MGMS Family Mustang Memo
Parent/Guardian Newsletter May 1-15
In This Issue....
- Calendar of Upcoming Events
- Virtual Conferences - May 4
- Teacher Appreciation Week
- Game/Movie Night is Cancelled
- Recap of Beauty and the Beast
- Bus Safety Poster Winner
- Asian American & Pacific Islander Heritage Month
- Volunteer Column
- Incoming 6th Grade Open House
- Lost & Found
- The Closet
- Absences & Appointments - What To Do
- Moving or Attending Another School
- Who to Contact
- May 2 & 3 - 8th Grade - "Tell Me About It" - Career Exploration
- May 3 - 6th Grade Orchestra Concert - 6pm
- May 3 - 7th Grade Orchestra Concert - 7:15pm
- May 4 - AVID Field Trip 9:30-2:00
- MAY 4 - VIRTUAL PARENT & TEACHER CONFERENCES - 3:30-7:00pm
- May 5 - Game Night CANCELLED
- MAY 8-12 - TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK
- May 9 & 10 - 7th Grade - "Tell Me About It" - Career Exploration
- May 10-14 - 8th Grade Band Trip to Chicago
- May 15 - PACT Meeting Online 7-8:30
A LOOK AHEAD
- May 16 - 8th Grade Choir & Orchestra Concerts - 6:30pm
- May 17 - 7th Grade Band Concert - 6:30pm & 8th Grade Band Concert - 8:00pm
- May 18 - 6th Grade Band Concerts - 6:00 & 7:15pm
- May 23 - Incoming 6th Grade Open House - 6:00-7:30pm
- May 29 - NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day
- June 1 - 6th Grade Choir Concert - 6:00pm & 7th Grade Choir Concert -7:30pm
- June 5-8 - School Spirit Week
- June 5 - Chromebook Collection Day
- June 8 - LAST DAY OF SCHOOL - Have a Great Summer
May 4 is the Final Parent/Teacher Conference
The final parent/teacher conference will be held on May 4 from 3:30-7pm and will be VIRTUAL ONLY.
Families are asked to choose 1-3 teachers to conference with. They are 5 minute conferences. Families will be able to schedule the virtual conferences through ParentVue from April 27-May 2.
Click below for more information.
Calling all Families to help CELEBRATE & SUPPORT our amazing teachers and staff at Maple Grove Middle School! PACT plans to APPRECIATE them throughout Teacher Appreciation week (5/8-12) with Snacks, Beverages, Pastries (The Fox & Pantry) & Lunch (Jersey Mikes), but we need your generous donations to make this happen! Please donate to our PACT Venmo @MGMS-PACT-3, PayPal: email@example.com or sign up via our sign-up genius: Sign Up Genius Donations to bring treats to the school by Friday, May 5th. As an alternative to or in addition to financial and physical donations, please consider encouraging your student to write a note of appreciation to their teacher or a staff member!
We also plan to provide boxed dinners (Cafe Zupas) for our amazing teachers for conference night on May 4th. Donations can also be made to PACT Venmo @MGMS-PACT-3 or PayPal: firstname.lastname@example.org to support these conference dinners. Thank you for your generous support of our MGMS teachers & staff!
Game Night/Movie Night is Cancelled
Dear MGMS Families,
Unfortunately, we were unable to secure volunteers to plan and run the game night that was scheduled for Friday, May 5th. Therefore we have to cancel the event. We will work to find volunteers for next year that can support these very important community events for our students and families. If you are interested in getting involved, please join us for our PACT meetings which are held once a month throughout the school year.
Our last PACT meeting for this school year will be on Monday, May 15th at 7pm. Join us via Google Meet by clicking the link below:
Beauty and the Beast Recap
Maple Grove Middle School performed Beauty and the Beast Jr. last month. There were 70 students in the cast and crew that worked very hard to put on four incredible performances. Thanks to Josee Axberg, the director and Terra Favilla the music director for their vison, dedication, and leadership to oversee this production. Thank you also to the caregivers, high school volunteers, and others who helped make this show possible.
In January, information was published asking students to create a bus safety poster with the theme "Safely Rolling To My Destination." The transportation department awarded a first, second, and third place winner for each grade. We are excited to announce McKenna Ueland, grade 6, was the first place winner in her grade. Her poster will now go on to the state competition. She is pictured below with Nick Martini, Coordinator of Transportation and Debbie Schmoyer, Field Safety. Congratulations McKenna!
