Blue Valley North's Parent Newsletter - October 16, 2020
In this Newsletter …
A Letter from North Administrators
Course Fee Payment Info
New Aux Gym Construction Begins Next Week
Tips for Students
Schedule for October
Yearbook Order info
Senior Class of 2021
BVN Assistance for Families
BVN Social Media
Mark Your Calendar
Mustang Medical Messages
Bus Rider Message from Durham
Join BV Support Team
New Parent Booster Club Spiritwear
A Letter from North Administrators
We want to thank all of you as we have progressed through this first quarter in both virtual and hybrid learning modes. We have not been able to host many of our typical Back to School events, but we are very excited to connect with families individually through Parent-Teacher Conferences. Much is different this year, but our focus remains on building relationships with students in order to provide high quality learning experiences for every student. We know our families are essential partners in each child’s education. We are looking forward to talking with you. Our teachers have a lot of information to share and we want to hear your thoughts and questions. Social Emotional Learning will be a part of this conversation - what teachers observe, how we are supporting your student as well as your observations and questions. We will discuss academics; where your student is today and the plan to move forward. We know this is of concern to our families.
Please schedule a conference. On Monday, you will receive an email with links to each teacher’s conference sign-up page. Given the flexibility available in doing zoom conferences, we have allowed our teachers to schedule their conferences over a two week period of time, beginning on Monday, October 19 through Tuesday, November 3. The document that goes out next week will allow you to see when each teacher is holding conferences and sign up to meet with the teachers you would like to visit with. Please be on the lookout for that email on Monday!
We are looking forward to talking with you.
Blue Valley North Administration
Blue Valley North High School
Course Fee Payment is Now Open
High school in-person/VirtualED course fee payment for the 2020-21 school year is open and online now. Your ParentVUE login and password are required to pay course fees.
Course fees are assigned based on your student’s enrollment.
Course fees are assigned for the first semester only.
Questions regarding fee payment should be directed to our BVN Bookkeeper, Linda Kaphingst, email: email@example.com .
The safety of Blue Valley North students and staff continues to be a top priority. In an effort to keep our school community informed when we have a positive case, families can expect the following:
- Families will be contacted directly if through the contact tracing process conducted by the Johnson County Department of Health and Environment (JCDHE) and the district's health professionals' team:
1. your child was identified as a low-risk exposure of a student or staff member
who tested positive for COVID-19.
2. your child was identified as a high-risk exposure/close contact of a student
or staff member who tested positive for COVID-19.
- If your child’s proximity to or nature of the interaction with the positive individual did not indicate a low or high-risk exposure, then you will not be contacted.
NOTE: Positive cases by school are reflected on the BV COVID Dashboard. The dashboard is updated every Friday with information from the prior week (Wednesday to Wednesday).
New Auxiliary Gym Construction Begins Next Week
Tips for Students and Parents
Please make sure your student's cell phone number is listed in ParentVue/StudentVue!
This year, more than ever, we'll be utilizing our mass communication tool to send text reminders to students as well as parents.
Students! Check Your Student Email Daily
Students, it is important that you get in the habit of checking your school email frequently. We recommend checking it three times a day (morning, lunch, and the end of day). Thank you!
Report Student Absences
Please prepare in advance for your student's absences if at all possible. We cannot get kids out of class easily. If you know your student will need to leave early during a school day, there are multiple ways to expedite the process:
- Send a note in with your student--they should drop it at the Attendance window on their way in.
- Email the Attendance office, firstname.lastname@example.org , preferably a day in advance of the absence.
- Use ParentVue: This is an easy, efficient way to report your student's absence. Once you sign into ParentVue, you will see your student’s name and a blue button titled “Report Absence.” It takes you to a screen when you can select the start date and end date, and reason code. There is also a box titled “Note” where you can put additional information. Don’t forget to hit the “Save” button.
Also, if arriving late or leaving early, your student will need to check in/out at the attendance window using a cell phone. If you have questions, please contact Rita Mouber, BVN Attendance Manager, 913-239-3001.
News from the BVN Library
The library website is now accessible from all Canvas pages. In the navigation list on the left side you should see Library. Or: Click here to visit the BVN Library website . From the library website, students and staff can now chat with the librarians during school hours. Look in the upper right corner. No question is too big or small!
Hybrid Schedule for October
For the month of October, we have moved to a hybrid schedule. You will find the schedule below along with the daily bell schedule. Please note these reminders:
- On odd days, students will be let in the building at 7:30 a.m.
- On even days, students will be let in the building at 8:15 a.m.
- Bus riders will be directed to the gym where they will be supervised and socially distanced until going to class.
- Students will need to leave the building immediately after school.
- Attendance needs a minimum of two hours notice to get your student out of class for an appointment. You will be unable to pull up to the school, call the main office and ask for your student to be released. Email AttendanceBVN@bluevalleyk12.org.
- No visitors will be allowed in the building including parents or vendors. This is for the protection of our students and staff.
- Parents will be unable to drop-off forgotten items including laptops, sports equipment, lunch, etc. Please work with your student the night before school to assure they have everything they need for their school day at BVN.
