This Week at École OLPH School
October 7 to 11
Our Mission Statements
We are a Catholic community committed to developing educational opportunities int he context of Gospel values, where students' gifts and talents are celebrated and nurtured through lifelong spiritual and personal experiences.
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic School
Our Lady of Perpetual Help school is committed to quality education in both official languages fostering in our students respect for life and learning as Christ taught us.
The end of October marks the time we call Halloween. Our students tend to have an afternoon where they dress in costumes and have a lot of fun. In light of world events in the last few years we find that the concept of war and terrorism is much more predominant than it was in the past.
As parents, you may soon be purchasing or creating costumes for this event; however, as a school, we would ask that the children do not come in costumes that represent violence or war and also ask that they do not bring props that represent weapons of any sort.
A Reading From The Gospel for Sunday, October 6, 2019
The apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith!" The Lord replied, "if you had faith the size of a mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, "Be uprooted and planted int he sea," and it would obey you.
Who among you would say to your slave who has just come in from plowing or tending sheep in the field, "Come here at once and take your place at the table"? Would you not rather say to him, "Prepare supper for me, put on your apron and serve me while I eat and drink; later you may eat and drink"?
Do you thank the slave for doing what was commanded? So you also, when you have done all that you were ordered to do, say, "We are worthless slaves; we have done only what we ought to have done!"
The Gospel of the Lord.
Weekly Events at École OLPH
- Coats & Shoes for Kids & Families ~ More information below
- Girls Junior High Volleyball Practice ~ Blue Team ~ 7:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
- OLPH Linking Generations Training for Students (Mandatory) ~ 9:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Boys Junior High Volleyball Practice ~ Blue & White teams ~ 3:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday, October 8
- Girls Junior High Volleyball Game ~ White Team Vs. St. Theresa at OLPH Gym ~ 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Girls Junior High Volleyball Game ~ Blue Team Vs. St. Theresa at OLPH Gym ~ 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Boys Junior High Volleyball Game ~ Blue Team Vs. St. Theresa at St. Theresa ~ 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Wednesday, October 9
- Turkey Hunt ~ Morning Recess
- Girls Junior High Volleyball Practice ~ White Team ~ 7:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
- Boys Junior High Volleyball Practice ~ Blue Team ~ 3:15 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Thursday, October 10
- Girls Junior High Volleyball Practice ~ Blue Team ~ 7:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
- Grade 8 ~ Birch Bay Ranch Retreat ~ All Day
- Girls Junior High Volleyball Game ~ Blue Team Vs. St. Theresa at St. Theresa ~ 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Boys Junior High Volleyball Game ~ Blue Team at École OLPH ~ 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Friday, October 11
- PD Day ~ No School
Important Dates to Remember!!!
October 14, 2019
- Happy Thanksgiving ~ No School
October 16, 2019
- Linking Generations ~ Cloverbar ~ First Visit
October 17, 2019
- Peer Partners ~ 12:00 p.m. 1:30 p.m.
- Grade 5J ~ Wastewater to Wetlands Presentation ~ 1:00 p.m. to 2:15 p.m.
October 18, 2019
- Grade 5G ~ Wastewater to Wetlands Presentation ~ 1:00 p.m. to 2:15 p.m.
- Junior High Ardrossan & Haythorne Volleyball Tournament ~ All Day
October 19, 2019
- Junior High Ardrossan & F. R. Haythorne Volleyball Tournament ~ All Day
October 22, 2019
- WE Day
October 23, 2019
- Linking Generations ~ Summerwood ~ First Visit ~ 11:50 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
October 24, 2019
- French Immersion Mass with ABJ, EPK & OLPH at OLPH Parish ~ 9:30 a.m.to 11:30 a.m.
October 25, 2019
- School Picture Retake Day ~ 9:00 a.m. to 12:04 p.m.
- Junior High ~ Lakeland Ridge Volleyball Tournament ~ All Day
- Grade 5/6 Volleyball Tournament ~ 4:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
October 26, 2019
- Junior High ~ Lakeland Ridge Volleyball Tournament ~ All Day
October 30, 2019
- Linking Generations ~ Summerwood ~ 11:50 a.m. to 1:32 p.m.
- Linking Generations ~ Cloverbar ~ 12:25 p.m. to 1:32 p.m.
October 31, 2019
- Halloween ~ Details to follow
Caught Doing Good!!!
Each week, all students will be given a challenge of getting "Caught Doing Good".