Asian American & Pacific Islander Heritage Month
May is Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage month. Please click below to see some amazing people and their accomplishments.
Volunteer Coordinator's Column
PACT (Parents and Community Together) What is PACT? Parents/guardians & staff who are working to ensure that MGMS is a great place for students and their families!! Please join us for the PACT meeting on Monday, May 15, 7- 8:30pm. This meeting is online. Please use the link below to login. Use the link to log into the meeting: https://mgms.district279.org/families/pact
The weekly “Friday Emails” will give you a glimpse into what parent volunteer needs we have for the upcoming week. If you don’t see something that interests you, let me know and I will make sure to find something that works for you! If you know of other parents who would like to receive these emails and be included on the happenings in the hallways of MGMS, please have them email me email@example.com to be added to next week’s emails.
**Please reply to me if you wish to be removed and/or do not have students at MGMs.
The Tipline is Replaced with STOPit - A New Platform for Reporting
Incoming 6th Grade Orientation
We are having an open house for incoming 6th grade students and their parents/guardians on Tuesday, May 23 from 6-7:30. "Hometown Pizza" will have their food truck here if you would like to have dinner. There will be a short presentation by Patrick Smith, Principal from 6:30-7:00. You are welcome to come with your student and walk around the school and get any questions answered. Also, we are having another orientation in August. There will be small group activities for your student, a tour and time to answer questions. Students will get dropped off at 9am and parents/guardians are invited back at 11am. Below are the dates for this event.
- If your student’s last name begins with A-K, please join us on Monday, August 21.
- If your student’s last name begins with L-Z, please join us on Tuesday, August 22.
We look forward to meeting you.
Lost and Found
- Hairbrushes, combs, picks
- Body wash
- Bras size large and extra large
- Female underwear sizes med, large, and extra large
- Leggings- all sizes
- Male and Female Jogger pants all sizes
We are always looking for volunteers to help organize this space. If you are will to help, please reach out to Andrea Dorn at DornA@district279.org.
WHAT TO DO...
If your child is going to be late or absent from school, please call the school with the reason for the absence. The telephone call eliminates the need to send a note with your student when he/she returns to school. Excused absences consist of illness, medical appointments, and family emergency situations such as a funeral. Oversleeping, missing the bus, or skipping school are not excused and are considered truancy.
MGMS 24 Hour Attendance Line: 763-315-7603.
If you received a call saying your child was absent one or more periods, please check your ParentVue account for the period your student was absent. Have your child talk to the teacher for the class that they were marked absent. The teacher will then communicate with our attendance person.
APPOINTMENTS/EARLY RELEASE - HERE IS WHAT YOU DO
1. Send a note with your student in the morning
2. When the student gets to school they go to Student Services to get a white pass
3. At the stated time on the pass, your student leaves class and comes to the office with the white pass and signs out in the main office
4. The person picking up can wait in the car (very helpful on cold winter days)
If you didn't send a note, you will need to come in with your driver's license and we will call your student down when you arrive.
This procedure is in place to ensure student safety.
Student Pick Up and Drop Off
- Please only drop off and pick up students at the curb.
- No students are allowed to walk through the parking lot for safety reasons
- Please watch carefully as you pull away from the curb as staff are crossing the parking lot
- Please do not drop off or pick up students in the second lane nearest the parking lot. That is only for cars passing through.
Thank you for keeping everyone safe.
Moving or Going to Another School
WHO TO CONTACT
School Phone: 763-315-7600...............................Website: https://mgms.district279.org/
Attendance: 763-315-7603………………………………..Transportation: 763-391-7244
Jason Olson, Assistant Principal……..Email: Olsonj@district279.org
Katie Gerdts, Counselor 6th Grade......Email: GerdtsK@district279.org
Patrick Smith, Principal………………….Email: SmithPatrick@district279.org
Megan Woods, Counselor 7th Grade...Email: :WoodsM@district279.org
Jennifer Hinker, Assistant Principal.....Email: HinkerJ@district279.org
Kaia Paquin, Counselor 8th Grade.......Email: PaquinK@district279.org
Student Management Specialists Assist With All Grades
Nathanial Davies (Grade 7 & 8 A-L) – Email: DaviesN@district279.org
Levy Jones (Grade 6 & 8 M-Z) - Email: JonesL@district279.org
District Tip Line.........763-391-8660