- Thank you for teaming with BVN to keep your students safe!
Thursday, October 29th Adjusted Schedule
B Students (alpha M-Z) will attend In-Person for a traditional all block schedule (1-7).
Hour 1 -- 7:45 - 8:30
Hour 2 -- 8:35 - 9:20
Hour 3 -- 9:25 - 10:10
Hour 4 -- 10:15 - 11:00
Hour 5 & Lunch -- 11:05 - 1:10
***Students will use the same lunch period/location as 5th hour ODD block days
Hour 6 -- 1:15 - 2:00
Hour 7 -- 2:05 - 2:50
A Students (alpha A-L) will engage in asynchronous or synchronous activities all day from home. This format will help maintain consistency with MS and VirtualED schedules.
Purchase Your Student's Yearbook on ParentVue!
Counseling, Academics & Testing
- Schedule Changes - Level Changes and Drops
- JCCC and Baker Concurrent Credit Information and Deadlines
- Senior College Application Information
- AP Test Information and Deadlines
- New middle school WL credit information
Virtual College Visits on Naviance
News from North – New Video Posted!
Questions? Contact Theresa Gonzalez @ (913)239-3016 or email@example.com
Senior Info for Class of 2021 (new )
We have a new Canvas page for all Senior information! Check here regularly through the year:
Click here for: SENIOR INFO
This canvas page currently has links to and info about:
- Ordering your senior shirt--due by October 29
- Final Deadline info for senior tribute ad in the yearbook
(no materials accepted after Nov. 12!)
- An info video from Balfour about how to order your cap & gown and announcements
- A link to let us know how you want your senior's name printed on the diploma, along with authorizing the release of your student's transcript
- Info about your last chance to take your senior portrait
We will update this Canvas page as new info becomes available--you no longer have to wait for Friday to get updates from this parent newsletter--you can check the Canvas page any time.
One Crew One Day Mustang Coat Drive (new)
Attention Mustangs! NHS is sponsoring the One Crew One Day Mustang Coat Drive in partnership with the Maze Foundation and their annual Kid's Coat Drive. The Foundation is looking for new or very slightly used boys' and girls' coats, ages 5-17. The Foundation's Goal this year is 500 coats for the winter season. Recipients include the Salvation Army Children's Center, Restart, Cornerstones of Care, KVC, the Hope Center and the Halo Foundation. Donations may be made at BVN from Monday, October 19th through Friday, November 6th. Please bring your donations to the office area; there will be a donation box. Time spent soliciting donations may be used for service hours. Any questions, please contact Theodore Kupper (firstname.lastname@example.org). We appreciate your support!
Baseball Parent Meeting: (new)
- Who – Any new family to BVN that is interested in baseball
- When – Next Tuesday, October 20th, at 6:30pm
- Format – Virtual/Zoom
- Click on this link to sign-up for the meeting. Zoom information will be sent out on Monday, 10/19/20, in an email.
School Photo Orders (new)
Picture Days were Oct. 6 & 8 at North! If you placed a pre-order for photos, the picture packets will be delivered to your student at school soon. If you did not pre-purchase, your student will be given a proof sheet with an order form, which you can mail with payment to Rolland or purchase from their website. Proofs are online now--Go to www.rollandkc.com and click on either "Seniors" or "K-11", then "View Images". The next screen will ask you to input a code--this is your student's ID number. You'll enter your email and then you can see your student's proofs.
Student Photo Retakes & Senior Last Chance
If your student was not able to get their yearbook photo taken or would like a re-take, Rolland Studios will be at BVN again in November -- dates and times TBA. Questions? Contact BVN Activities: Lisa Miller @ email@example.com .
Freshmen Class of 2024--Yard Signs
The PBC has purchased and distributed signs to welcome our new class of Mustangs! If you did not receive a yard sign (due to gated communities or address not in directory) please call 239-3000 and arrange to pick one up. Mustang Proud!
MS/HS World Language Credit Info
9th grade students and families only - This information is only for students who have completed 3 years of middle school world language and will seek to have high school world language credit awarded. In July 2020, the Board of Education revised the policy on high school credit for world language courses successfully completed. Students will have the option of receiving 2 credits for successful completion of the middle school world language series. More detailed information and directions will be sent in a separate email. This process is now automated through ParentVue and the email will be sent from that system.
Student Technology Help
On the Canvas Course card titled BVN Student Hub 2020-2021 there is student support information. After looking at the information in the BVN Student Hub, if you are struggling with technology, there is help.
- If your computer is broken please submit a BVCARE ticket and someone from I.T. will reach out to you. A link to BVCARE can be found on the BVN Student Hub or at www.bluevalleyk12.org / I would like to… / BVCARE- Technology help
- If you are having problems with a specific assignment or course in Canvas, always reach out to your teacher first.
- If you have questions about instructional tools (Canvas, Google Drive, Zoom…) or something is not working the way it should, there is a daily Student Help Zoom from 12:30-1:15pm. To access this Zoom, open Canvas / Click on the BVN Student Hub 2020-2021 Course Card / Click on Zoom / Join anytime between 12:30-1:15pm.