When a student is "Caught Doing Good," they will be given a coupon upon which they will write their name and enter it into a draw. Twice a month, a draw will be made out of all the coupons received in the office for a wonderful prize.
Congratulations to the following winners
Who Were Caught Doing Good!!!
Gabriela Bosch ~ 7S
William Klinck ~ 7G
Merci beaucoup / Thank you very much to all the students who worked hard to receive coupons for doing the right things!
Lunch Hour Changes!
In order to allow more space on fields and to proactively prevent negative student altercations, we are going to try a new system.
For grade 7 & 8, nothing changes. The students will eat first and then go outside for recess.
However, for the students in grades 5 & 6, the lunch schedule will be flipped. The students will immediately go go outside to play at 12:04 p.m. and come inside to eat their lunch at 12:25 p.m.
Hopefully this will lead a more pleasant outdoor experience for all.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact M. Morin at email@example.com
Félicitations / Congratulations!!!
Félicitations to Katy Kirchen won 1st place for artwork that she submitted to the Our Lady of the Angels Regional Council Franciscan Fine Arts Contest. The contest spanned the regional fraternity, from B.C. to Manitoba.
She did the work last spring at OLPH school and received the award at OLPH church.
Social Justice Initiatives
As part of Ecole OLPH's social justice initiatives, the Leadership Team is combing forces with two other organizations to assist those in need.
As part of Strathcona County's "Reduce Your Footprint" campaign, (see poster below) we will be collecting any unwanted shoes in any condition from now until October. 28, 2019.
If your child brings in any pairs of shoes, please make sure they collect a "donation ticket" from either Mme Winland or Mme McRobert in the school office or a leadership team memeber. One donation ticket per pair of shoes will be given to the student. A draw on November 2 will be made for a prize.
In collaboration with Coats for Kids and Families, we will be a drop off location for any new or used winter wear (Coats, toques, mitts, etc.) from now until November 1, 2019. These winter items will be dry cleaned thanks to Page the Cleaner and distributed throughout our communities.
Thank you for your efforts to help both our community and our environment.
School Picture Retake Day
Lifetouch School Picture Retake Day is Friday, October 25, 2019, in the morning.
If your child requires a retake, please send them to school on the above mentioned date with their Lifetouch Proof Portrait Sheet.
Should your child not have this sheet but still requires a retake, please send them to school on Friday, October 25, 2019 and have them get their picture retaken.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Mme. Winland at the office at 780-467-5631.
It's Jersey Day!!!
Jersey Day was a great success! Thanks to all the students and staff who participated. It was great to see such a variety of “best” teams ever!
Félicitations / Congratulations to the class of 7T who had the greatest percentage of participation on Jersey Day with 81%.
Special thanks to Bradley, Kya , Abby and Mme Gagnon who so graciously volunteered their time to pop and package all the popcorn!
École OLPH ~ Nut Aware School
École OLPH is a Nut Aware School.
With the increase of students with serious allergies in our school, we are attempting to create a “Nut-Aware” environment.
We request that you refrain from sending peanut-butter sandwiches, cookies & treats that contain nuts and any nut-based snacks.
Every child’s health & safety are important to us and we appreciate your active concern and response to this request.
Terry Fox School Run
Thank you so much for your support with the 2019 Terry Fox Fundraiser! To date, we have raised just over $2000 for the Terry Fox Foundation. This means that the students have reached all 4 of their fundraising goals! This past week, students enjoyed the freedom of wearing their hats indoors all week.
Next week, they will enjoy 5 extra minutes of morning recess, and finally, on Halloween, we get to see M. St. Jean taped to the wall!
If you would still like to make a donation, we are accepting them online and in the office until Thursday, October 10, 2019.
Thank you for your support with this important fundraiser!
BusPlanner Delays App
Do you ever wonder if your child's bus is cancelled due to cold weather or mechanical difficulties? Well, wonder no more!!!
If your child is taking a bus with EICS instructions are attached on how to set up BusPlanner.
BusPlanner will be used to communicate with parents when the transportation department needs to send out messages.
Cancelled or delayed busing notifications will be sent out through BusPlanner, we will not be using Synervoice in the future.
You can set up BusPlanner to receive messages by email or text or landline.
Please set up the BusPlanner through the web first, as this will give you the route number that is required for the BusPlanner App.
You can locate your child's 9 digit Alberta Student Number on powerschool.
