Tumbleweed Times Week 20
News from Ranch 25 - January 29, 2016
First Grade Happenings
In social studies we read about Chinese New Year, which will begin on February 8th of this year. It is the year of the monkey. We read that on New Year's Eve, people open doors and windows to let the old year out and the new year in. People also celebrate by having a special meal with their family, setting off firecrackers, and watching parades with dragon or lion dancers.
In math this week we finished our study of measurement by comparing the length of objects using the same measuring tool, and by comparing the same object using different measuring tools. It has been a fun two weeks of measuring. You can read more about this week's lessons at the following link: Math News: Grade 1, Module 3, Topic C.
Digital Dash - GO Baldwin's Bucking Broncos!!
- Students will wear a class shirt provided by our Room Moms.
- Make sure your child has applied sunscreen before school and has a hat available, if desired.
- Running or athletic shoes are a MUST!
- Bring a water bottle with your child's name on it.
- Siblings are not allowed for safety reasons.
Be sure to get your pledge sheets back to school by Monday, February 1st. You can also pledge online (preferred by the Foundation) at this link: Digital Dash 6.0. Volunteers will be needed to mark wristbands as students run by our table. If you are able to come, please contact a Room Mom or send an email to me (which I will be happy to forward).
Reports will be shared on Friday, February 12th.
Next Week's Curriculum Focus
4.2 Reading Theme: Family Teams
Essential Question: Who are the main characters in the story, and where does the story take place ? (This is a good question to ask when reading with your child.)
Comprehension Skill: Character and Setting
High Frequency Words: give, says, about, were, pretty, write
Phonemic Awareness: Long vowel "e" spelled e, ea, and ee
Vocabulary Words: concerned, fortunate, member, share, trust, concentrate, splendid
Spelling Words and Dictation Sentences:
give, says, about, were, pretty, write, feed, keep speed, seat, beak, she
We keep our class nice and neat!
He meets me under the green tree.
Writing Genre: Informative
Math: Ordering and Comparing Length Measurements as Numbers
Social Studies: Winter Holidays and Traditions
Science: Plant and Animal Parts and Survival
- The Great Kindness Challenge - January 22-29
- K-1st Family Science Night - Wednesday, February 3, 5:30-6:30 PM (no younger or older siblings)
- Digital Dash - Friday, February 5, 9:45-10:15 AM
- Monthly Assembly - Friday, February 12, 8:35 AM
- President Reports Due - Friday, February 12
- Valentine Exchange - Friday, February 12
- No School - February 15-19, President's Week
- Box Tops Due - February 26