What's Happening - October Edition
News & Events for Pius X Seniors
Plan your dates to take the ACT and/or SAT this fall! Click here to check out a variety of different test preparation services!
ACT Registration Deadlines & Test Dates.
11/06/15 - 12/12/15 - Final Opportunity for ACT for most scholarship applications!
01/08/16 - 02/06/16
03/04/16 - 04/09/16
05/06/16 - 06/11/16
SAT Registration Deadlines & Test Dates.
10/09/15 - 11/07/15
11/05/15 - 12/05/15
12/28/15 - 01/23/16
02/05/16 - 03/05/16
04/08/16 - 05/07/16
05/05/16 - 04/06/16
- Most seniors completed their senior meetings by September 29th. Counselors will still be available throughout the year for both parents and students as need arises for help with college related questions.
- October 17th is the Greater Nebraska College Fair from 1:00-3:00 at SCC!
- October 22nd will be an Apply4College Day in the Pius X library from 7:30am-4:00pm! Counselors and college admissions representatives will be here to assist students with applying to colleges. Seniors are invited to stop by before school, after school, or during free periods!
- November 30th is the college financial aid meeting for parents! Meeting will take place at 6:00pm in the LPAC. Mark your calendars!
- Students should list all colleges they are applying to under the Colleges tab in Naviance.
- All transcript requests must be made through Naviance, even if a student is using SENDedu or another service. Request transcripts under the Colleges tab in Naviance.
- Be sure to thoroughly read instructions when completing college applications! All applications are unique and must be completed correctly. Pius X counselors cannot get into applications on college websites to answer questions. Please use college admissions staff for questions about that college's application.
- All college representatives visiting Pius X are listed in Naviance! Check the list regularly. Students must sign up in Naviance and get a permission slip from the Guidance Office to attend if the visit occurs during class time.
Attending the University of Nebraska
- Attend a Red-Letter Day at UNL! Click here to register!
- Students completing an application will report the credits they have taken in each subject area at Pius X. This information can be found on Naviance under the Courses tab. Students must also correctly report their class rank. There are 268 students in the senior class and class rank can be found on the transcript given during senior meetings.
- January 15th is the final day to apply to UNL and be considered for scholarships.
- Students should NOT request that transcripts be sent to UNL or UNO until the end of the school year, and should only make such a request if they have been accepted and plan to attend.
- The University of Nebraska-Lincoln has three separate honors programs. Find more information about these programs by clicking here!
- November 15th is the fall deadline to apply for the Raikes Honors Program or the CBA Honors Academy! Students must begin by applying to UNL.
- The UNL Honors Program has two deadlines: November 15th and April 1st.
- Comprehensive University scholarships are awarded based on ACT/SAT scores. Be sure scores are sent directly to the University. Other factors considered include: rigor and quality of courses taken in high school, class rank, and GPA. Students are encouraged to complete the optional personal statement to be considered for other scholarships. Other departmental scholarships exist as well. Contact the college or department of interest to find out about these opportunities!
- NEW this year: Students applying to UNO have the option of uploading their courses and uploading their transcripts rather than requesting them in Naviance.
Scholarships are competitive! Earning free financial assistance requires time and persistence. Utilize these opportunities to give yourself the best shot at free financial resources!
- December 9-11th is the Senior Scholarship Social in the Blessed Mother Teresa Room! Seniors are invited for refreshments and times to complete scholarship applications.
- Set up your account with Scholarshipquest! This targets scholarships available to students going to college in Nebraska.
- Check out scholarship opportunities on the websites of colleges you are exploring.
- Wanting to attend an out of state college in the Midwest? Complete the Midwest Student Exchange Program application!
- Set up accounts on these national scholarship databases if exploring out of state colleges: Scholarships. SchoolSoup. Scholarshipjunkies. Unigo.
Planning Ahead for Graduation
- Graduation fee of $60 can be paid at any time.
- May 16th will be the senior-parent breakfast. Senior/Parent Breakfast costs $22 per person. Each person must purchase a ticket.
- May 17-18th will be senior finals.
- Senior t-shirts will cost $10-$12 dollars.
- Senior video will cost $20.
- Post Graduation Party will cost $25.
- Graduation will be on May 22nd at the Lied Center at 1:30 pm.
Students and families who might need assistance with costs can contact a counselor in advance for help.