Mrs. Wagler's Class Newsletter
August 8-12, 2016
- We worked on short vowel sounds and learned ways to practice our spelling words and skills at school. We also took our first spelling test - look for this to come home today!
- We read Henry & Mudge and used retelling bracelets to help us talk about stories we read. We also took our first comprehension test. It was a practice for us, just like our reading homework this week. We did it together! Check your child's folder to see what to expect for next week's test.
- We worked on our stamina during independent reading - our record is 11 minutes, and our goal is to work towards 20! We know we can do it.
- Each student is also completing an interview with Mrs. Wagler, so she gets to know them as readers.
- We also visited the library this week. Second graders check our 5 books - 2 everybody books, 2 nonfiction book, and 1 chapter book (beginning chapter, if applicable). They may take one library book home at a time. The rest should stay at school for reading material during reader's workshop. Books are due next Friday morning!
We used Owl Moon and The Leaving Morning to study expert authors. We wrote books about special moments in our lives, and many of us even sat in the author's chair to share! We're working on our writing stamina in writing, too. Have your child tell you about our Idea File we started.
- We visited the Computer Lab this week to use Front Row. You can use this fun tool at home as well. Visit https://www.frontrowed.com and log in with your child's first and last name. Our class code is: waglex
- We worked on number sense with number lines and the number line squeeze game. We practiced counting coins, completed a calendar, and worked on telling time. Math with a partner expectations were introduced as we played fact fluency games. Remember to study your math facts at home (this can be done on Front Row!)
Current Class Read Aloud: Ready, Freddy! Homework Hassles
Important Dates to Remember
Specials Schedule for the week of Aug 15:
M: Computer Lab
F: Computer Lab & Library