moving to the shrubs
- the baby boom and suburban boom went hand in hand
- the G.i Bill subsidized low-cost mortgages for returning soldiers , which meant that it was often cheaper to buy one of these suburban houses than it was to rent an apartment in the city
- the houses were perfect for young families .
- they had informal family rooms
interstate highway system
- on June 29,1956 president Dwight Eisenhower signed the federal-aid highway act of 1956.
- the bill created a 41,000-mile 'National system of interstate and defense highways.
- according to Eisenhower eliminate unsafe roads, inefficient routes,traffic jams,and all over other things that got in the way of 'speedy ,safe transcontinental travel."