Our Town Happenings Week #29
Reagan Elementary :: Leander Independent School District
Week of April 11 - 15, 2016
WELCOME TO 4TH GRADE!
Weekly newsletters may also be found archived on our class website under the "Weekly Newsletters" page. Questions and/or comments? Please let us know!
Karen & Stephanie
WHAT ARE WE LEARNING THIS WEEK?
- continue persuasive writing unit: Shark Tank
- Sam Houston & the New Republic
- area & perimeter
- fact & opinion
- Sitton List 25 Core Words - snow, rain, suddenly, easy, leaves
- for extended list, see below
- life cycle of a seed
- plant adaptations & observations
OUR CURRENT WEEK
- Purple Specials Day (Beasley/Library, LaCombe/PE)
- Famous Texan research choice sheets sent home
- Red Specials Day (Beasley/ PE, LaCombe/ Art)
- Orange Specials Day (Beasley/Art, LaCombe/PE)
- report cards sent home for students who don't receive them electronically
- Yellow Specials Day (Beasley/PE, LaCombe/Art)
- Sitton Spell Check - List 25
- deadline for Famous Texan choice sheets to be returned to school
- 4th grade Field Trip to Twin Lakes YMCA
- Reading Log: 100 minutes (in Google Classroom account); due Sunday 4/17
- NO READING PASSAGE THIS WEEK
- worksheet (handed out in class on Monday 4/11, due 4/18)
- Spell Check 25 on THURSDAY, April 14th due to field trip
- Science Vocab Quiz #1 on Tuesday, 4/19 - vocab cards were made in class last week, or words may be reviewed online using the link below
FIELD TRIP REMINDERS - THIS FRIDAY, APRIL 15th!
If your child is bringing his/her lunch this Friday for our field trip, please send it in a gallon size Ziploc style bag with your child's name labeled clearly on the outside. We will transport lunches to the fieldtrip site in coolers with ice.
Lunch orders for students who are planning on purchasing a sack lunch from our Reagan Cafeteria were due last week, so if you did not already order a school sack lunch for your child, s/he must bring their lunch.
SUN SCREEN / SWEATSHIRTS
CHECK POLICY FOR LUNCH PAYMENTS
FAMOUS TEXAN RESEARCH PROJECT
IT'S RESEARCH TIME!!
Fourth grade has a culminating research project in where each student selects a famous Texan to research. As part of this project, students will:
- RESEARCH: Students will research the person's life, accomplishments, and positive impact this person has had on Texas history and build a Google Presentation about this person. The majority of this will be done at school.
- CREATE: Students will create a poster highlighting the person's life. This is completed at home; we will provide poster board (see details below).
- PERFORM: Students will prepare a brief (60 second) summation of the person's life that they perform as part of our annual Texas Living History Museum on Friday, May 27th. On Museum Day, students dress as their famous Texan and perform for our museum "guests" (the other grades in the school). It's an exciting day for students and one they typically enjoy.
This Monday, your child will be coming home with a choice sheet where they will select THREE possible famous Texans they are interested in researching. Selection sheets are due back to school no later than Thursday, April 14th, however, they may be returned to school anytime this week. Research assignments will be made on a first come, first served basis, so please get your selection sheet turned in ASAP. Sheets MUST be signed off by a parent indicating that you approve of your child's selections.
For more detailed information, including project deadlines, please see the link below. You will also find this information on our class website.
UPCOMING DATES - UPDATED THROUGH THE END OF THE YEAR!!
- Friday 4/1 - End of the 3rd 9 weeks
- Friday 4/1 - First Fun Friday in 4th Grade - Illuminocity Atrocity - Dress in BRIGHT colors!
- Monday 4/4 - Stephanie Beasley's 29th birthday
- Wednesday 4/6 - report cards sent home
- Friday 4/15 - Field Trip to Twin Lakes YMCA
- Friday 4/22 - Earth Day
- Monday 4/25 - Bad Weather Make-Up Day (holidays unless the assigned day is needed due to bad weather, which will be communicated in advance)
- Wednesday 5/4 - progress reports sent home ONLY for students with a grade >70% in any subject
- Friday 5/6 - Fun First Friday in 4th Grade - Dress like a STAR! (music, sport, TV - school dress code compliant, please :)
- Monday 5/9 - 3rd & 4th Grade STAAR Math Test - please avoid scheduling travel or appointments on STAAR test days if at all possible!
- Tuesday 5/10 - 3rd & 4th Grade STAAR Reading Test - please avoid scheduling travel or appointments on STAAR test days if at all possible!
- Monday 5/24 - Bad Weather Make-Up Day (holidays unless the assigned day is needed due to bad weather, which will be communicated in advance)
- Friday 5/27 - Famous Texan Living Museum - performance times TBD
- Monday 5/30 - NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day
- 4th 9 weeks - report cards sent home
- Last Day of School - Have a GREAT summer!
HELPFUL LINKS FOR PARENTS
CURIOUS AS TO WHAT WE DO ALL DAY?
Weekly memos will be sent via email as well. If your address changes, please let us know so we can keep our records current.