Take a moment and download the new BusPlanner Delays App. (more details below)
School Council Corner
Thank you to all the parents who came to our first School Council meeting on September 25. We are still looking for class reps for 6L, 6S, 7A, 7M and 8T. Please let your teacher know if you can be a class rep or email firstname.lastname@example.org
We have updated our operating procedures and will upload them to the website shortly.
Please join us for our next School Council meeting is on Thursday, October 24, 2019.
- Christmas Purdy's Fundraiser: Planning to get some sweet treats for friends, family, stockings or hosting? Order with us through https://fundraising.purdys.com/1022714-67684 Pick up will be December 4th at the school.
- Break a Rule Day! Encourage your kids to put aside some fun money to participate in Break a Rule Day on Friday, November 8th. More details to follow soon.
- Cobs Bread on Wye Rd. - just mention our school and 5% of your purchase comes back to us!
- FundScrip - in the market for gift cards? go too www.fundscrip.com, click on support your group and enter our invite code: PETQYC. October's promos include Red Robins and Shell. Paper copies will be sent home this month should you prefer. The deadline for ordering is the last day of each month, with delivery at the end of the following week. Pick up will be in the school foyer from School Council, more details to follow.
Proceeds from our fundraisers go to support the many events, special celebrations and support for our athletics, academics and staff in various ways throughout the year.
Thank you for your support. Keep connected by following us on Facebook and Instagram @olphschoolcouncil
École OLPH Canteen
The canteen will open next Thursday, October 10th at lunch. Each item on the cart will sell for a dollar. Please bring small change only.
On hot lunch days there are times when vendors send extra food. If this is the case your child would be more than welcome to purchase any extra items.
Pam and Shaness
From the Library
Here at École OLPH we have a wonderful program from our school Library that every student can use and it`s FREE!!!
Click on the following link https://ccssaca.libraryreserve.com/10/45/en/SignIn.htm?url=Default.htm, choose our school (École Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic School), and download something to read or listen to. All students will be able to download three books or audio books at one time.
The student login name and password are exactly the same as what each student uses to sign in to their chrome books at school.
If you need any help, please see Mme Heather in the École OLPH library on Mondays or Wednesdays at lunch recess.
Yearly Permission Required!!!
Please take a moment and log into your PowerSchool account to acknowledge the following documents:
- Responsible Use of Technology Agreement
- EICS One to One Usage Agreement
- EICS Low Risk Field Trip Annual Consent Form
- Locker Use Agreement
How to Complete Forms
- Go to https://powerschool.eics.ab.ca
- Log in
- Click on Yearly Consent
- Select your answer from the drop down menu.
- Click Submit for each section.
- Be sure to complete all three sections for each child you have enrolled in the school.
Please Note: Prior to participating in any field trips, your child's form needs to be acknowledge by you. Without your consent they will be required to stay at the school during their field trips.
We appreciate your support in completing these forms by September 7, 2018.
Thanks in advance for helping us get this year off to a great start!!!
School Fees & Fee Waiver Program
Please be advised that all school fees will be posted on your child’s PowerSchool account by Wednesday, September 25, 2019.
Once fees are posted, you will be able to make payments on-line or by cheque at the school office. All cheques must be made payable to EICS. We would, however, like to encourage you to pay your school fees on-line.
In addition, you may divide your payments either on-line or by postdated cheques.
If you require any assistance with these fees, the Division offers a "Fee Waiver Program". More information can be found at
End of Day Procedures
Please make sure that you child(ren) know if they are to take the bus or if they are getting picked up at the end of the day.
Should a student need to confirm their end of day plans, we ask that all students make their arrangements during the morning recess (10:19 a.m. - 10:34 a.m.) or during the lunch hour (12:04 p.m. - 12:47 p.m.).
This will reduce the confusion and rush at the end of the day and will also ensure that your child(ren) does not miss the bus.
If a student comes to the office at the end of the day and are unsure how they are getting home, we will be sending them home on the bus.
OLPH - Junior High Permission Form to Leave School Grounds
A reminder to all Grade 7 & 8 parents:
Grade 7 & 8 OLPH students have the privilege to leave school grounds during lunch recess.
Every time you would like your child to have this privilege, please complete the form below and hand it to the office for the day they would like to leave school grounds. Text messages and emails will not be accepted.
For next week, extra forms will be located in the school office. As of September 10th, the permission forms will only be available on our school website under the parents tab.
OLPH Parish Bulletin - Week of October 6, 2019
Please click on the link below for the OLPH Parish Bulletin for Sunday, October 6, 2019.