Athletic Department before they can participate in any sports activity.
See the information linked HERE about the DragonFlyMAX system and instructions for how to complete a medical profile for your student.
Varsity/Junior Varsity Cheer Squad Interest Meeting
Cheer coaches will hold an interest meeting for all interested in trying out for the 2021 - 2022 Varsity or JV Cheer Squad.
We will have a zoom meeting on Tuesday, July 27th at 6:00 pm.
Please email Coach Foy at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the zoom meeting link.
Below are the details of the SAT Prep class course starting Aug 21 - Sept 25, 2021.
Call us at 404-351-4955 if you have further questions.
Location: Decatur High School | 310 N McDonough St Decatur GA 30030
Dates: Aug 21, 28 Sept 4, 11, 18, 25 | 2021 for SAT Test October 2nd 2021
(6 sessions | 4 hrs each)
Schedule: Saturdays : 9 - 1 pm on each day (6 sessions | 4 hrs each)
Room: Inside New Library @ Decatur High School
Register Online for SAT Prep Class:
Textbook you need to buy:
Don't forget to register for the SAT Test! - http://sat.collegeboard.org/home
*Prep class fee is non-refundable after class starts, we do not offer partial refunds for class sessions a student misses. Any cancellation for refund of a prep class fee must occur 5 days before the start of that prep class, to allow for the seat to be offered to another student.