Countdown to ELAR STAAR
Planning for Authentic & Rigorous Practice
Games are a great research-based strategy that engages learners in meaningful review and practice for all of the ELAR TEKS. During this seminar, experience and create games that target specific reading and writing skills and strategies. Discover how to incorporate game formats into daily instruction to practice the STAAR readiness and supporting standards. You will leave with games ready to ignite learning excitement and provide fun in your classroom.
- The 4 C's of STAAR Reading
- Instructional Strategies that Keep Students Thinking Positively about the Test
- Figure 19-The Meta-Cognition Strategies
- Research-Based Strategies for Guided and Independent Practice
- Powerful Digital Resources & Tools for Engaging Students in Rigorous Practice
- Differentiated Activities for Targeting Instructional Practice for Readiness and Supporting Standards
- Interventions Activities for Struggling Students
- Reading Responses with Rigor
- Goal Setting and Self-Assessments Strategies to keep your Students on track
- Reciprocal Teaching
- Questioning Strategies
- Using Data to Plan Instruction that Works
- Research-Based Writing Strategies
- Genre Tips and Tricks
- Understanding Non-Formulaic Writing
- Revision Strategies that Make the Most Difference
- Grammar Instruction Tools
- Games that Review and Provide Just-Right Practice
- Activities for Increasing Writing Quality
- Meaningful Testing Strategies
- Ideas for Creating STAAR Camps and Practice During the Days Right Before the Test
Meet The Presenter
Kelly Harmon is a national presenter & author who has more than 24 years of experience working with at-risk students. She presents on a wide range of topics including RTI, technology, reading, writing, and strategies for highly effective teachers. Ms. Harmon works as an instructional coach for schools and districts across the United States. In addition to consulting, she also works with the Bureau of Education and Research, as well as Learning Sciences Marzano Center.
Countdown to STAAR Workshop for ELAR
Monday, March 7th, 8:30am
19280 Redland Road
San Antonio, TX
The location is the Holiday Inn Stone Oak off of 281 North.
Registration Begins at 8:00am
Morning Session: 8:30am-11:30am
Lunch on your own
Afternoon Session: 12:30pm-3:30pm
Wifi is provided
We encourage you to bring an iPad or laptop.
6 Hours of Professional Development
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
$195 per participant
Principals attend for FREE with registration of 3 or more teachers!
10% discount for groups booking 3 or more! ($175 oer person)
You can register by faxing, Calling, or Emailing your registration form in.
Purchase Orders are accepted.
Please Make Checks or Purchase Orders out to Kelly Harmon & Associates.
Call (817) 583-1290
Fax (972) 369-7327
For more Information Please contact us!
Check Out Kelly Harmon's Book!!!
Kelly Harmon & Robert Marzano teamed up to write Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes. The book is part of the Essentials for Achieving Rigor Series.
Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes: Classroom Techniques to Help Students Develop Proficiency explores explicit techniques for mastering this crucial strategy of instructional practice. It includes:
- Explicit steps for implementation
- Recommendations for monitoring students’ ability to develop fluent thinking
- Adaptations for students who struggle, have special needs, or excel in learning
- Examples and non-examples from classroom practice
- Common mistakes and ways to avoid them