St Pius X Youth E-Date
December 5, 2019
Table of Contents
- NEW! Read the readings for the Second Sunday of Advent
- NEW! Advent Resources
- NEW! SPX CYO Basketball Season begins this Saturday/Sunday!
- Service Opportunity: SWEM Basket Ministry - DRIVERS especially needed Dec 8
- NEW! Sunday Youth Nite Dec 8th - The COMMANDMENTS
- Service Opportunity: Giving Tree Info
- Photos from NCYC 2019
- NEW! NCYC Thank You Party Dec 15
- CYO Sports Medicine for the Soul- Values, We Teach It!
- Sign Up Genius Link for Parents Volunteering with Youth Events and Retreats
- PDF of Sunday Youth Nite Schedule
3. CYO Basketball Season Opens This Weekend!
We have Our St Pius Tenth Eagles will be playing their first games this weekend at both St Pius X gym & St Jude’s gym! This year St Pius Tenth has 16 basketball teams - We have 180 players, 152 families, 16 teams, 6 Head Coaches and over 35 Assistant Coaches, 16 Team Parents and innumerable scorekeepers, time keepers, and just all around good folks who help out whenever asked.
Good luck to all of our athletes and THANK YOU to all of our Coaches, Assistant Coaches, Team Parents, Scorekeepers, Time Keepers and sooo many others who make our games possible!
As you attend games at St Pius this weekend please remember that it’s a huge help for our Admissions Table if you bring SINGLES when you come into the game.
Reminder – all scorekeepers, time keepers & team parents need to undergo the Diocesan Safe Environment Training & Background Check. Please contact me email@example.com if you’d like to help your team in any of these roles.
Did you know…
CYO Athletics is part of the diocesan Department of Evangelization and Catechesis and part of Youth Ministry outreach. There is an obvious component of evangelization in CYO Athletics; an opportunity to strengthen the connection of baptized Catholics to their Church and an opportunity to be a witness of what a Catholic Christian believes and lives to those who are not Catholic. For these reasons we enforce the following principles:
- CYO Athletics are built on mutual respect
- CYO Athletics celebrate the dignity of each individual person
- CYO Athletics encourage the unique gifts of each participant
- Principles of fair play and sportsmanship govern all games, practices and scrimmages
- Participants, both youth and adult, model Christian values and virtues
- CYO Athletics allows the gifted to excel, and the less gifted to participate and improve
- Playing is more important than winning
- Winning well is more important than winning
2019-2020 St Pius CYO Basketball Teams
Please keep all of our athletes and Coaches in your prayers this season!
3/4 Boys Healey
3/4 Boys Mersich
3/4 Boys Shaw
5/6 Boys Amesbury/Caruso
5/6 Boys Amesbury/Caruso
5/6 Boys Lindsay
5/6 Boys O'Brocta
7/8 Boys Rule
7/8 Boys Falk
JV Boys Firnstein/Reifsteck
JV Boys Firnstein/Reifsteck
Varsity Men Emhof
5/6 Girls Briggs
5/6 Girls Amesbury
7/8 Girls Sherron
4. SWEM Christmas Food Baskets
It's not too late!
Social Ministry Committee will be accepting and then delivering Christmas food baskets to SWEM (Southwest Ecumenical Ministry) again this year.
To get the list of items needed please see the attachment below.
All baskets can be dropped off next to the food pantry cupboards at Masses December 7th and December 8th. Please do not return your basket before December 7th. Volunteers will deliver the baskets to SWEM.
We were very short on DRIVERS last year. Could you spare an hour to help on December 8th? Please email Barb if you are able to help with this!
Again, thank you for your continued generous support of this ministry.
5. Sunday Youth Nite December 8th The Commandments
6. Christmas Giving Tree
CHRISTMAS GIVING TREE - Great FAMILY or CYO TEAM Service Project!
Our parish Christmas Giving Tree is up and decorated! We started with over 500 tags on the tree this year. The color and shape of the gift tag identifies the agency.
The organizations and tags (color, shape) are:
- Catholic Charities Community Services (red churches),
- Family Services of Rochester (pink stockings),
- Foster Grandparents Program (yellow snowman),
- Monroe Community Hospital (white angels),
- Coldwater Rd. Women/Children Residential Home (brown gingerbread man),
- Hope Hall (green trees), and
- St. Mary’s Adult Day Care Program (purple bells).
This list will also be posted next to the Giving Tree.
Each tag will have a list of 3 suggested items to purchase. Only one gift needs to be purchased. (However, you may take as many tags as you wish).
Please wrap the gift, securely attach the tag, and return the gift to the giving tree. (Please put any gift cards into a box before wrapping).
All gifts must be returned by Sunday, December 15th, as the agencies will be picking them up.
Thank you again for your continued generosity and support for our Christmas Giving. All of the agencies involved are extremely grateful for your help
7. NCYC 2019
NCYC 2019 was an outpouring of joy in the hearts of our Pilgrims!
To see a photo gallery please visit the NCYC page on the St Pius Tenth website:
7. NCYC Thank You Party for Stockholders and All
Thank You NCYC Patrons!
Our brokenness was blessed and now we are ready to give back to you, our faithful friends! If you were a StockHolder or if you’re interested in NCYC 2021 please join us for a party AFTER each Mass on Sunday, December 15th in the Matthew & Mark in the Parish Center.
6. SPX CYO - Sports Medicine for the Soul: Character We Teach It
This year we’re excited to bring back a program designed to be used from a systems approach for our sports teams. It is a simple and systematic guide with 5 minute scripted discussions. Every 2 weeks our coaches will focus on a scripture verse and related character trait. Everyone hears and teaches the same valuable lesson...This is your opportunity to cultivate character traits such as respect, integrity, character, confidence, mental strength, healthy choices...and more.
We see Coaches as "Facilitators of Faith" Athletics provide our youth a positive environment in which to grow physically, emotionally, socially, and spiritually. The responsibility of fostering an environment in which athletes can mature in these areas often rests with the coach. Coaches are presented a unique opportunity to use the playing field as a mission field—to be a "Facilitator of Faith" in developing and furthering athletes’ Christian character and values.
Find out More https://sportsmedicineforthesoul.com/
Join us for Christmas Caroling!
Please note change in date & time: Tuesday, December 17th from 7:00-8:30 pm.
Snacks afterwards 8:00-8:30 pm
Teens & parishioners will gather at the Parish Center. We will walk the Saddleback Trail/PineKnoll loop just behind the school off Chestnut Rd.
Those who would like to may stay for cocoa and treats till 8:30 pm. Please register at saintpiustenth.org/register or by emailing Barb at firstname.lastname@example.org, so that we have adequate chaperones.
Friends and family are welcome to join us but they must also pre-register.
Any young person who is not with a parent needs the permission slip - contact Barb for info.
St Pius Tenth Christmas Mass Schedule
St Pius Tenth
Christmas Mass Schedule
Tuesday, December 24
Wednesday, December 25