Mrs. Dearmon's Rockin' Fourth Grade
May 16th - May 20th
- A very BIG thank for all the parents who volunteered to bake cookies and send in supplies for our Virginia cookie review. The kids had a great time and did a nice job. See pictures below of our creations.
- VA. Studies SOL testing is this week. The test for our whole class is on Wednesday morning. The students do not need a snack.
- To review for the Va. Studies test, the students can go on Edmodo to link to SOL Pass. This has been purchased for the school. Once you find our school listed, the password is husky. There are many activities to review all the information.
- Interims will be coming home on Friday.
- Barnes and Noble Night 4 - 8 PM. If you attend, you can go dressed as a super hero.
What is Going on This Week in Curriculum?
Mrs. Dearmon's Math Class
- Again, each day we will focus on an SOL item and the students will have small group activities to review. There will be a HW sheet to review the SOL from that day. A quiz will be held at the end of each review rotation.
- Monday we have a quiz on last week's rotations. Then we will be reviewing measurement and elapsed time.
- Tuesday we review geometry concepts
- Wednesday is a review of graphs (bar and line) and patterns (geometric and number)
- Thursday is a review of GCF/LCM, adding and subtracting fractions, and simplifying them.
- Friday we review adding and subtracting decimals, equalities, and the associative property.
Math will be held in the afternoon on Tuesday and Wednesday due to the SOL testing in the morning those days.
Reminder that most of the students will be testing on May 24th and 26th. Mrs. Bell's students will be testing on May 25th and 27th.
Ms. Olmeda's Math Class
- Students will continue to review for their Math SOL. We are reviewing the units in class, and please have students practice their multiplication facts on a daily basis.
- Students can earn extra credit points for 30 minutes they practice/spend on Jefferson Lab. The link for the website is http://education.jlab.org/solquiz/question.html?30023096. The deadline for this opportunity is Friday, May 20th. Please write a note or email me saying that your child has completed 30 minutes of activity on Jefferson Lab (email address: JenniferL_Olmeda@ccpsnet.net).
- The students will have their Math SOL on Monday, May 23. Your child needs to bring a water bottle, healthy snack (not wet or sticky - granola bar, crackers, pretzels, etc.), and a book to read. We will be eating at our regular time tomorrow but students may bring a snack if they would like. We will remain in the lab until everyone in the class has completed their test. Students are permitted to bring gum as long as it is not bubble gum, it must be sugar free chewing gum. Your child needs to get a good night's sleep tonight and eat a nutritious, protein-filled breakfast in the morning.
- After the SOL, the students will take their Math end of the year assessment. This is the same assessment the students took in the beginning of the year. It is used to measure growth of the students throughout the past few months. Following this assessment, the students will continue to review the material we have learned the past few months.
- I will not be here the week of May 23. I am getting married at the end of the week, and I will be out of the country the following week. If you have any sort of questions or issues, please contact the front office. The students will have a familiar substitute that week. Please email me this week if you have any questions of concerns.
- During our reading block this week, we will be working on Virginia Studies review. The students will be completing activities to review all of the SOL concepts.
- Thursday we will be listening to the new newspaper and working on the questions that go along with the newspaper.
- We will be completing a Daily Language week with a quiz on Friday.
- We will not be writing this week, but will begin our final writing next week.
- methods of seed dispersal
- parts of the flower and their roles in pollination
We will have a test on plants part 1 on Tuesday, May 24th.
- Va. Studies SOL test is Wednesday.
- Reminder to go on Edmodo to play a variety of games using the website, SOL pass
Spring Run Elementary Room 500
Fourth Grade Teacher