Bella Vista Staff Bulletin
06/08/2015 v.1 issue 32
Quote of the Week
Balanced Literacy Wrap Up
We have come a long way in our implementation of Balanced Literacy. This year's highlights include utilizing interactive read alouds and continuing our refinement of Guided Reading to move students' reading levels. Next year we will focus on conferring during reading and writing workshop.
As the year wraps up, please note the following:
- Please return all Guided Reading books to the proper bins in room X by Friday.
- Please return all other book sets borrowed from room X to the proper shelves by Friday.
- Organize and put all materials back into your Fountas and Pinnell Benchmark Assessment box. These will be turned in, since there are grade level changes for many staff members.
- Please fill out the reading record folders that are in your Benchmark Assessment box, so they can be passed along to next year's teachers.
- 5th grade teachers should give their folders to Ms. Seaberg or Mrs. Cho so they can be used by the K teachers next school year.
Summer Professional Learning
- There are numerous opportunities for teachers to participate in professional learning this summer in many subject areas.
- Please refer to the catalog that was emailed to you last month.
- Registration must be completed On-Track. If you have problems with On-Track please see Ms. Seaberg or Ms. Phillips.
- While it is not mandatory to take any professional development over the summer, it is highly encouraged.
End of Year Checklists for All Staff
- Closing checklists will be given out to all staff members by the end of the day on Tuesday.
- These will need to be completed before anyone may check out for the summer.
- Staff members returning next year should ensure that all personal belongings are either taken home or secured in a locked cabinet.
End of Year Celebrations
- 5th Grade Promotion -Tue 6/9 @ 1:30 Oakland HS Theater
- Staff Year-End Potluck -Wed 6/10 @ 1:45 Room 11
- Neighborhood "Portable Removal" Celebration, Upper Yard, Wed 06/10 @2:30
- 5th Grade Dance -Wed 6/10 @ 4:00 BV Auditorium
- Kindergarten Promotion -Thu 6/11 @ 9:15 BV Auditorium
- TK Celebration-Thu 06/11 @11:00 AM, Lower Yard
Preliminary Spring F&P Reading Assessment Results
In our school's year-long goal of having 60% of students reading at grade level by the end of the school year, this is where we stand thus far. There are still a few more classes scores to scan on Monday.
- K-65% at or above benchmark
- 1st grade-67% at or above benchmark
- 2nd grade-65% at or above benchmark
- 3rd grade-53% at or above benchmark
- 4th grade-28% at or above benchmark
- 5th grade-40% at or above benchmark
Congratulations Mrs. Cho!
As many of you know, Mrs. Cho was applying for the Common Core Teacher Leader position this spring. Last week, she was given word that she was chosen for this position at Bella Vista next year. This means she will be coaching teachers in ELA and ELD and also providing intervention to students.
Mon., June 8
- Final LESSON PLANS DUE FROM: : Chen, Garcia, Hansen, Lew, Morente, V. Nguyen, O’Brien, Rajanikanth, Schooling, Stone, Tai, Thai and Ung
- Field Trip – Oakland Ice Center (O’Brien, Tai, Thai and Webb)
- LAST DAY FOR EBAYC AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM
- 2:55 Faculty Meeting for OEA Members
Tues., June 9
- 1:30 Fifth Grade Promotion Ceremony (Oakland High School)
Weds., June 10
- 1:45 Staff End-of-Year Potluck (room 11)
- 4:00 Fifth Grade Dance (Auditorium)
Thurs., June 11
- MINIMUM DAY
- LAST DAY OF SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
- LAST WORK DAY FOR MOST CLASSIFIED STAFF
- 9:00 Kindergarten Promotion Ceremony (Auditorium)
- 11:30 TK Celebration (lower yard)
Fri., June 12
LAST WORK DAY FOR TEACHERS