USDA extends free meals for students through 2020
As a result of extended USDA funding opportunities, all students enrolled in Blue Valley will be able to eat for FREE as of Sept. 9, 2020, regardless of eligibility status, until further notice. This includes complete breakfast and lunch meals for students who are dining in-person/hybrid at the elementary level, middle and high school students currently in the Distance Learning model, and all students enrolled in the all-virtual model, VirtualED. Please help out the Food and Nutrition Department and consider eating a complete breakfast and lunch meal at school for free. A la carte items will be charged at the set price and are not free.
BVN Assistance for Families
My name is Lisa Summers and I am the Social Worker for Blue Valley North. I know it has been a difficult several months, both financially & emotionally, for families. I wanted to let families know we are here to help. BVN has a limited amount of funds to assist families. I am also available to assist families with resources in our area.
Please give me a call (913)239-3116 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Programs that BVN offers include:
· BVN has school supplies
· Back Snack Program. Snacks will be distributed to students on a weekly basis.
· Give the Basics Program: Shampoo, Conditioner, lotion, deodorant, toothbrush, and toothpaste, etc.
You can also contact BVNCommunityCares@gmail.com with your needs.
Blue Valley North Social Media
Blue Valley North High School now has official social media accounts, monitored by our very own BVN Administration Team. Please follow for announcements and information if you use these social media tools. Thanks for your support!
Mark Your Calendar
October - Hybrid Mode
Oct. 30 - No School
Nov. 3 - Election Day/All Students at Home Distance Learning
Nov. 6 - No School/End of 1st Quarter
Nov. 25-27 - Thanksgiving Break
Dec. 23-Jan. 1 - Winter Break
Jan. 4 - School Resumes
Jan. 13-15 - Final Exams
Jan. 15 - End of 1st Semester
Jan. 18 - No School/Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
Upcoming All School Events
All BVN events, activities, sporting events and additional calendar adjustments are found on the EKL calendar: www.easternkansasleague.org
Click here for the revised 2020-21 Blue Valley School District Calendar.
Mustang Medical Messages
COVID-19 Testing Opportunity- Saturday, Oct. 17
Johnson County Department of Health and Environment is partnering with local organizations and the Mid America Regional Council to provide expanded testing opportunities. In addition to drive-thru testing available at the JCDHE health clinic, you can also get tested in Olathe at the Health Partnership Clinic. The test is FREE and open to anyone 12 and older, regardless of symptoms. Registration is required, by calling 913-648-2266, to reserve your spot. The event runs from 9 a.m. to noon, Saturday, Oct. 17, at 407 S. Clairborne Rd., Suite 2, Olathe. Follow event parking signs. Park in a designated spot between the orange cones and stay in your car.
- Thank you all for keeping your student's immunizations up to date. If you received an Immunization Final Notice please fax or e-mail in your updated immunization record to 913-239-3038 or email@example.com. I greatly appreciate your time and kindness in working with Sandra and I in getting these records up to date. Kansas Immunization Requirements are shown below.
- Protect yourself from COVID-19: Wash or sanitize your hands regularly, Avoid touching your face and mask, maintain 6 feet distance from others when possible, wear a CDC recommended mask in public settings. Cover your cough with your elbow, enjoy the great outdoors, keep social contacts limited, if you're sick, stay home and consider getting a test.
- Planning any travel for the Holidays? Consider looking over Kansas Travel Exposure Related Isolation & Quarantine Guidelines:
KS Travel Guidelines / Quarantine Guidelines
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to e-mail Amanda Collichio, BVN Nurse, at firstname.lastname@example.org. or call at 913-239-3013.
Students Riding the Bus ~ A Message from Durham
Families that have registered for the bus by the initial deadline should have received a letter from Durham in August with bus stop location, stop time and bus number. The letter went on to provide stop times for when the District is in Hybrid or All in School. Durham has decided to not use the Hybrid stop times and instead only use the All in School stop times regardless of what mode the District is in.
If you have any questions regarding bus registration please call Durham at 913-681-2492. Note that it is best to call outside of route times, between 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. or email email@example.com.
Join BV support team ~ make a difference in your community
The Blue Valley School District is actively seeking applications for new members of our support team. Across the country, school districts are experiencing difficulties staffing several of the most critical school support roles. If 2020 has shown us anything, it is that together, anything is possible. With that in mind, we are asking you to join us in the driver’s seat, in the classroom, in the lunchroom and in our schools to help us provide the best in-person learning experience for our students. Blue Valley is seeking applications for the following support roles within our district:
- Bus drivers (Training provided)
- Substitute teachers (60 hours college credit required to apply)
- Food Service workers
If you are looking to make a positive impact in your community and in the lives of our children, we encourage you to apply for one of these support opportunities in the district, or share this information with someone you think would be a good fit to join our team. For more information and to apply for school-level openings, visit the Blue Valley employment website. Apply for bus driver positions online.
We are Mustang Proud!
North Notes is a newsletter for the parents and students of Blue Valley North High School. If you have questions, please contact Janet Roush, Assistant to the Principal, at JRoush@bluevalleyk12.org . Thank you!
Blue Valley North High School